Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 957 Posts

·
Noel
7,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The death toll from the coronavirus that began in China and has since spread to several other countries, including the United States, rose to 41 while the number of confirmed cases in China increased to over 1,200, authorities said Saturday.

Infographic easier to see at this link vs the one in the FOX article

·
Registered
21,343 Posts

WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF THE CORONAVIRUS?
Once someone has caught the virus it may take between two and 14 days for them to show any symptoms.
If and when they do, typical signs include:
  • a runny nose
  • a cough
  • sore throat
  • fever (high temperature)
The vast majority of patients – at least 97 per cent, based on available data – will recover from these without any issues or medical help.
In a small group of patients, who seem mainly to be the elderly or those with long-term illnesses, it can lead to pneumonia.
Pneumonia is an infection in which the insides of the lungs swell up and fill with fluid. It makes it increasingly difficult to breathe and, if left untreated, can be fatal and suffocate people.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,922 Posts
I consider it ironic, if not moronic, that there is such early and serious concern about this new virus, when about 2 in 5 people I know do not get flu shots. People who are very concerned about something new, with no track record, are apparently not very concerned with flu, which is running hot right now. Flu killed 80,000 Americans in the 2017-2018 season, 32,000 in the 2018-2019 season, and estimates are Oct 1 2019 - Jan 19 2020 have been between 8200 and 20,000 deaths. When people DON'T get the flu shot, they don't know it won't be a rerun of 1918 Spanish flu season, which killed 670,000 Americans.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I consider it ironic, if not moronic, that there is such early and serious concern about this new virus, when about 2 in 5 people I know do not get flu shots. People who are very concerned about something new, with no track record, are apparently not very concerned with flu, which is running hot right now. Flu killed 80,000 Americans in the 2017-2018 season, 32,000 in the 2018-2019 season, and estimates are Oct 1 2019 - Jan 19 2020 have been between 8200 and 20,000 deaths. When people DON'T get the flu shot, they don't know it won't be a rerun of 1918 Spanish flu season, which killed 670,000 Americans.
That's s scary post! I just might go get the shot now, for the first time since 1981. (when i left active duty)

·
Noel
7,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I usually get it on my annual exam, next one is Wednesday evening, with a new doctor closer to home.
It has not caused me ill effect in prior years, why take more chances this year, it is not protection from this variant but better protected from the more common ones floating around this winter.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts

Very good take on this Nathang. I'm thinking the same argument could be made with gun laws and driving. Laws are in almost all of the states on getting trained before purchasing a hand gun, but no training required to operate a motor vehicle, just pass a super basic and simple test and you are ready to operate the biggest killer of Americans.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,922 Posts
If anybody does get a flu shot, I'd recommend they also consider the series of 2 pneumonia, and there is a new much improved shingles shot, because you really do not want to get shingles. If you're over 65 the special "senior" flu shot is 4x as strong, reflecting the statistical seriousness of some flu outbreaks for the elderly, although a good number of flu strains very specifically skip older people and are particularly impacting for young healthy people.

·
Registered
21,343 Posts
China got what it wanted, the protests in Hong Kong have been broken up out of fear of this virus. Now China can clamp down on dissent in the name of public health.

Bill and Melinda Gates have been waiting for this for years.... get rich selling millions of doses of vaccines developed to kill the virus that they created.......cause the problem & sell the solution

....or maybe the solution won't be for sale to people like you or me , maybe this is the cleansing the NWO wants, the target of 500 million for Earths population , someone took the time to engraved into granite.....
Georgia Guide Stones

·
Ambassador
3,963 Posts
Current Confirmed Deaths: 56*Updated: 80+
Countries affected (1 case or more): China, Thailand, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Singapore, Nepal, France, Australia, and the US.
General Informational Updates: - The Virus appears to be able to infect individuals before symptoms show. This is a important development. This means the incubation period (average of 10 days, 1-14) is ALSO the time you can be infecting others, vs other pathogens where you have to be showing symptoms to be infectious, such as SARS, to which the virus is 70% similar to, genetically - "The virus’ transmission ability is getting stronger and infections could continue to rise, China’s National Health Commission said.
- China has temporarily banned wildlife trade in markets, supermarkets, restaurants, and e-commerce platforms. - The previously unknown coronavirus strain is believed to have emerged late last year from illegally traded wildlife at an animal market in Wuhan."
- Reuters - Hong Kong has banned entrance to individuals from Chinese virus-stricken provinces - France is set to evacuate hundreds from Wuhan by air. - The U.S is attempting to evacuate individuals from Wuhan by air.
- The Chinese CDC has begun to try and develop a vaccine. - Multiple medical teams have been sent to the Hubei province - A fifth U.S case has been confirmed. - Videos from within China showing corpses/collapsed patients is still unsubstantiated. - 18 cities, (56 million residents) are under travel restrictions/quarantine measures in China.

Recommendations: A contagious incubation period is a disturbing development, and this continues further watching with caution. As stated by experts, this makes the virus much harder to contain. While it's not at 'panic' stage yet, the events are worrying.
It is a good thing that information is being shared, as is the massive reaction on China's end, yet there are clearly missing pieces of data, adding to the unknown. (i.e. quarantining 56 million people over a virus that has killed 56, reports of cover up, the lack of information/denial at the start, etc,) but we just can't know at this point.
Currently I'm still at a 3-4 out of 10 on the 'uh-oh' scale. The vast majority of cases are still in China, so if you are unprepared for a shelter in place scenario, you may want to start getting supplies now. How to do that: Build A Kit | Ready.gov I'm more than willing to offer recommendations on how to get started if it seems too daunting, as 3 days to 1 week is the bare minimum for any disaster to have on hand, let alone a pandemic.

·
Noel
7,878 Posts

·
Noel
7,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Network Security Perspective on Coronavirus Preparedness

·
Barney Fife - Poser
893 Posts
The market is overdue for a correction anyway. This could turn into a "tipper". I've already closed several market positions, just in case, and keeping a constant eye on the others for any unusual movement. My spidey sense is screaming "volatility".

·
Noel
7,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, our communists want to implement full socialized health care, here is an example of what is going on in the face of a probable epidemic !!

·
Retired citizen
22,535 Posts
Coronavirus, another flu / cold symptom like MERS and SARS. If you're a healthy individual and protect yourself you'll probably be OK. I wouldn't let the media scare the population into running over to the local hardware store to buy up all the painters masks they have.
I'm more careful when I shop at the Walmart Superstore. Who knows who has what rabbis shit going on when they're stocking the shelves ? Like c'mon people viruses get spread way easy so you gotta protect yourselves.
I wear mechanics gloves picking from the Walmart shelves and when I get home I wipe those items down with antiseptic wipes before they go into my fridge and cupboards. Done deal and I don't get sick, ever.

·
Registered
37,642 Posts
I dont think a cheap painters mask is gonna help against a virus.....

Unless you're worried about a little over spray....

·
Registered
21,343 Posts
Why is China suddenly so interested in the health of it's citizens?

It wasn't that many years ago when they were poising baby food and formula.

1 - 20 of 957 Posts