Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys & Gals,

I'm looking for a little direction on a hitch for my '99 Electra Glide. Ive done some surfin' around and found a handfull of choices off the web, now I need to hear your thoughts on your particular choice for your bike.
My previous bike was Royal Star and had a reciever style hitch, it looked great, but was noisy! It clunked & clanked ALL the time! So far I've only found one manufacturer that makes a reciever style for an FLH, and it's verticle mount that "hides" under the rear fender. Everything else has been a solid mount which is always there. I used to use my trailer on a daily basis & most likley do so again, so that is not an issue.

So if you have an opinion for me or a recomendation, please post away!
Oh, by the way, has anyone used this trailer wiring harness thats available? curious if it's worth the $50 ?

Thanks, Todd

·
Registered
1 Posts
You found what I have been looking for... a verticle mount receiver hitch. Can you tell me where? All I have seen is the Kuryikan ball type for my '08 Ultra Classic.. Glenn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Glenn, I found a couple of companies that do the reciever style hitch. One is a horizontal mount, the other is a verticle mount that hides up beneath the rear fender. The reciever style is nice, to be able to just un-pin the ball & remove, BUT they are loud. My previous setup was a reciever and it rattled all the time. loaded or not. The company that make this verticle hitch uses some type of spring pin, I'm guessing that takes care of the noise.
http://http://www.mchitch.com/Harley_Touring_Receiver_hitch_w_bumper.htm

http://http://www.hitchdoc.com/press_hrly.html

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a MC hitch on mine and bought the wiring harness as well. Well worth the money in my opinion. Its all plug and play and can be removed if you sell the bike.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I need some advice for trailer hitches for my 2012 EG.

After doing some research I am currently leaning to get a receiver hitch from Open Road Outfitters, Motorcycle Campers and Trailers, Harley Hitches, Escapade, Time Out, Mini Mate (I have not made up my mind about the vertical vs horizontal receiver). Has anyone any experience with those?

Another question about the wiring: I am not clear where the wiring between the hook-up under the saddle and the receptacle near the hitch would be routed (under the fender? outside between tour-pack and fender? where else).

Also where would the bike-side receptacle be mounted? Or do you guys just tie it to the frame somewhere and let it dangle around when not needed. Can someone post a photo that shows that in detail. That would be a great help for me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I need some advice for trailer hitches for my 2012 EG.

After doing some research I am currently leaning to get a receiver hitch from Open Road Outfitters (I have not made up my mind about the vertical vs horizontal receiver). Has anyone any experience with those?

Another question about the wiring: I am not clear where the wiring between the hook-up under the saddle and the receptacle near the hitch would be routed (under the fender? outside between tour-pack and fender? where else).

Also where would the bike-side receptacle be mounted? Or do you guys just tie it to the frame somewhere and let it dangle around when not needed. Can someone post a photo that shows that in detail. That would be a great help for me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Bushtec receiver. It is vertical and is quiet with the hitch in place. The thing I like is I can remove the hitch and the receiver is not visible. The only thing you see it the wiring plug.

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,289 Posts
I have a vertical mount. It has the regular pin plus it has a wedge bolt to prevent the rattles.

When the ball is not mounted you have to look hard to really notice the hitch frame. There are many ways to mount the electrical receptacle.

If I get a few minutes this weekend I'll try to do a couple 4 pictures.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If I get a few minutes this weekend I'll try to do a couple 4 pictures.
That would be great! Can you also look (and probably take pix) where the cable was routed from the connector (under the seat) to the plaug in the back: Under the fender? Outside?

Thanks!

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,289 Posts
Cable runs down the inside of the fender strut/brace. I've looked at several plug set ups and this works ok for me.

Sorry about the mud... Looking up at bottom of hitch you can see rattle bolt and lock nut with cable running just above but below the pin.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts