Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to have an oil change coming up soon and I would like to replace the dealership motor oil that's in the transmission, to actual transmission oil. I got two different stories from the same dealership. One says tranny oil is already in there, the other said engine oil is in there. Going to change it myself so I know exactly what's in it. Anyway, assuming it's motor oil, would I have to take the entire cover off, as opposed to just the derby cover, and get as much oil as I can out of there by wiping everything down, or would a standard drain and change work? If I remember correctly, the tranny oil and engine oil recommended are the same viscosity more or less, I just don't want to cause a reaction between the two and have a bigger issue. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
what bike - most likely has 3 hole harley oil- the new synthetic hd oil is used in motor tranny and primary

buy a manual if your going to do work yourself- a few hd dealers online have them at a good price-

always drain a warm motor tranny or primary -
if you dont use hd brand oil- use stuff made for vtwins

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what bike - most likely has 3 hole harley oil- the new synthetic hd oil is used in motor tranny and primary

buy a manual if your going to do work yourself- a few hd dealers online have them at a good price-

always drain a warm motor tranny or primary -
if you dont use hd brand oil- use stuff made for vtwins
Thanks. I'm planning on switching all my oils over to mobile 1 because I can get it a little cheaper than HD brand and I've heard good reviews on it. Who knows maybe I won't like it and I'll go back to good ol HD :)

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
What bike? Derby cover is for primary not tranny.
You can run mobile 1 in all 3 but I would run a tranny specific gear oil, then m1 in motor and primary.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Thanks. I'm planning on switching all my oils over to mobile 1 because I can get it a little cheaper than HD brand and I've heard good reviews on it. Who knows maybe I won't like it and I'll go back to good ol HD :)
You can get M-1 on sale at AutoZone . Look up their website for discount coupons .

I use M-1 syn Dexron ATF in primarry... syn M-1 75w140 in trans...syn M-1 20w50 in motor . :thumbsup

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Your profile shows a Sportster. The Sportster needs a wet clutch compatible oil the the combined trans/primary. Make sure you do not put regular gear oil in there. Use an oil suitable for wet clutch use. When in doubt, follow the manual. Read about which oils to use, keeping in mind, you have a Sportster, and a lot of what you read on forums is about other models which use transmission, primary and engine oils.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Tranny Fluid Change

Oops! Thought this was a Caitlyn thread.

--

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your profile shows a Sportster. The Sportster needs a wet clutch compatible oil the the combined trans/primary. Make sure you do not put regular gear oil in there. Use an oil suitable for wet clutch use. When in doubt, follow the manual. Read about which oils to use, keeping in mind, you have a Sportster, and a lot of what you read on forums is about other models which use transmission, primary and engine oils.
Gotcha. So just to reiterate, sporty's primary and transmission oil are the same? And the manual just say Formula + oil. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
honestly the stock stuff is very good-stick with that

thats why i asked what bike-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts