Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm planning a 7000+ mile ride this summer and I'm currently getting my aging 2011 Street Glide ready for the long haul. I've long thought about adding a tour pack and I've been investigating aftermarket tour packs like Advanblack which can color match to my Sedona Orange paint. But I'm cheap and I don't really feel like spending that kind of money, especially when they don't have aftermarket speakers or lights.

So I've been considering buying a used factory tour pack off an Electra-Glide or Ultra. I've seen reclaimed tour packs with speakers and lights for a decent bargain on ebay. Of course none of them are color matched so maybe vivid black won't look too bad. Apparently there are aftermarket wiring harnesses that will connect Harley tour pack lighting to the factory harness under the seat which seems easy enough. And I have an aftermarket stereo and amp which will mean I could easily run some speaker wire and connectors to the rear. Not having color matched might look sort of *******, but it's not going to be used full time, just when I would normally have a bunch of baggage bungied to the back.

Thoughts on which way to go? Aftermarket, reclaimed, or just keep living without?

·
Try'n to behave
6,170 Posts
What's the cost difference between the two options?

I am kind of cheap sometimes. Black goes with everything and if you can save a bunch of money buying used that will work with your bike, you can always have it repainted at some later date.

Reactions: ravnwood

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Dont buy the cheap ebay ones, go with the harley tour pack you can find them used and paint it if you have too, I just got a new one it was 2500 keyed to my bike, go used.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What's the cost difference between the two options?

I am kind of cheap sometimes. Black goes with everything and if you can save a bunch of money buying used that will work with your bike, you can always have it repainted at some later date.
An advanblack king tour pak, color matched, with a liner, the rack on top, and the rack it sits upon is $1216. (Save $170 by ditching the inside liner.) A used black "OEM Harley Davidson 2013 Tour Pack Trunk With Back Rest And Speakers" is currently on ebay for $591 shipped. I'd have to buy a wiring harness for the lights ($30) and the quick detach rack ($50-100), which would put me in for about $700 plus maybe another $50 for some heavy gauge speaker wire and detachable connectors to wire up the speakers to the amp.

I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on the ebay one since it has speakers and lights built in whereas the advanblack doesn't. To be honest, it's not so much about the money than it's about the value. If the Advanblack came with speakers and lights I'd be all in on the color matched option.

As for tekslk's suggestion, $2500 for a keyed tour pack is probably a bridge too far. The bike is going on 11 years old and far from being a show bike. It's got scratches, and it's usually dirty and got bugs all over it. It's got 45k miles on the odometer and gets ridden on pretty much any long distance trip that I take (for tootling around town or day rides I usually take the '92 softail). I used to fly and ride but I recently parted ways with eagle rider for rentals (a very long story) so now the street glide will likely get a lot more mileage going forward. Since I'm one of the rare birds that actually rides two bikes, at a certain price point I'd sell the Street Glide and buy an Ultra Classic. I'd rather milk this bike for all she's got before I do something like that though.

Reactions: JLR

·
Registered
836 Posts
You could go with a backrest and a king luggage rack, then get a soft bag of the size you want to put on the luggage rack that slides over the backrest. With the trunk, once you put it on the bike, you will find more reasons to leave it on than to take it off. Especially if you have it lighted and have speakers on it.

·
Try'n to behave
6,170 Posts
Personally, I would go used OEM. Something to be said for "branded" and for that price point you may get a good portion of your money back when you sell.

Although, Slingshot had a good suggestion too.

Reactions: ravnwood

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two up or single rider?
Single.. Probably put motorcycle luggage on back seat duffle on tour pack top rack and fill tour pack and saddle bags with riding gear.

Sans tour pack I end up with the luggage on the luggage rack (tied to the quick detach backrest), duffle on the back seat and riding gear in the saddle bags.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could go with a backrest and a king luggage rack, then get a soft bag of the size you want to put on the luggage rack that slides over the backrest. With the trunk, once you put it on the bike, you will find more reasons to leave it on than to take it off. Especially if you have it lighted and have speakers on it.
I have a low profile luggage rack and quick detach backrest already. I usually hang my bags off of those. That's kind of why I would want a tour pack with speakers and lights. Adds more value than just a tour pack alone.

·
Former Lurker
3,281 Posts
I spent 2500+ for a TP with lights, speakers etc, plus 700 for them to put it all together... Really angry at the 700, I was pretty clear with the parts guy that we had included labor with his estimate. Guess not. They also ordered half the parts in chrome and installed them, had to have them order and re-install black. (Blacked out bike.) I really like having the color matched TP... Just still a little sore from the bending over.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I spent 2500+ for a TP with lights, speakers etc, plus 700 for them to put it all together... Really angry at the 700, I was pretty clear with the parts guy that we had included labor with his estimate. Guess not. They also ordered half the parts in chrome and installed them, had to have them order and re-install black. (Blacked out bike.) I really like having the color matched TP... Just still a little sore from the bending over.
I'm glad you eventually got what you wanted. I'm trying to figure out how this took 4-5 hours to install. How did they get to $700?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spent 2500+ for a TP with lights, speakers etc, plus 700 for them to put it all together...
Is that Harley or aftermarket? I don't think Harley makes them for 2011, but I could be wrong. At this point I'm tempted to just do it right. Last year I replaced the failed OEM stereo with a Rockford Fosgate system. I do self install, so I'm not worried about the labor.

Here's where I'm leaning: Color matched (sedona orange) king tour pack from Advanblack. Buy some 6.5" speaker pods that fit (need to research), and some Rockford Fosgate 6.5" motorcycle speakers (to exactly match the front speakers). Then I'd just have to assemble everything and run speaker wires from the 4-channel amp up front to the rear tour pack with some quick disconnects (for convenience). That'd be $1200 for the tour pack, $320 for the rear speakers, $50 in wiring and harnesses, and $100-200 for the speaker pods (need to find some that fit).

It's adding up, but if it looks nice I'd probably get more use out of it.

·
Former Lurker
3,281 Posts
Is that Harley or aftermarket? I don't think Harley makes them for 2011, but I could be wrong. At this point I'm tempted to just do it right. Last year I replaced the failed OEM stereo with a Rockford Fosgate system. I do self install, so I'm not worried about the labor.

Here's where I'm leaning: Color matched (sedona orange) king tour pack from Advanblack. Buy some 6.5" speaker pods that fit (need to research), and some Rockford Fosgate 6.5" motorcycle speakers (to exactly match the front speakers). Then I'd just have to assemble everything and run speaker wires from the 4-channel amp up front to the rear tour pack with some quick disconnects (for convenience). That'd be $1200 for the tour pack, $320 for the rear speakers, $50 in wiring and harnesses, and $100-200 for the speaker pods (need to find some that fit).

It's adding up, but if it looks nice I'd probably get more use out of it.
Mine was a factory King TP in bill blue for a 19 rgs. With light bar, speakers, wiring, top rack etc...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the comments. I'm finally out of analysis paralysis and ordered the color matched aftermarket tour pack from advanblack. That gives me 6 weeks to save up for the speaker pods and rear speakers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts