Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i am considering trading in my 03 xls sporty for a new custom, but i am wondering if (1) will an hd dealer give me bb price or less,(2) if i am nutz, bike is paid for,runs good,it's got 13k+ miles. :feedback:

·
Registered
48 Posts
You would get more selling it. Probably sell for 4 or 5 grand depending on the area. New Mexico and southern Arizona could probably get closer to 6k. Trade in probably 2500 or 3k tops. They have to make a profit when they sell it. Sell outright and put the money twards it is your best bet.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Every automobile or motorcycle dealer I have ever spoken with about the subject has told me that trading for and selling used cars/bikes is the number one money maker for the dealership.

That ought to tell you all you need to know.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
The only advantage to a trade in is in the tax dept. most of the time..some times it works out..I rode my 04 for a year and half and got within $500.00 of what I gave for .worked out in my case but ...just depends.....

·
Registered
751 Posts
The only advantage to a trade in is in the tax dept.
Not true. The other advantage is not dealing with all the idiots that might want to buy it. I hate trying to sell things for just that reason.

They'll tell you they will buy it, but you never hear back from them.

Try to jew you down to what the dealer would have gave you for it.

Call to come look at it when you are busy but agree to meet, and have the would be buyer never show up.

Have someone come look at it, and spend way too much time looking it over and asking questions. Then tell you they are looking for a different style of bike.

All these things plus a few others happened to me last time I sold a bike. Just don't see that happening again.

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
In the same boat, selling my 97 Heritage for a 13 Breakout. The KBB for a 97 is a depressing figure so I am trying to sell it myself. The dealer I am getting the BO at offered 3200. Like Hunt ^ said, it is a headache. Most responses online are scammers. I also cringe when letting people take her for a test drive. I only do it if they have a MC license but still uneasy.

Wife knows I wont sell it just to get rid of it, so I might be "stuck" having 2 bikes! It is in great shape and many miles left in her so I guess I will just make some more room in the garage.

·
Retired citizen
22,057 Posts
Also the dealer makes the trade look good on paper so it's easy to get the loan. Plus you don't get diddly for the accessories on your trade in.

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Not true. The other advantage is not dealing with all the idiots that might want to buy it. I hate trying to sell things for just that reason.

They'll tell you they will buy it, but you never hear back from them.

Try to jew you down to what the dealer would have gave you for it.

Call to come look at it when you are busy but agree to meet, and have the would be buyer never show up.

Have someone come look at it, and spend way too much time looking it over and asking questions. Then tell you they are looking for a different style of bike.

All these things plus a few others happened to me last time I sold a bike. Just don't see that happening again.
Couldn't agree more. Been trying to sell my cage for about 3 weeks and if I had a dollar for every dumba** who's assured me they're serious and are GOING to buy it (even so far as setting a time to meet at the bank and then bailing on me at the last minute), I'd have enough cash for a tank of gas. And the amount of emails you get that go nowhere... it's unbelievable. It's been a HUGE headache - way worse than selling my house last year, and that was no picnic.

Yes, you're going to get bent over on a trade to some degree, but in my experience your trade-in is also your #1 leverage point when negotiating with a dealer. They have numbers to meet like every other salesman out there. Last time I traded in we went many, many rounds and after I finally walked, the sales manager (not even the guy I'd been dealing with - was his boss) ran after me across the parking lot and we made the deal I'd been asking for. He kept urging me back inside but I refused to leave the parking lot until we shook on a deal! Not letting emotions cloud your judgement is the hardest part (I tell myself this as I get ready to go in on Sat to test ride a new Fatboy!).

As my dad, the master negotiator taught me at a young age, never let them know that you really like it, even though on the inside you're dying to have it. Be sure to point out what you don't like about it, etc.

And of course service contracts, extended warranties, add-ons, accessories, etc are all highly negotiable. When they give you that "are you insane?!" look, tell them you just need another $1200 on your trade-in and the numbers will work out just fine :D

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
My problem is that I am trying to trade it in on a CVO BO and they actually list theirs at MSRP. They told me, any other bike they could work with me for a better deal and incentives like the warranty and accessories. I know a bunch of dealers are selling those above MSRP and I am lucky to find one unclaimed at MSRP.

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Then your only hope for a good deal is time. Wait until it's not the hottest thing on the showroom floor. Or bend over, do the deal and enjoy your new bike. YOLO after all...

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Yep, getting to ride away on a new bike is definitely a plus!

One more thing and then I'll shut up… Take any accessories off of your bike that you can, because as was previously stated they won't mean sh** on a trade-in. When I go in on Saturday I'll definitely be riding in on my stock seat as I can easily get $400 for my Mustang seat. Every little bit helps...

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
The only advantage to a trade in is in the tax dept. most of the time..some times it works out..I rode my 04 for a year and half and got within $500.00 of what I gave for .worked out in my case but ...just depends.....
In Missouri, you if you sell a car and buy another withing so many days (it's either 60 or 90, I don't remember), you can provide the documentation at the registration department and only pay the sales tax on the difference - just like you traded.

Of course, this only works because of how Missouri handles sales taxes. Here, the dealerships do not collect any sales tax at all. You pay them when you register the the vehicle directly to the state.

I have done private deals and well as worked with a dealer both as a buyer and seller, and I can absolutely see the pros and cons of each.

There is no doubt that it will cost you some money to trade. But, as others have stated, it may just be worth it. It is a PITA to try to sell anything to a private individual. Plus, you may end up waiting a lot longer than you want to for a sale. You could wait all summer for that matter.

There is definitely a value to riding your old one in and riding the new one out. It's quick and easy. Further, there is a bit of value in buying a bike from a dealer. MOST of the time, they have at least given the bike a fair inspection and addressed any obvious concerns. At least, the dealership I worked with around here did a 3-hole fluids when they got it and gave it a good cleaning. They make sure all the bulbs and gauges work, and they won't sell a bike without a good battery and decent tires on it.

I absolutely agree with the thought of removing any accessories before you trade. They won't give you crap for them. I removed more than $500 worth of LED lighting as well as trim rings, footboard inserts and a few other goodies from my Heritage before I got rid of it. Most of the items fit my EGC. The others I sold on ebay. Otherwise I would have just given away more than $1,000 worth of trinkets.

It's your money. Spend it as you see fit.

·
Harley Rider
10,489 Posts
It just depends on how the work up the numbers. You might see some kind of discount on the new bike along with the trade.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to everyone for the feed back, all are good valid points, i'm in no great hurry to get the new bike, maybe i'll see what the hd dealer will offer me, while i advertise mine. may the best deal happen!!:thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts