Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 HD Ultra Classic, FLHTCUI

Engine is stock (80k miles) with the exception of S&S lifters and adjustable push rods. Slip on V&H classic/slash cuts.

Transmission is stock 5 speed.

I've got a nasty transmission leak (guessing shifter seal but not sure and not really worried which one considering I'd like to take care of all seals). Plan on getting a seal/gasket/spacer/bearing kit and doing the work sometime over the next month. Question I have, who offers the best product and best prices that'll have everything I need to tackle all seals and wear parts? I've seen JIMS several times for about $250. Is this a good/commonly used one? Are there better ones? Is there any specialty tools needed?

While I'm at it, I figured I better take care of the clutch as well. She seems to be slipping a tiny bit when shifting gears while getting on her. Figured with 80k on it, it's not that far out from needing work. Same kind of question. Who has the best rebuild kits? I've seen some Kevlar clutch kits for around $100. Any particular maker/brands suggested?

Any other pointers and suggestions you may have is welcomed. Would love to put it back together with no leaks or reasons to have to pull it apart all over again.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks and safe riding!
Chris

Attachments

·
Banned
71 Posts
2001 HD Ultra Classic, FLHTCUI

Engine is stock (80k miles) with the exception of S&S lifters and adjustable push rods. Slip on V&H classic/slash cuts.

Transmission is stock 5 speed.

I've got a nasty transmission leak (guessing shifter seal but not sure and not really worried which one considering I'd like to take care of all seals). Plan on getting a seal/gasket/spacer/bearing kit and doing the work sometime over the next month. Question I have, who offers the best product and best prices that'll have everything I need to tackle all seals and wear parts? I've seen JIMS several times for about $250. Is this a good/commonly used one? Are there better ones? Is there any specialty tools needed?

While I'm at it, I figured I better take care of the clutch as well. She seems to be slipping a tiny bit when shifting gears while getting on her. Figured with 80k on it, it's not that far out from needing work. Same kind of question. Who has the best rebuild kits? I've seen some Kevlar clutch kits for around $100. Any particular maker/brands suggested?

Any other pointers and suggestions you may have is welcomed. Would love to put it back together with no leaks or reasons to have to pull it apart all over again.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks and safe riding!
Chris
First thing to do is to acquire an MoCo Service Manual, Parts Book and the Electrical Manual . You will need a torque wrench in inch pounds and one in foot pounds .

You can order the Manuals from any Dealers, 10 working days to get them . :)

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
Yes you will need special tools and the first one I suggest is the MoCo service manual. The manual will have pics and part numbers for the special tools required.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I do have the manual buried out in the garage somewhere, just haven't had a chance to dig it out yet.

I know there's a crap ton of specialty tools and I know I'll need some of them but I imagine I can get by with what I have for some of them as well. Just looking for tricks and suggestion to go about this without spending more on tools than the parts themselves...

I've done a bunch of reading online and will pull my manual for more info by this weekend but anything added here would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,
Chris

·
Banned
71 Posts
Thanks guys. I do have the manual buried out in the garage somewhere, just haven't had a chance to dig it out yet.

I know there's a crap ton of specialty tools and I know I'll need some of them but I imagine I can get by with what I have for some of them as well. Just looking for tricks and suggestion to go about this without spending more on tools than the parts themselves...

I've done a bunch of reading online and will pull my manual for more info by this weekend but anything added here would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,
Chris
Remember : Gasket Cinch is your friend . :thumb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts