Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a quote to trade our 2004 Ultra Classic on a 2013 Ultra.
the 04 has 31,000 miles and the 13 has 18,000. We can trade for slightly less than $10,000.00. My questions are:

1. Is this a fair price considering we will have payments again etc.?

2. Other than the obvious physical differences between the model years, what are the pros and cons of the 13 vs the 04?

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Not a horrible trade. The 13 has the 103ci engine. If you get a 14 limited, you can get the new infotainment system on it. I had both a 13 and 14 and liked the 14 best as it had more features.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
The pros Are huge for the 13 compared to the 04... I went from an 06 to the 13 and never looked back... They updated the frame on the 13 with a wider back tire which makes it a better ride and longer life out of your rear tire( depending on how you ride) 6 gallon gas tank paired with that nice 6 speed transmission will allow you to sit longer between fill ups. The only con I see is gaining a payment... But I promise that it is worth it... You will like the upgraded that have been done the the 13 model... I'm sure this doesn't help much but that was my personal experience best of luck with your decision!!!

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I had a 2005 (same as the your '04) that I traded for my 2011 (same as a '13).

The two bikes ride totally differently. If you're a taller guy, you'll like the newer bike a whole lot more. The Mrs. says the rear seat is a little roomier as well.

The sixth gear is very comfortable on the highway. A lot of the newer bikes have anti-lock brakes. That is a good safety feature.

If you can somehow work a deal on a 2014 for not much more money, you may be better off. The re-did the front end for 2014, they do handle a little better, IMO. I've only ridden one a little bit. The 2014's also have some nice creature comforts including even more passenger room and other conveniences.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
All the pros of upgrading have already been stated. As for the trade-in, not sure what it should be worth vs selling on your own. But rembember that in Wisconsin, a trade in comes off the taxable portion of the vehicle price. So not only will you be taking off your loan, you'll be paying less sales tax vs. if you sold it on your own for alittle more than the trade-in value.

·
American
28,658 Posts
The pros Are huge for the 13 compared to the 04... I went from an 06 to the 13 and never looked back... They updated the frame on the 13 with a wider back tire which makes it a better ride and longer life out of your rear tire( depending on how you ride) 6 gallon gas tank paired with that nice 6 speed transmission will allow you to sit longer between fill ups. The only con I see is gaining a payment... But I promise that it is worth it... You will like the upgraded that have been done the the 13 model... I'm sure this doesn't help much but that was my personal experience best of luck with your decision!!!
^^^ Wisdom speaks.^^^ :thumbsup

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We bought the 2013 and it seems to be so much easier to handle in the turns and also at low speeds. Am I imagining that or has anyone else had similar results.

·
Registered
42,085 Posts
Congrats! :thumb

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
We bought the 2013 and it seems to be so much easier to handle in the turns and also at low speeds. Am I imagining that or has anyone else had similar results.

Congrats! You might be feeling the bigger back tire and just enjoying your new purchase... Keep the shiny side up and enjoy... Again- congrats

·
American
28,658 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. First thing I noticed on my 13 was the ride and handling as well. You will find out it gets even better the more you ride it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone.....Really glad we went that route.....Noticed one issue with it today.......I installed a run turn brake light module (same as on the 04) and noticed that the right turn signal starts out normal, then begins to flash real fast. I cycled the four ways for a minute or so and it seems to have worked, any similar experiences??

·
Wrencher
51 Posts
Not sure, but your newer model probably has led lights and may require a different unit vs. the older model especially if it was the back-off brand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts