Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience using magnets to trip traffic light sensors? I've heard about people attaching them to riding boots and/or bike frame. Before I do that I was hoping I could get some feedback about the pros and cons. Thanks.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Anyone have experience using magnets to trip traffic light sensors? I've heard about people attaching them to riding boots and/or bike frame. Before I do that I was hoping I could get some feedback about the pros and cons. Thanks.
It would have to be a rather large one to do you any good.

·
2015 Heritage
474 Posts
I always pull up far enough to allow the cage behind me to get on the trigger behind me.
Also:
Florida allows a bike to run the light if it won't change after a couple of cycles.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I always pull up far enough to allow the cage behind me to get on the trigger behind me.
Also:
Florida allows a bike to run the light if it won't change after a couple of cycles.
I just go if it's safe. Don't care what state I'm in. :laugh

·
Registered
123 Posts
Funny true Story.
Many years ago I had a Suzuki Katana. There was this one light on the way to work that would never trip. One morning I was sitting at the light at 6am and it wouldnt go green. So I proceeded. A cop just happened to be parked where he saw me and pulled me for 'running the red'. He was going to ticket me till I explained that I came to a full and complete stop. The law says nothing about 'waiting' for the light to turn green. He smiled and let me go.
Here's where its funny. I called the city and asked them to adjust the sensitivity of the sensors at that intersection, which they can do.
The guy asked me what kind of bike I rode, I told him to which he replied ' Buy a Harley, It will trip for a Harley' Then he hung up on me.
All I could do was laugh ;)

·
Banned
71 Posts
Funny true Story.
Many years ago I had a Suzuki Katana. There was this one light on the way to work that would never trip. One morning I was sitting at the light at 6am and it wouldnt go green. So I proceeded. A cop just happened to be parked where he saw me and pulled me for 'running the red'. He was going to ticket me till I explained that I came to a full and complete stop. The law says nothing about 'waiting' for the light to turn green. He smiled and let me go.
Here's where its funny. I called the city and asked them to adjust the sensitivity of the sensors at that intersection, which they can do.
The guy asked me what kind of bike I rode, I told him to which he replied ' Buy a Harley, It will trip for a Harley' Then he hung up on me.
All I could do was laugh ;)
I see that you took his advice. :thumb

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I usually pull up as far as possible, too. But there isn't always a cage to set it off when needed and PA doesn't let you stop and go. I saw a video of someone using neodymium magnets to trip the sensors but thought they would also attract any metal pieces on the road. I'd hate to wind up with my left foot stuck to somebody's bumper.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My light tripper

I went to ACE Hardware and bought a round, chrome 90lb magnet and strapped it to the bottom of my chrome Oil cover (Street Glide) and it really does work. Cost? $12

·
Registered
325 Posts
I usually pull up as far as possible, too. But there isn't always a cage to set it off when needed and PA doesn't let you stop and go. I saw a video of someone using neodymium magnets to trip the sensors but thought they would also attract any metal pieces on the road. I'd hate to wind up with my left foot stuck to somebody's bumper.
Pa doesn't let us stop and go but you can legally run out after 2 cycles. Learned that from and instructor and a cop.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
I went to ACE Hardware and bought a round, chrome 90lb magnet and strapped it to the bottom of my chrome Oil cover (Street Glide) and it really does work. Cost? $12
What is a "chrome oil cover"?:think

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
According to the DPS in Tx, your not allowed to go through a red light in a non-emergency situation. You have to find another route.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,464 Posts
I routinely run the light if they don't change down here (I have a reserve badge so they won't eff with me), but on the road, I at least let it cycle once before I go. I've only been challenged by LEO once on that and talked my way out of it with the excuse that it wouldn't cycle for the bike. Most of the trip lights I have encountered (except at I-10 and US HWY 57 which never responds) change for me on the Ultra. Back in the days of my old Hondas, they never changed.

·
Wayward Son
23,315 Posts
Damn. A 90 lb. magnet must be the size of your engine. :lol:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
90 lb. is how the pull force is rated.
Actually not a bad idea. EXAMPLE at Harbor Freight.
Just over 2.5" around.

Had a couple lights in my old neck of the woods that would not trigger. During the day was`t to bad. Usually enough traffic that the car behind me would trip it.
At night, if no cars were around I would set through a cycle then go ahead and run it.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Ive got a green light trigger HP on my bike. Seems to work good. Only 2 lights in town it wont trigger and those dont trigger half the time in the car either...

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Illinois says you can go after 120 seconds. I don't wait that long. Maybe 30 seconds depending on the location.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts