Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2015 Ram 1500 ST Crew Cab 4x2 with 3.6L 8 Spd Trans with 3.55 Rear Axle Ration and Anit Spin Diff Rear Axle....Am totally confused on what I can safely trailer....would like recommendations on toy hauler which sleeps at least 4-6 and can carry two thousand pounds of motorcycles....Thanks for your input in advance...

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
It depends on where you are going. With some helper springs and a load leveler you should be fine on flat ground. Hauling in the mountains is another story. I added an oil cooler on the transmission and didn't have too much trouble with a 30' toy hauler on a bumper hitch, but a goose neck would be better.

If it is a fully equipped camper the weight goes up. There are some pretty neat smaller toy haulers with a minimal camper set up on the market today.

·
Registered
751 Posts
My brother tows a 22 foot toyhauler camper with a Ford that has a 5.0 V8. total weight with bike is around 5-6000 pounds. Hills can be an issue even with that. Well if you want to maintain 70 on a steep grade. I wouldn't try that with the 3.6 liter V6.

I looked again and see the OP is in Florida. Florida is all but completely flat. Might work OK with a small toyhauler camper until he gets up to the western Carolina's. The engine will work really hard though, and the gas consumption will be unreal.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,950 Posts
My brother tows a 22 foot toyhauler camper with a Ford that has a 5.0 V8. total weight with bike is around 5-6000 pounds. Hills can be an issue even with that. Well if you want to maintain 70 on a steep grade. I wouldn't try that with the 3.6 liter V6.

I looked again and see the OP is in Florida. Florida is all but completely flat. Might work OK with a small toyhauler camper until he gets up to the western Carolina's. The engine will work really hard though, and the gas consumption will be unreal.
This basically.

Half ton trucks with V6 engines are just not really made to tow much. There more of a hauling truck where you don't need to hook a big trailer to it but you still want a bigger bed than a small truck.

This being said the 3.6 is a fairly gutsy motor but I'm not sure I'd tow more than 4-5k on any hilly terrain. Don't have much experience with that engine though so don't take my work for it though.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have a 2011 ford extended cab tow package with a 3.7 V6. I towed a 5x8 utility trailer with my Street Glide on board From Canada to Arizona. Sure wouldn't want to pull anymore weight on the hills. Got about 15 MPG.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.