Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Flat Land *******
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After draining the trans fluid, I refilled with 20 oz. 75w-140w gear oil. I'm having a hard time getting a reading on the dip stick. I don't see any. Would 4 more oz. bring it up to the full level? I don't want to over fill. The book calls for 20-24oz..

·
Banned
71 Posts
After draining the trans fluid, I refilled with 20 oz. 75w-140w gear oil. I'm having a hard time getting a reading on the dip stick. I don't see any. Would 4 more oz. bring it up to the full level? I don't want to over fill. The book calls for 20-24oz..
Is the bike standing up or laying down, because its supposed to be standing up. :thumbsup

·
Flat Land *******
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Standing upright and level with dip stick resting on the threads. I'm wondering if from barely touching dip stick to full equates to 4 oz.?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Standing upright and level with dip stick resting on the threads. I'm wondering if from barely touching dip stick to full equates to 4 oz.?
I don't know, try it and see, you can always just suck some out with the WIFES turkey baster. :thumbsup

:ducking

·
Flat Land *******
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm gonna mess with it some more tomorrow. With new clear oil on the chrome looking dip stick, it's really hard to see.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Use Redline, it's pink and always shows on my dipstick.:what?

·
Poser Member # 99
18,147 Posts
I've sandblasted the dip sticks of quite a few pieces of equip that the oil level or Hydraulic oil level was hard to see on the stick . It shows up a lot better on the stick ,

John Deere sells a red dye for hydraulic oil so you can see the level on the tractors dip stick or for Finding oil leaks .
John Deere Part number is MT3668 it a red dye in a 12ML bottle for like 5.00 bucks. They generally have to order it

·
Banned
71 Posts
For those of us who's eyes are not what they used to be . I am cheap, so I just use a #2 pencil . Rub the point over the dipstick a few times, it'll show the oil level when you reinsert it then . :thumbsup

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
24 - 26 oz. in the 5spd trans. I do 26 oz. on a service.
6spd trans gets a qt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts