Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use any online service or phone app (like strava) to track your trips? I see some of my bicycle riding friends posting maps that show the routes they follow on bike trails, but wasn't sure if these apps translate well to the longer distances and faster speeds of a motorcycle. Any suggestions?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
subscribed

·
Registered
595 Posts
Same

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -Albert Einstein

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,288 Posts
Lots of apps will do that. However I use Garmin's. Used to use the dog tracking gps, that works good. I can use my 910xt run,wak,bicycle on motorcycle to pre ride new bicycle routes to track elevation changes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just posted about this in a thread under Touring about maintenance.

I use an app (it's available for both iPhone and Android) called GoodRide by Allstate.

You can add different bikes and log info specific to each of them. There is a maintenance log and a parts catalog to keep tabs on any new accessories/after-market/upgrades you make.

There are other cool things on there, too, like ways to track your rides (mileage and routes), add pictures from your trips, instant weather updates (it actually converts the temp to "bike feel" so you know what the air temp will be while moving and gives sunrise / sunset), GasBuddy for nearest gas stations, list of states and helmet laws so you know if you need to wear a lid or not (for those that choose not to wear one) and of course roadside assistance.

It's a quality app and best part is it's free.

Check it out here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/good...439396162?mt=8
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...goodride&hl=en

jnicolette

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
Check out "Greatest Road" in the app store. It shows nice rides in your local area and makes suggestions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use an app (it's available for both iPhone and Android) called GoodRide by Allstate.

There is a maintenance log and a parts catalog to keep tabs on any new accessories/after-market/upgrades you make.

There are other cool things on there, too, like ways to track your rides (mileage and routes), add pictures from your trips, instant weather updates (it actually converts the temp to "bike feel" so you know what the air temp will be while moving and gives sunrise / sunset), GasBuddy for nearest gas stations, list of states and helmet laws so you know if you need to wear a lid or not (for those that choose not to wear one) and of course roadside assistance.
Thanks for the solid info. That sounds like a great app! The only hesitation I would have with that app associated with an insurance company is that the last time I called my insurance company, State Farm, to get a quote, they asked me the mileage I planned on putting on over the course of a year. With an app like this, I would be concerned that they may be, or eventually will be, tied to rates and if the price you pay is based on a lesser amount of mileage/year and they realize you're actually exceeding that mileage, you may see an increase in your premium.

Nice app though and something I may dabble in.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I use MotionX GPS when I'm racing sailboats and they have a range of apps one being Motion X GPS Drive.
Road maps, points of interest, routes, routes with multiple stops, trip data and tons more.

It lets you send your location, track, bearing and heading via FB, other social media, or email either manually, or automatically.

I highly recommend it

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
I just posted about this in a thread under Touring about maintenance.

Thanks for the solid info. That sounds like a great app! The only hesitation I would have with that app associated with an insurance company is that the last time I called my insurance company, State Farm, to get a quote, they asked me the mileage I planned on putting on over the course of a year. With an app like this, I would be concerned that they may be, or eventually will be, tied to rates and if the price you pay is based on a lesser amount of mileage/year and they realize you're actually exceeding that mileage, you may see an increase in your premium.
Not to mention an insurance co is now seeing the speeds at which you're riding, which stops you're making and the weather you're riding in. Though this makes me wonder if insurance co's can buy access to any of these apps' data...

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Cali bob you know they have access. who's kidding who.
this info is good for them to raise there rates and quite possibly to share with other insurance co's there tied too. everything is tied to something nothing is free.
this info is being recorded and sold to high bidder.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts