Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Señor Member
19,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby girl is leaking trans fluid. Tech takes a peek and says I need a new gasket for my trans door (the plate behind the trans cover). Says 5ish hours labor.

He said it's been pretty common on the 103 @ 40k. I've got just under 38k I think.

Best riding weather of the season and I'm down for a week. Hope it sticks around until I get her back.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1443187974.733358.jpg

Photo edit credit: Boblo

·
On the loose
8,723 Posts
Sorry Chief , I think this weather pattern is supposed to carry on for a while yet . Wonder how hard that is to do , 5 ish hrs labor is a good part of the day , gotta pull the exhaust then it's pretty wide open I'd think .

·
Señor Member
19,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Chief , I think this weather pattern is supposed to carry on for a while yet . Wonder how hard that is to do , 5 ish hrs labor is a good part of the day , gotta pull the exhaust then it's pretty wide open I'd think .

They mentioned having to pull the primary! I can't imagine why, but I've never been into that part of the bike before.

·
American
28,662 Posts
Bummer! I'm hearing weather will be good until Thanksgiving. I sure hope there right!

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Get well soon, Jane! As ridiculous as it may sound, I just said a prayer for the guy who'll be working on her; that he'll be swift but thorough, and will find any other would-be issues while he's in there. And you don't always know the reason behind things... could be you're being spared from something by not riding this weekend. You'll have her back soon, my friend.

·
Señor Member
19,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get well soon, Jane! As ridiculous as it may sound, I just said a prayer for the guy who'll be working on her; that he'll be swift but thorough, and will find any other would-be issues while he's in there. And you don't always know the reason behind things... could be you're being spared from something by not riding this weekend. You'll have her back soon, my friend.

Thanks, brother. I can feel it.

You raise an important issue...is there anything else I SHOULD be doing while we're in there?

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Sorry to hear about Jane. If you were closer you could use Morticia and I do know you would use her real good.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Thanks, brother. I can feel it.

You raise an important issue...is there anything else I SHOULD be doing while we're in there?

Without debating the necessity of pulling the primary, I would want to make sure the compensator nut is tight. And take a look at the primary chain tensioner shoe for wear. If they are pulling the inner primary case, consider replacing the inner shaft seal (if they aren't already). That's the one KD had a recent issue with (same model year).

--

·
On the loose
8,723 Posts
Without debating the necessity of pulling the primary, I would want to make sure the compensator nut is tight. And take a look at the primary chain tensioner shoe for wear. If they are pulling the inner primary case, consider replacing the inner shaft seal (if they aren't already). That's the one KD had a recent issue with (same model year).

--
The inner shaft seal would warrant removing the primary , maybe they want to be through or know it won't be long if it's not already leaking , wouldn't think they need to remove the trans ?

All these are good points and one would hope they check the compensator nut & primary tensioner since there gona be in there. The cam chain tensioners should be good at 38K with the hyd cam plate , normally you check them around 50K vs the spring loaded ones.

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
Damn good looking lady you have there.

Reactions: Miles Tequillya

·
Señor Member
19,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Hope Jane has a speedy recovery, sucks to have great weather like this and not be able to ride.. hang in there. I think my starter is going but she'll wait for the winter sleep time for repair.

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
My baby girl is leaking trans fluid. Tech takes a peek and says I need a new gasket for my trans door (the plate behind the trans cover). Says 5ish hours labor.

He said it's been pretty common on the 103 @ 40k. I've got just under 38k I think.

Best riding weather of the season and I'm down for a week. Hope it sticks around until I get her back.

View attachment 404674

Photo edit credit: Boblo
No need to replace the gasket. Just tighten the four 3/8ths Allen bolts that secure the trap door, they have a history of coming loose and the gasket doesn't get damaged.
The bolts are the ones that also secure the exhaust bracket at the bottom of the trap door.

·
Señor Member
19,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No need to replace the gasket. Just tighten the four 3/8ths Allen bolts that secure the trap door, they have a history of coming loose and the gasket doesn't get damaged.

The bolts are the ones that also secure the exhaust bracket at the bottom of the trap door.

They offered to do that for free to get me immediately back on the road. They said it would slow the leak but would be a temporary fix. Sounds like you're saying that's all there is to it...for a permanent fix?

Reactions: peanut

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
I've tightened lots of those and never had one come back leaking. The bolts just loosen up, the gasket doesn't get trashed.
In fact I check those 4 bolts when I service customer bikes. The one behind the clutch cable is difficult but I made a special wrench to get at it.

·
Señor Member
19,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've tightened lots of those and never had one come back leaking. The bolts just loosen up, the gasket doesn't get trashed.

In fact I check those 4 bolts when I service customer bikes. The one behind the clutch cable is difficult but I made a special wrench to get at it.

You may have just sent me a ton of bread, man. Do I need to pull the exhaust to get at two of them?

·
Señor Member
19,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went to dealer. Tech dropped the job he was on and tightened me up. Ride home and cleaned the area so I know if it still leaks. Now I'm back at the dealer enjoying a cold one! Thanks for sending me back up here, SCHMIDTYS.

Reactions: AndyG

·
Señor Member
19,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
75 miles. Still bone dry. I owe you one, SCHMIDTYS.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts