Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I recently bought the above as I was getting fed up with stuff moving around whilst riding, mainly my phone which I put on charge in the Tour Pak.

I have to say I am quite disappointed with the MoCo design / method of fixing for this item, I have the liner in the Tour Pak as standard on my Ultra Ltd and the fixing for the pocket system is all based on Velcro. Strips of hooks have to be stuck to the inside walls of the box, first cleaning carefully with Isopropyl alchohol wipes (I used my own optical grade ones from work as the one supplied in the kit was so small it was only good for one of the pockets!!) then there is a hang over strip that velcro's to the strip stuck to the wall and loops over the top of the liner and then with another strip of hooks the pocket system is supposed to attach.

[Note, the stock pocket on the rear wall of the liner is fixed with 2 small black blind rivets with backing washers, and seems to work fine so no idea why they did not supply something similar for the kit!!!]

The velcro in the kit is poor!!! its genuine stuff alright, but having installed the kit as per the Instruction sheet -J05745 I have had problems with both the velcro strips just coming undone!! even with NOTHING in them, let alone the suggested weight limit of 3.0 lbs !!! and the strips peeling off the inside walls of the Pak (they were cleaned very very thoroughly before sticking in place believe me!!, no oil or grease present)

Anyway, this is not a bashing thread, but may help others who will likely have the same issues I have encountered.

I looked at trying to get some rivets to match the stock fixings, but these I could not find, so I searched for an alternative that would achieve the same objective.

I have used some of these Chicago binding screws 6mm high in the Black Oxide finish, with an M5 x 15mm S/S mudguard repair washer.

Chicago Binding screws studs 6 9 13 20 mm silver antique brass gold interscrews | eBay

M3 M4 M5 M6 M8 M10 M12 A2 STAINLESS STEEL PENNY REPAIR WASHERS MUDGUARD WASHER | eBay

They work great and look neater than the looped velcro strips, I drilled 4.8mm (3/16") holes in the liner so they are a snug fit and 5mm in the pocket wall, then used 3 screws, each with a 5mm large diameter backing washer on the wall side on each of the wall organiser sections (9 screws total). Easy to remove as well if needed, as opposed to a permanent fix with rivets..

Hope this helps someone else who has this kit with a workable and neat solution

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was looking for someone who'd done this, as I'm not a fan of the stock velcro solution. How's it holding up? Would you do anything different?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I have had this on my ride for almost 2years. I carry a number of things in it, the shock air pump, a tire gauge, sunscreen, extra pair of glasses, night riding glasses, etc, etc. It has been staying in place and holding all my small goodies. Basically, its doing just what it was supposed to do, no complaints.

Now the one I had for my 2010 wasn't as good, similar to what you describe.

·
Banned
71 Posts
If after you place the stick on pieces where you want them, hit them with a heat gun to melt the glue to the base material . They'll not ever come loose after that . :smile

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I had lid organizers in my saddle bag lids and they didn't stick worth a crap. Velcro kept coming unstuck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts