Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions and I know that this can become a heated question: I have a need to be able to haul my 13 Limited in a protected environment. I am looking at a tandem verse single axle trailer. Can anyone give me some pointers pro and con.

·
Registered
763 Posts
You don't need a tandem to haul your bike, just added weight. 5x10 with ramp & side door will work just fine if you just want to haul one bike. Make sure it's high enough to drive in without having to duck.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
you wanted pros and cons

Pros for the tandem:
1. a safer ride
2. with two axles if you have a blow out, you still have a tire on the ground on that side
3. tandem will haul more weight safer (in case you even want to haul something other than 1 Harley)

Cons for tandem:
1. cost to replace 4 tires instead of 2

Pros for single axle:
1. lighter (with a wheel for your front jack, you can possible move it around some by hand if necessary)

Cons for the single axle:
1. single axle trailers tend to hop/bounce a lot
2. because of #1, tire damage

If price is not a real concern, I would go with a tandem every time.
If you do much hauling (of anything), tandem is the only way to go.

·
Registered
363 Posts
have friends that haul there bike, a 6x12 will haul 2 bikes very safely and you can move by hand, just by good tires every 5 years and you should never have a problem

·
Asylum Inmate
12,377 Posts
You want a tandem 14 footer.

Tandem has half the g force impact of a single. A tandem torsion axle trailer has one third the g force of a single.

You want a 14 footer because you will want the room. Especially with a limited. Sure you can haul it with a 12 but why buy shorter since there is no real cost difference.

It is a world of difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts