Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with trailer wiring on your bike? My dad has an electra classic and he added the turn signal/brake lamp kit to the bike then the trailer wiring. The turn signal module keeps going bad causing the blinkers to flash faster and faster. The local dealer has replace the module under warranty but it only lasts for a week or so. Any ideas?
Thanks
Abe

·
Registered
212 Posts
You're probably drawing too much wattage through the unit. You may want to splice into the wiring for the trailer before the Stop/Turn/Run module and add a second one for the trailer lights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RJ. I had thought that maybe it was too much current but had not thought about adding a second module. Good idea.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Signals not working

Hi guys, I'm Joe and new to the forums, but have been reading for a while.
While on the subject of wiring, I'm working on a buddies '01 Sporty…the turn signals will not flash automatically, he has to press/depress the switch so they flash…but I noticed his 4 ways (hazards) are working fine.
He has no shop manual for the bike and I don't see any fuses (if there is a separate fuse for signals/4-ways, which I wouldn't think so?).
I'm a bit stumped as to why the 4-ways work fine and flash automatically but the signals won't.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
Sorry if I de-railed the thread in any way, but I didn't want to start a new thread on this.
Thanks again!

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hi guys, I'm Joe and new to the forums, but have been reading for a while.
While on the subject of wiring, I'm working on a buddies '01 Sporty…the turn signals will not flash automatically, he has to press/depress the switch so they flash…but I noticed his 4 ways (hazards) are working fine.
He has no shop manual for the bike and I don't see any fuses (if there is a separate fuse for signals/4-ways, which I wouldn't think so?).
I'm a bit stumped as to why the 4-ways work fine and flash automatically but the signals won't.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
Sorry if I de-railed the thread in any way, but I didn't want to start a new thread on this.
Thanks again!
What , if anything was changed????

Not enough load will cause flasher not to work.

·
Banned
71 Posts
"What, if anything was changed????" (don't get this?). Do you mean not the correct voltage from the regulator?
Thanks.
Did you add or delete anything in the lights ???????????

Are all of the lights working ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Did you add or delete anything in the lights ???????????

Are all of the lights working ?
Yes, all the lights are working.
The thing is, that the bike had too many hands in it. It did have a Badlanders box (rear running/brake/signal lights in it which was fried by the last guy who worked on it, so I took the box out out. My buddy wasn't sure if the signal were working before I took the box out. So all I did was eliminate the Bandlanders box and isolate the harness wires so they didn't ground out. So all lights are working correctly with the exception of the L/R signal automatically flashing…but yet the hazards work fine, so I don't get it?
Thanks

·
Banned
71 Posts
Yes, all the lights are working.
The thing is, that the bike had too many hands in it. It did have a Badlanders box (rear running/brake/signal lights in it which was fried by the last guy who worked on it, so I took the box out out. My buddy wasn't sure if the signal were working before I took the box out. So all I did was eliminate the Bandlanders box and isolate the harness wires so they didn't ground out. So all lights are working correctly with the exception of the L/R signal automatically flashing…but yet the hazards work fine, so I don't get it?
Thanks
I'd be looking at the TSM/TSSM .

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'd be looking at the TSM/TSSM .
I thought about the TSM, but if that was the problem wouldn't the hazards be effected from the TSM not working?
Or does the TSM have nothing to do with the hazards, only the turn signals flashing/self canceling?
Thanks

·
Banned
71 Posts
I thought about the TSM, but if that was the problem wouldn't the hazards be effected from the TSM not working?
Or does the TSM have nothing to do with the hazards, only the turn signals flashing/self canceling?
Thanks
The TSM controls both. If the load is not enough to trip the flasher with 2 bulbs on, it could be enough to trip the flasher with 4 bulbs on .

One way to find out cheaply is to add to the load by using a resistor across the light circuit . Go to Radio Shack and get a cheap 20 ohm resistor .

·
Registered
72 Posts
The TSM controls both. If the load is not enough to trip the flasher with 2 bulbs on, it could be enough to trip the flasher with 4 bulbs on .

One way to find out cheaply is to add to the load by using a resistor across the light circuit . Go to Radio Shack and get a cheap 20 ohm resistor .
Called H-D this morning for a quote on aTSM (for worse case, $143.00). Thanks for the advice on the resistor…will do.
Keep you posted!

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
If it had a badlander box on it, it may have been converted to LED bulbs. If the bulbs are LED, they won't flash without that box because they don't draw enough current to make a conventional flasher function.

Check the bulbs.

·
Registered
39,538 Posts
If it had a badlander box on it, it may have been converted to LED bulbs. If the bulbs are LED, they won't flash without that box because they don't draw enough current to make a conventional flasher function.

Check the bulbs.
^^^ :nod

·
Banned
71 Posts

Check the bulbs.
Ergo the 20 ohm resistor. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts

Check the bulbs.
Hmm, I don't have the bike here, but I do believe they are LED's in the rear! I will check tomorrow and pick up the 20ohm resistor.
Thank you!

·
Registered
72 Posts

Check the bulbs.
Ergo the 20 ohm resistor. :)
When you say across the light circuit, do you mean from the left to right signal, or in line with the either the L/R signal?
Thanks.

·
Registered
39,538 Posts
When you say across the light circuit, do you mean from the left to right signal, or in line with the either the L/R signal?
Thanks.
Neither.

You need 2x 10Ω 10W resistors.

Put them from the right signal wire to ground, and the left signal wire to ground.

It would be easier to just replace the LED bulbs with regular bulbs.... atleast for troubleshooting.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Neither.

You need 2x 10Ω 10W resistors.

Put them from the right signal wire to ground, and the left signal wire to ground.

It would be easier to just replace the LED bulbs with regular bulbs.... atleast for troubleshooting.
Thanks for clarifying this for me, I will do both for experience/knowledge.
I appreciate it. :thumbsup

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
. . . It would be easier to just replace the LED bulbs with regular bulbs.... atleast for troubleshooting.

That's what I would do.

I hate the idea of wiring resistors into the circuit. All of current just dissipates as heat. If you ever have to use the flashers on the side of the road, you'll burn them up in 5-10 minutes.

The solid state flasher like the badlander unit is a far superior solution.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts