Harley Davidson Forums banner

Trans oil leak into primary

20K views 50 replies 19 participants last post by  SoftailBilly 
#1 ·
Trans appears to be leaking into primary, any suggestions.

Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
16 street glide. Says so in intro

Reactions: pan1950head
#11 ·
Is the OP's photo supposed to show us something?

#16 ·
I don`t go to the new members area, that is for people who like to spend their time on the forum typing "welcome to the forum", I swear some people probably have hundreds of posts like this...

When someone has a tech question, they are expected to provide information of the bike they are working on, just like if you walk up the the parts counter, model, year etc.

Also, while I`m whining about it, model or year in a sig line does not mean that is what a guy is working on.

Whining rant over...

Reactions: Awaterway
#26 ·
I checked my 2018 Ultra Classic at 20,000 miles and there was no indication of a leak over or transfer of oils but did speak with 2 members of my HOG chapter with 2017 and 2018's and they said they were having that problem as it was draining their transmission fluid and had a factory rep drill a hole in the 2 cases to relieve pressure and did not have a problem after that.

#27 ·
My 2019 Electro Glide standard had the same problem which was discovered when I took it in for the 1,000 mile service. Apparently not uncommon and Harley has a fix. Mine would have been covered under warranty. The fix involves venting the crankcase. that's the way it was to me and also included other parts. I got a good trade at the dealership so I left it there not wanting a ride with the modification and worrying about checking the tranny every time you turned around. Hoping the new bike (same engine) escaped this flaw or i'm in a real deep hole.

#28 ·
not wanting a ride with the modification and worrying about checking the tranny every time you turned around.
If the mod cures the problem, why would you worry?

#32 ·
The trans top cover has the vent hose. Maybe the OP should verify the hose isn't plugged up. I would remove the hose to check, do not blow compressed air into the vent or the seals will pop out.

Reactions: SoftailBilly
#33 ·
I believe the OP is talking about this......

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/service/document/1240689332062248053

This is MoCo's fix, (read: Band-Aid), to stopping the transfer of tranny fluid thru the clutch pushrod from the tranny into the primary caused by a lower pressure, "vacuum", in the primary pulling the fluid into it. In March of 2017, I volunteered to vent my primary as a test to see if that was causing my transfer on my brand new 2017 RK in an effort to help the MoCo troubleshoot this issue. The West Coast HD Guru said , "No, we already tried that and it didn't work". But yet, a few months ago this is now the "Fix" per MoCo. Again......... a Band-Aid. I let them attempt 5 different "Fixes" on my 1st bike, and 2 more on the 2nd one that they replaced my 1st one with, until I gave up and went backwards onto my Rushmore SGS. Something is different in these new tranny/primary combos on the new M8's causing this phenomenon and venting the primary is only covering that issue up. We never needed a vent on the primary before. What else is wrong in there? Who knows........for now. Other issues may show up later, or maybe not. I'll stick with my TC and ride with noooooo worries thank you very much.

#41 ·
Ya see, in my mind, it's still just a BandAid, ya know what I mean? The initial problem still exists, it just doesn't cause oil to transfer anymore because of the vent. I'm happy for those that get this and don't transfer anymore though. I wish HD would have let me do that in June of '17 like I asked and I'd still be riding that Road King they couldn't fix.(X2).

#39 ·
Oh well there was message before I hit button of a prior post do you want to read it. I didn't.

#43 ·
2018 Road Glide Ultra. Im having same issue and had no idea. My bike wouldn’t start after sitting all winter on maintenance charger so took to HD because its still under warranty. That problem is kill switch but they told me I had oil transferring between primary and transmission. Asked them why no recall, had no answer. If I hadn’t had that switch issue looked at I would have had no idea about this problem and probably run transmission dry. Because I have low mileage I hadn’t checked levels. They told me its a pressure build up forcing fluid transfer and they are installing a vent. So now Im worried about possible transmission damage if it was low on oil and my warranty expires next month. Its still in shop.

#44 ·
Just give it a good ride when you get it back and listen for any abnormal noises.

With your low miles, I doubt you'd have any issues.

#45 ·
I will do that, hopefully get a call today from shop. Because of the corona virus I had to take to only HD shop open 1 1/4 hour away instead of 1/2 hour. But last night we got snow so will not be riding for a bit. One other question, in my past Harley’s I would use a different Amsoil product in primary for clutch, since oil can cross between the two will I be able to use that oil? Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.