Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before everyone starts on me I know bikes are meant to ridden and not trailered BUT wives sometime win. Here goes a few questions help where you can

1. I need to trailer an Ultra limited and a 883 low. The low may get upgraded in a few years. What is the best reasonably priced trailer that will tow these two bikes?

2. I cannot store the trailer on the property so I will need temporary storage somewhere else/ offsite. I know there a few that advertise weekly storage BUT how do I secure the trailer once I leave it off site? My wife is worried it will be stolen from an open lot.

3. I will only need to use this trailer 3 - 5 times a year so does anyone have any other suggestions like renting vs buying?

I know a lot of you have trailers so any and all help will be appreciated.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
If you are going to have to pay to store the trailer most of the year you would likely be way better off renting one when you need it.

This comes down to a math question not a trailer question.

Cost of Owning
Trailer cost
insurance
storage
tags

Cost of Renting
Rental charge X times you use it.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Uhaul cost about 15 bucks a day... Holds my ultra and easy tow.

Not sure if they allow one ways with them.

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
I have a question if your using a uhaul how do you tie the bike down so it won't slip and fall? The U haul here wants 100 a day for a bike trailer.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Wow... It's a motorcycle trailer with place for front wheel and d rings for tie downs.

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
Ya I called them last yr. thats what the guy said and they didn't have one either.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
i have a question if your using a uhaul how do you tie the bike down so it won't slip and fall? The u haul here wants 100 a day for a bike trailer.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1436908509.964024.jpg

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
That was a bike trailer?

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
Ok I just called he quoted me 24.95 Whats up with last yr.? I paid the idy 100 to come and get it last yr because of the price.

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
Don't know what last yr. was about thanks for clearing it up. Next time I'll price it out on line.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I have a question if your using a uhaul how do you tie the bike down so it won't slip and fall? The U haul here wants 100 a day for a bike trailer.
Wow... It's a motorcycle trailer with place for front wheel and d rings for tie downs.
The main issue for you, as I see it, is that you don't have a place to store a trailer. It sounds like you will be better off renting, even though I hate to rent anything that I'm going to use more than 2-3 times a year.

I bought a 6 1/2 x 10 open flatbed ultility trailer, which handles my Road King and my son's Fat Boy easily. I know some may prefer the security and protection of an enclosed cargo trailer, but there are tradeoffs there, too. They are much more expensive to buy or rent, and heavier to tow, have more wind resistance, etc. I reasoned that even if I was riding the bike, it would be just as exposed as it is on the trailer bed. This type of trailer may be easier and cheaper for you to rent. It's very easy to securely tie a bike down on the open flatbed trailer, too.

If you rent a different type of trailer, you could buy a motorcycle chock/stand and mount it on a section of plywood to use for tieing the bike down. If might require reinforcing at the tiedown points. The problems with your setup will require you to think them through, but they certainly can be resolved if you are determined.

--

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a two rail Kendon that folds up and can be stored in a garage. It hauled my 06 Ultra and my sons 04 Softtail with no problems.

Dying Of Natural Causes Is For Wimps

:biking:

·
Registered
42,096 Posts
$15 per day at my local U-Haul as well.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I have a two rail Kendon that folds up and can be stored in a garage. It hauled my 06 Ultra and my sons 04 Softtail with no problems.

always wondered how good they work
to the OP I would maybe rent flat bed trailer if you hauling 2 bikes U-Haul for sure if one I have used the u hauls they are cheap and work good I only trailer if I have to:bikerguy:

·
Vile Deplorable
1,441 Posts
Buy the trailer. I've 24 acres and you can park it at my place.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

I also have a two rail older Kendon trailer. I towed a buddy's Electra Glide and my Deuce with it and it towed great. I picked it up used, had it bead blasted, installed new (and extra) lighting, and painted it with Rustoleum 'Safety Red' paint. It stands up in my garage. I think I have a total of just under $1000 in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good looking Deuce, duecedog! What model year is it?

To the OP - I'm not sure I understand the situation about storage, and not being able to store the trailer on site. But perhaps you'll consider an enclosed trailer. That way, you can use the trailer itself to store the bikes in. And they will be concealed inside, which is more secure than having them visible.

Enclosed trailers can be found used, and won't cost that much more than an open trailer. One of their disadvantages - you have to get one at least 10-12 foot long, because having side walls means you need to stagger the bikes fore/aft inside, so the handlebars will not interfere with each other or contact the walls.

Hope this helps,
John

1 - 20 of 25 Posts