Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a king tour pak the other day and was taking it apart to get ready for paint. I saw it had a crack right at one of the hinges. So I want to repair that crack before sending it to my painter.

After researching on line for a while I am a bit confused about what these bags/tour paks are made of. At first I thought it was ABS plastic, but then read it was actually GTX plastic and any and all ABS adhesives won't work with GTX. So I am very confused.

So does any one actually know what the tour paks and bags are made of? And any one ever repair a crack? How did ha do it?

Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
319 Posts
I thought they were ABS plastic. They used to be made from fiberglass but had too many issues with cracking at the mounting points. Some one will chime in and help you .

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Your best, easiest way to tell and get repaired is to take it to a large auto paint and body shop. They are familiar with, and have the methods to repair the various plastic type materials used.
Plastic repair is called "welding" now, with melted materials.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your best, easiest way to tell and get repaired is to take it to a large auto paint and body shop. They are familiar with, and have the methods to repair the various plastic type materials used.

Plastic repair is called "welding" now, with melted materials.

Yepper that's my plan now. I just learned a friend of a friend works at the local Ford body shop and also they ride together too. He said the body guys could fix it up with no problem. Headed there Monday, thanks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts