Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Harley Rider
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a toy hauler for me and the Mrs. so we can do some of the things we have always wanted to do. I am curious as to the make and models that you guys may have and what you like and dislike about them. Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What size are you thinking about? And what kind and how many toys? I looked at some last year, but after looking for awhile, I'd be inclined for a RV pulling a toy trailer. Haven't decided yet though so this thread might help.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,506 Posts
Well, I live in a 37' Cyclone Toy Hauler. I think I could help, but I need a few more specifics. What are you planning on doing, for how long at a time, and how many people? It all really plays into it. Ours only has 2 slides. I really wish we had gone with one of the models with 3 slides, but it wasn't in the cards at the time. Like I said, we are full time because of my job and that is me, my wife, and 2 teenage sons.

Any questions, just fire away. I'll help if I can. (BTW almost everyone I know spends the majority of their time in a 5th wheel of some sort.)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well, I live in a 37' Cyclone Toy Hauler. I think I could help, but I need a few more specifics. What are you planning on doing, for how long at a time, and how many people? It all really plays into it. Ours only has 2 slides. I really wish we had gone with one of the models with 3 slides, but it wasn't in the cards at the time. Like I said, we are full time because of my job and that is me, my wife, and 2 teenage sons.

Any questions, just fire away. I'll help if I can. (BTW almost everyone I know spends the majority of their time in a 5th wheel of some sort.)
Can I save your info for future questions Southernman? I hope to be in the market next year and know NOTHING about them.

·
Harley Rider
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just the two of us. Would like a travel trailer with toy box for the bikes. Needs to be closed off from the rest of the trailer. A second head would be great but I have only seen them on 5th wheels. I'm thinking 36' at least. Thanks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have a 35 ft Serra toy box no slides sand gets in tracks and messes them up. I have yet to see one like mine the rear has two Quine beds but the bottom bed is also the dinner table one couch on left that's a twin bed and two Rocking chairs on right and Quine bed up front two ac units . I put a sand rail ant two quads in it no problem. two gas tanks 15 gl for gen 30 for fuel pump and 120 gl water tank. with every thing in and loaded it weights almost 19,000 lb it's just wife and me if I find apic I will post one ImageUploadedByMO Free1366699313.831041.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1366699401.914973.jpg

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,506 Posts
Can I save your info for future questions Southernman? I hope to be in the market next year and know NOTHING about them.
You bet! Anything I can do to help.

Just the two of us. Would like a travel trailer with toy box for the bikes. Needs to be closed off from the rest of the trailer. A second head would be great but I have only seen them on 5th wheels. I'm thinking 36' at least. Thanks.

Mike, with just the two of you they make some pretty neat little bumper pulls with a small garage. You could get a couple of dirt bikes, but probably only one street bike comfortably. The upside is that they leave you a little bit larger living area, and they are a little easier to pull with a 1/2 or 3/4 ton.

If you get a 5th wheel, you will definitely need a one ton truck. I bought one once that was "half-ton towable". It was, if you were going to pull it 30 miles to the lake twice a year. Any more than that and it would've torn up a truck in no time, and forget about doing any mountains.

For just the two of you, a 37 foot with a 12 foot garage like mine should be very comfortable. You could get 2 bikes comfortably in the garage area. The second head would be nice, because the layout of ours has the head in the master bedroom, but it would also take away from living space. They didn't have a floor plan with 2 heads on a toy hauler when I bought mine, but I am pretty sure Cyclone make one now that is like a 1 1/2 bath.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm also looking to buy a Toy Hauler. My wife and I hit up an RV show in Hershey, PA and in York, PA this year. All very nice. I personally wanna go with a 5th wheel >30' but for some reason my OL doesn't want a 5th wheel. She wants a tow behind which limits size and options tremendously.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,506 Posts
I'm also looking to buy a Toy Hauler. My wife and I hit up an RV show in Hershey, PA and in York, PA this year. All very nice. I personally wanna go with a 5th wheel >30' but for some reason my OL doesn't want a 5th wheel. She wants a tow behind which limits size and options tremendously.

Another thing to consider is towability. I've pulled both. A 5th wheel is much more stable especially when you get into some hard side winds. If you are using it for vacation, it would suck to be holed up in a motel for 2 days of your trip witing on the wind to let up enough to feel safe pulling it...Remember, though, I pull my in Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, you get the picture. I've had to shut down for wind even with a 5th wheel.

·
Slave to the grind
567 Posts
I've got a Fuzion (made by Keystone) 302 (36' w/ two slides and 10' garage) and the Dodge 3/4 ton I had pulled that thing (legally) w/ no problem. That trailer was at the upper limit of that trucks rating and I know the next one will be bigger so, I just upgraded to a F-350 dually. Night and day difference as far as stability goes.

Something in the 35' range will give you all that you are looking for. Enjoy the hunt, that'll be the cheapest part of the whole experience. lol

·
Registered
676 Posts
I do not have a toy hauler. I do have a 36' fifth wheel. The fifth wheel is the way to go, it pulls much easier than a bumper pull. I have pulled this trailer with a 3/4 ton, but have since stepped up to a one ton much nice pull. Before this trailer I had a 32' fifth I pulled with a 3/4 ton until I rolled it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You bet! Anything I can do to help.

Mike, with just the two of you they make some pretty neat little bumper pulls with a small garage. You could get a couple of dirt bikes, but probably only one street bike comfortably. The upside is that they leave you a little bit larger living area, and they are a little easier to pull with a 1/2 or 3/4 ton.
Don't want to hijack the thread Southernman but do you know the mfg. or model of the smaller unit you mentioned? I'm single and would be interested in a smaller toyhauler.

thanks! i'll get out of the way now.

bob

·
Registered
753 Posts
Another thing to consider is towability. I've pulled both. A 5th wheel is much more stable especially when you get into some hard side winds. If you are using it for vacation, it would suck to be holed up in a motel for 2 days of your trip witing on the wind to let up enough to feel safe pulling it...Remember, though, I pull my in Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, you get the picture. I've had to shut down for wind even with a 5th wheel.
My cousins fifth wheel blew on it's side going across Lotawatta bridge in Eufaula a half-dozen years ago or so.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,506 Posts
My cousins fifth wheel blew on it's side going across Lotawatta bridge in Eufaula a half-dozen years ago or so.
Yep,

Sometimes you find yourself in a bad situation. That's when you have to be smart enough to realize that it isn't safe to be towing ANYTHING.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,506 Posts
Don't want to hijack the thread Southernman but do you know the mfg. or model of the smaller unit you mentioned? I'm single and would be interested in a smaller toyhauler.

thanks! i'll get out of the way now.

bob
Bob, I think Keystone and Dutchmen both make one. A google search should turn up more than I know about. As a single person, youmight want to consider something like a a car hauler with a living quarters. I have a friend that I work with, and that is what he has. It's a 40 footer I think, with a smalle bedroom/shower/toilet in front, and the rest is for the 39 Plymouth Coupe he is building. He has room for his tools, workbench, car and Harley.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
If the toyhauler does not need to be enclosed you could look into one of these.

Forest River Flagstaff HW31SCTH
2010 Forest River Flagstaff HW31SCTH High Wall Series - Minor hail damage, so we've reduced it to a rock bottom price.  A terrific high wall tent trailer with a 96" x 84" front deck storage for your toys to include motor cycle, 4 wheeler or just

Fleetwood Scorpion S1
Used 2006 Fleetwood Scorpion S1-4148 Pop Up For Sale - Camping World RV Sales - Oakwood

I have been looking at these cause I could easily fit my UTV onto it when I head up into the mountains for a week or 2 of hunting.

·
Harley Rider
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the toyhauler does not need to be enclosed you could look into one of these.

Forest River Flagstaff HW31SCTH
2010 Forest River Flagstaff HW31SCTH High Wall Series - Minor hail damage, so we've reduced it to a rock bottom price.* A terrific high wall tent trailer with a 96" x 84" front deck storage for your toys to include motor cycle, 4 wheeler or just

Fleetwood Scorpion S1
Used 2006 Fleetwood Scorpion S1-4148 Pop Up For Sale - Camping World RV Sales - Oakwood

I have been looking at these cause I could easily fit my UTV onto it when I head up into the mountains for a week or 2 of hunting.
You can take a dump and a shower at the same time. Now that's efficient.:mooning::rofl:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts