Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to get my wife a new Street Glide, and need suggestions on pipes. She has V&H on her Heratige and like the sound but still looking for input on pipes for the new bike.

donald

·
Registered
3 Posts
Donald, I run the Supertrapp slip-ons on the stock headers on my '96 Road King and I like 'em a lot. You can adjust the volume by adding/removing diffuser discs.

I'm new to the forum, just signed up today. I'm right up the road from you in Houston.

rt

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 07 street glide with bassani tru-daul header and megaphones
s.e. air filter and stage one bown load and it runs fine no miss no flat spots
no over heating.

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
I have a 2000 Road King and installed Rinehart true duals this summer. I added the high performance baffles which increase mid to top end, plus gives it a throatier sound over the stock baffles. Also available are quieter baffles that increase bottom end. I think the extra cost (actually not that much more than others) was worth it.

I had a set of V&H's long-shots with HP baffles on it prior to the Rinehart's and liked the sound of them as well. The long-shots looked great from the right side but I grew tired of the 'somethings missing look' from the left side view and especially from the rear view.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Torn between the two

I was considering the Rineharts, but my dealer recommended V&H true dual headers going into Kerker mufflers. He said they would be a deeper sound.
They do sound good and I get a lot of compliments on the sound. Not too loud and real deep.
However, the Rineharts now have chrome end caps and off-the-shelf flashes for tuning. I had to use a Race Tuner on a dyno on mine, which complicates things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In reality the stock head pipes work as good or better on a relatively stock engine than true dual type pipes because they have a crossover that helps equalize back pressure out of both exhaust pipes. That adds torque where you need it. On the low end.

All of the mufflers mentioned above are good choices. It just depends on the sound and look you want. I have a '06 street glide with a stage 2 95" set up and S/E 2 mufflers. I find it works and sounds great without being annoying on long rides.
http://www.hogpro.com/imagebox.php?name=pic/gallery2-pic71.jpg

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a 2000 Road King and installed Rinehart true duals this summer. I added the high performance baffles which increase mid to top end, plus gives it a throatier sound over the stock baffles. Also available are quieter baffles that increase bottom end. I think the extra cost (actually not that much more than others) was worth it.
I have Rineharts on my 2004 carbed RK and love 'em! Got them for a very good price from M&M Cycles - nearly $250 cheaper than J&P...but I did buy them in December of 2004.

Best thing for me is the cross-over pipe being eliminated. Riding in Tokyo traffic my right leg would like to catch fire :eek: Much less heat to contend with now :)

I have the torque baffles in, and it pulls like a freight train! Run the SE intake, adjusted the carb and installed a thunderslide kit.

·
Tire Killer
99 Posts
Using the stock crossover is robbing you of about 15% power.
If you want the most power a 2 into 1 is the only way to go.
Check out the White bros. E-series 2-1

·
Registered
84 Posts
Running the Bub 2 into 1 system on my Ultra, have had the same setup on my last three Harleys. With the Big Bore, the 2 into 1 system really adds to the performance level.

I chose the Bub's several years ago because they were not too loud for lower speed in-town riding, but still bring on a grin whenever I roll on the throttle!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm with DaveT. I just put the Bub Rinehart 2 into 1 on my FLHX with an Arlen Ness Big Sucker and Power Commander III/USB and it's an awesome combo without doing any other kind of motor work. It's definitely running a lot cooler with the added fuel from the PCIII and is fairly quiet with the pipes until you get on it and then it BARKS like a big dog! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am interested in the Rinehart true dual. I have either read or heard that eliminating the stock crossover will rob power. What are these baffles that are mentioned that are in Rineharts? I guess you have a choice of 2. One is for low end and the other is for mid and high end? I have 99 Road King, carbureted, Andrew TW21 cam. I now have straight pipes with baffles. I can't take the noise any longer at highway speeds. At idle it sounds great! Also I know that straight pipes mess with the performance.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am interested in the Rinehart true dual. I have either read or heard that eliminating the stock crossover will rob power. What are these baffles that are mentioned that are in Rineharts? I guess you have a choice of 2. One is for low end and the other is for mid and high end? I have 99 Road King, carbureted, Andrew TW21 cam. I now have straight pipes with baffles. I can't take the noise any longer at highway speeds. At idle it sounds great! Also I know that straight pipes mess with the performance.
As far as I know, the best power maker is a 2 into 1 set up, went to that on my Sporty and had no complaints.

Rinehart uses a "stepped header" technology - they actully design exhaust systems for NASCAR teams, so they must know a thing or two. I noticed a big improvement when I went to the true duals.

The two baffles are a torque baffle and a quiet baffle, I have and have used both. I can tell the difference...sticking with the torque baffles (stock when I bought my set).

I highly recommend them :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
FireDawgStew,

I guess one of the things that I think about when hearing and reading about cams, carbureters (jetting), air filters, and exhaust systems is whether I am wasting my money. I begin to wonder if a lot of these alterations are actually best for people operating their motorcycles at 4000+ rpm. I typically donot go above 3200 rpm. But, I still like the looks and sound of the rinehart. I will likely go that route, but for my type of riding I start to have second thoughts on spending the money for them. And I really wonder if my "butt" will feel the added torque.

·
Registered
279 Posts
FireDawgStew,

I guess one of the things that I think about when hearing and reading about cams, carbureters (jetting), air filters, and exhaust systems is whether I am wasting my money. I begin to wonder if a lot of these alterations are actually best for people operating their motorcycles at 4000+ rpm. I typically donot go above 3200 rpm. But, I still like the looks and sound of the rinehart. I will likely go that route, but for my type of riding I start to have second thoughts on spending the money for them. And I really wonder if my "butt" will feel the added torque.
For what it's worth, my motor is stock. All that I have done is install the SE air cleaner, tune the carb and install a thunderslide kit.

I wanted the duals because of riding in Tokyo, it sure cuts down on the heat, and it looks great in my opinion.

Best of luck with whatever you choose :)

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
As far as I know, the best power maker is a 2 into 1 set up, went to that on my Sporty and had no complaints.

Rinehart uses a "stepped header" technology - they actully design exhaust systems for NASCAR teams, so they must know a thing or two. I noticed a big improvement when I went to the true duals.

The two baffles are a torque baffle and a quiet baffle, I have and have used both. I can tell the difference...sticking with the torque baffles (stock when I bought my set).

I highly recommend them :)
There are actually three different baffles;
Quiet baffle, maximizes low end torque
Stock baffle, best for all around performance
Performance baffle, increases top end torque.

I run the performance baffle. The perfomance baffle is a little louder when you crank on it.

I run carbed, stage 1, Youst power tube. I think the previous owner must have did a cam upgrade when the cam bearings were replaced because it pulls real good even 2 up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
True Duals

I have a '05 Ultra and had the factory Stage I kit with stock header and the Screamin' Eagle mufflers. I just put on the V&H true dual headers utilizing the Screamin' Eagle mufflers. Less heat, better sound, but I'm not sure I feel any increase in HP or Torque. My wrench told me I would get 8-12 increase in both.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts