Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to hear what you guys that tour think about changing the stock air cleaner housing with a more free flowing unit ? I have been caught in some pretty good rains and not too sure if I want to risk having a wet filter so far from home. All opinions are appreciated . Thanks.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I have a wide open air cleaner on my '15 SESG that came with a rain sock. I have had to use the rain sock 3 times this summer and it works great. It allows plenty of air and keeps enough water out so no stalling.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply hondo2doc . I have been holding out on the stage 1 because of this and think I'm just going to do it. Really don't mind the look of the stock 14 SG cleaner and the rain protection is good but didn't want to put a k&n in the stock housing. Now the problem of figuring out which one I want to go with. Most of the guys that I ride with around my neck of the woods with don't really tour so the sky is the limit for them. With that said me and momma think that touring is most of the fun of having this bike and we meet our friends at our destinations that trailer their bikes and then ride with us once we are there.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I added the Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner kit to my 2014 Ultra Limited. Works great and I have ridden in some very heavy rains.

It moves the chrome cover out about an inch so a lot of air can get in

·
On the loose
8,723 Posts
The stock backing plate is usually the most restrictive part , stage 1 air cleaners eliminate it and flow plenty of air without exposing the filter to much rain. It's like flipping the air cleaner lid upside down on older cars exposing the whole filter element. They do normally include a better flowing (K&N ) filter also.

·
American
28,712 Posts
Ventilator with a rain sock when needed. But I don't ride in the rain on purpose anyway!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I guess my main concern was actually hearing from you guys that do tour with the open cleaners. I will avoid the rain as much as possible but when your on a trip you really cant. It seems as though it's not a problem as long as the outerwear is on.

·
Registered
140 Posts
There is no advantage between a Heavy Breather or Big Sucker air filter and a stage 1 intake with round K&N air filter element, both style air filters will provide more CFM then the bike can ever use.
The Heavy breather looks cool but it is a PIA when washing the bike or riding in a heavy rain, when I had the heavy breather on my bike I alway kept the rain sock on it because it also kept the bugs out of the filter element.
I didn't like the Heavy Breather much because it took away from my legroom and I got more noise from the throttle body from it. I sold the HB and went back to the stage 1 with a round K&N filter. JMO

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I'm not going the open heavy breather rout. I have lowers on and would make it all cramped up on that side of the bike. Was thinking about the Oval screaming eagle style or a round one. Thanks for the replies guys. Appreciate them.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I've been all over hell and back with a Performance Machine air cleaner, with a rain sock in a DOWNPOUR. If it's just raining, you will be fine.

Anyone that tells you any different is full of shit.

Just for reference......

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1441678209.043935.jpg

Notice the air cleaner.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1441678248.978000.jpg

It's been there for 30k of that 50k. :D

And you can add 3,009 miles to that 50k now. Lol

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
I have been in some serious down pours and I don't stop for rain... I am running a ventilator and only use the rain sock when needed... I have had no problems...

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
I got caught in a real heavy down pour a month or so back and my Heavy Breather didn't have a water problem that I was able to notice. And I didn't have the sock on it.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
X4 on the Ventilator. I've had mine on for 2 years and even though I've been caught in torential rains in several states, I've never used a rainsock.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not sure what year your bike is or you mechanical ability but....
Build your own: http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/engine/46291-diy-c.html

You can also cut the plastic airbox up making your own stage one. The main diff in cutting the plastic vs buying one is they replace the plastic with metal. Same filter and the way the cover attaches is the same. I have pics of how that's done too if interested.
Clif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts