Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Retired citizen
23,497 Posts
A leaking crank seal would cause the engine oil to transfer into the primary case eventually overfilling the primary. No way for the primary oil to get into the trans case though.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Agreed

On the '04 everything is connected via hoses. There's no connection between the inner primary to the trans for oil to transfer.
Look for a whitish residue in the trans fill hole, that would be coagulated condensation. Enough of that will raise the trans oil level, maybe enough to overflow out of the breather hose.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Condensation starting to boil out of the oil.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking. Condensation starting to boil out of the oil.
Water needs to be 212* to boil. Heads rarely get to 300*. With the trans now bolted to the engine, and a rear pipe passing right next to the cover, it's a distinct possibility.

·
Retired citizen
23,497 Posts
The trans internals don't get that hot. I've drained many H-D trans after the bike has been ridden for hours and the oil won't burn the hand like the engine oil does. Maybe 115* - 120* or so. About as hot as the water from the faucet on my sink.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,332 Posts
Seafoam would be safe to use in the engine and tranny. It would disperse the water and help prevent pooling of the water. According to the manufacturer about 1 oz per quart.

Now they have a product especially for the transmission. Ask to see which one is better for a motorcycle transmission. I would think the original product as the transmission one is for automatics.

You can contact them directly at Homepage - Sea Foam Sales Company

·
Registered
9 Posts
Water needs to be 212* to boil. Heads rarely get to 300*. With the trans now bolted to the engine, and a rear pipe passing right next to the cover, it's a distinct possibility.
"Boil" might have been a poor choice of words. There will be some agitation in the tranny when in neutral. I would think that that agitation could cause the oil/water mixture to try to separate releasing the water vapor out the vent. This would obviously appear oily. Just a thought, by no means does my theory bear any scientific basis. :what?

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Not to steal a thread. Does primary have a vent on Twin Cams? Had output shaft leak for quite a while then it just healed up?:think

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Not to steal a thread. Does primary have a vent on Twin Cams? Had output shaft leak for quite a while then it just healed up?:think
They stop leaking once they run out of fluid........... :D

The TC primary is not vented, per say. However, due to the direction of the inner primary seal, it can vent fluid with no damage to the seal if it gets overfilled.

Starter jackshaft seal is the same direction. The cranks seal faces into the primary, as it seals the engine, not the primary.

Venting can occur from the clutch pushrod, over to the trans. There's no seals between the two, and fluid can't transfer between the two, but air can, which means pressure can. The trans has a vent......

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
They stop leaking once they run out of fluid........... :D

The TC primary is not vented, per say. However, due to the direction of the inner primary seal, it can vent fluid with no damage to the seal if it gets overfilled.

Starter jackshaft seal is the same direction. The cranks seal faces into the primary, as it seals the engine, not the primary.

Venting can occur from the clutch pushrod, over to the trans. There's no seals between the two, and fluid can't transfer between the two, but air can, which means pressure can. The trans has a vent......
Copy that about stop leaking when empty :)

Mine slowly stopped weeping fluid. Pulled derby cover found it almost empty(after 400 miles) Close call there. Kept a closer eye on it. Took it to a dealer for repair. They would have had to take oil tank out way get to one bolt, labor hours would have been over budget. It's a HD change not sure when it started. It healed up any way no leakage appx. 6000 miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
3 of us rode from Los angeles to Show Low, Az thru Tombstone a few years back. It got cold that night so in the a.m. we started the bikes and let them idle to warm up. All 3 puked trans fluid out the vent, maybe 2-3 teaspoons. Never did before or after.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes it is very odd. I have been wrenching a long time and this is a first time i have seen this. So i thought i would post here to see if someone has seen this before.
04BAGGER: Did you ever get your "oil from the vent tube" figured out? I had the same problem this weekend. Mine was not a lot of oil and was milky so I checked the tranny dipstick and it was just a little low and milky. Still trying to figure out how the water got in there but I believe what caused the pressure build up and the release through the hose was the water oil mixture clogging the vent. I did ride in a hard driving rain since my last service so I think I will change the oil and keep watch.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,332 Posts
Milky trans fluid means water. As your bike is not water cooled, the water must have been the driving rain. Yes, by all means drain the fluid. SEAFOAM makes an additive you could add 100 miles before you change out the fluid to emulsify the water and get more/most/all of it out.

Probably want to do it a few hundred miles later to be sure all the water is out.

Sea Foam Sales Company link Call them and have them suggest. You might put the regular seafoam in first then the trany treatment. Ask.

I used to have a transmission shop in the early 80's.

Reactions: SoftailBilly

·
Registered
3 Posts
I fired up my 04 electra glide the other day for the first time since i parked it for winter. I let it idle for a few minutes to get warm and shut it off. I was going over the bike when i noticed oil coming out of the transmission vent tube.It has never done this and is not overfull. Has anyone else had this problem or know what might cause this? Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
04BAGGER: Did you ever get your "oil from the vent tube" figured out? I had the same problem this weekend. Mine was not a lot of oil and was milky so I checked the tranny dipstick and it was just a little low and milky. Still trying to figure out how the water got in there but I believe what caused the pressure build up and the release through the hose was the water oil mixture clogging the vent. I did ride in a hard driving rain since my last service so I think I will change the oil and keep watch.
I'm having the same problem with my 03 Road King did you ever figure out what was causing the problem?

·
Retired citizen
23,497 Posts
SPM, did you check your trans oil level and quality ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes just did an oil change. An no it's not over filed. All the oil is gone now. It blew out while I was riding.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts