Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I changed my clutch cable on my 08 Nightster and when I put it all back together, I now get a noise when I put it in gear. Here's a link to a video so you can hear it.
When in Netural, all sounds fine ( clutch handle pulled in or not ).
When in first with the clutch handle pulled in, the noise is audible.
As the handle is released, the noise gets louder. There is minimal to no power getting to the wheels, and there is a burning smell.
Is it possible I unscrewed the adjsutment screw too much when talking the cluctch off to take the cable off?
I really can't see what it could be.

·
Señor Member
19,746 Posts
I would adjust that clutch again, and then adjust the clutch cable again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I am adjusting correctly. I have the nut on the adjusting screw, turn th screw counterclockwise until I feel resistance , then back off 1/4 turn or so. I put the other nut and spring on, then adjust the cable. Now, no matter how the clutch is adjusted, I.e. I turn tighter then point of first resistance or back it off a lot more, that noise is constant. It's only when I put it in gear does it start. Could I have loosened the adjusting screw too much?

·
Señor Member
19,746 Posts
I think I am adjusting correctly. I have the nut on the adjusting screw, turn th screw counterclockwise until I feel resistance , then back off 1/4 turn or so. I put the other nut and spring on, then adjust the cable. Now, no matter how the clutch is adjusted, I.e. I turn tighter then point of first resistance or back it off a lot more, that noise is constant. It's only when I put it in gear does it start. Could I have loosened the adjusting screw too much?

Break the jam but loose. Turn adjusting screw CLOCKWISE until resistance is felt. Then, back it out COUNTER clockwise 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Then hold it steady as you tighten jam nut (clockwise).

...if I remember correctly. Check your manual to be sure I'm right.

·
Retired citizen
24,162 Posts
The adjuster screw on a Sportster adjusts in counter clockwise.
It sounds like the adjuster is scraping the inside of the derby cover or the throwout bearing is shot. I'm thinking throwout bearing.

·
Retired citizen
24,162 Posts
Either way I would take it back apart for a close inspection before damage is done.
Might have lost one of the ramp's ball bearings when it was loosened up, that would cause the ramps to get cockeyed against the throwout bearing and make noise.

·
Señor Member
19,746 Posts
The adjuster screw on a Sportster adjusts in counter clockwise.
It sounds like the adjuster is scraping the inside of the derby cover or the throwout bearing is shot. I'm thinking throwout bearing.

Thank you for the correction, Schmidty. Certain didn't want to lead him astray.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, It wasn't anything to do with the adjustment I was doing. I took it to the dealer and they said there was a groove that was worn into the clutch plate. That eventually cuased two plates to bind. They can't say what caused it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts