Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fired up my 04 electra glide the other day for the first time since i parked it for winter. I let it idle for a few minutes to get warm and shut it off. I was going over the bike when i noticed oil coming out of the transmission vent tube.It has never done this and is not overfull. Has anyone else had this problem or know what might cause this? Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it's no over filled, guess i should have stated that in my post.
It had the same amount as when i parked it for the winter. This is the first time in 10 years that it has done this.
Thanks anyway SCHMIDTY!

·
Retired citizen
23,115 Posts
That's about the only thing that will cause tranny oil to come out of the breather hose. There's no pressure inside the trans case unless the hose was plugged by one of those little hole spiders and some pressure built up until it blew the spider web out. No kidding, seen it before !
Pull the hose off and look in it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i kind of thought that since it was just sitting at an idle. I restarted it and ran for a few minutes and it did it again. The oil had a lot of air in it and that confused me knowing it was just sitting there and not ridden. I plan to look at it and see if i can figure something out. Just thought maybe all of our collective minds might come up with something first. I will post a solution when i figure it out! Thanks again

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Where is the tube? How do you know its trans fluid? If its puking, what's your trans level at now?

Trans fluid is checked on the kickstand.......not straight up and down.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it is very odd. I have been wrenching a long time and this is a first time i have seen this. So i thought i would post here to see if someone has seen this before.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Something has got to be pressurizing the trans housing. Isn't there a connecting hose on the right side that's part of the breather (crankcase venting) system?

--

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Something has got to be pressurizing the trans housing. Isn't there a connecting hose on the right side that's part of the breather (crankcase venting) system?

--
I was thinking the same thing, but the vent goes to the oil. Unless.....there's a violation of the gasket between the engine and trans allowing crankcase pressure to vent into the trans.......

The only other passages into the trans are the clutch cable and the pushrod through to the primary.

So......unless he has a popped crank seal on the left side, behind the stator (should have motor oil in primary fluid) pushing pressure and possible fluid too, into the trans, I have no other explanation for it.

I'd suggest yanking derby cover and checking primary oil level. As well......if the primary vent is blocked, will it pump pressure by venting through to the trans?

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Is there any way that the pressure could be bleeding over between the oil pan and trans fluid pan (sharing the same casting)?

Has to be something crazy for it to just start up on it's own like that
--

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Is there any way that the pressure could be bleeding over between the oil pan and trans fluid pan (sharing the same casting)?

Has to be something crazy for it to just start up on it's own like that
--
The oil pan and trans are separated chambers. I'd imagine shared pressure would share fluids.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Could there be a pressure bleed if there was a breach in the pan gasket or a compromised o-ring?

--

·
Retired citizen
23,115 Posts
On the '04 everything is connected via hoses. There's no connection between the inner primary to the trans for oil to transfer.
Look for a whitish residue in the trans fill hole, that would be coagulated condensation. Enough of that will raise the trans oil level, maybe enough to overflow out of the breather hose.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
On the '04 everything is connected via hoses. There's no connection between the inner primary to the trans for oil to transfer.
Look for a whitish residue in the trans fill hole, that would be coagulated condensation. Enough of that will raise the trans oil level, maybe enough to overflow out of the breather hose.
Thought of that too Schmidty...... He said he "ran it till it was warm" but unless you run it at lest 30 minutes to burn off trans condensation (if not longer) it can build up,

·
Retired citizen
23,115 Posts
Hmmm. I wonder if the OP was running his bike in the garage every month or so over the winter ? THAT will build internal condensation big time.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Hmmm. I wonder if the OP was running his bike in the garage every month or so over the winter ? THAT will build internal condensation big time.
agreed. the only way to tell would be to drain the trans. If water comes out, there's your issue. water molecules expand. When they do, trans becomes overfilled even more. If the water is that hot, it's push fluid out vent......

Time for a trans fluid change.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I rode it the other day and did not have a problem. It sat all winter without starting, and no water in any of the oils. Also no leaks of any kind anywhere on the bike. I'm still puzzled why it did this twice, but hey it seems to be fine now. I will be tearing it down next winter and will look for some clues then.
Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and advice!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts