Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello first post to this board. I am a motorcycle mechanic with experience mostly on jap bikes. Well got to fix the tranny in a 92 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FL-whats the letters for this model?).
Most of the gears in the tranny are either damaged or worn, with over a 100,000 M on the bike. I found the cheapest complete tranny guts that I could find was a Ultima 6 speed builders kit. To go in the stock case, from Jireh Cycle for 500 bucks. Call them up and they tell me they are sold out. But they have a complete softail tranny for just 560.

So the question is: Am I gonna have any problems gutting a new Ultima trans to put the guts in the stock FL trans case?

Also do these transmissions have problems with durability etc. for a stock (jetted and pipe) 80 inch evo. What kind of reputaion do they have?

Thanks Thure in Rocky Point

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
What's the hourly Labor Rate in Mexico for a motorcycle mechanic? :D

Please introduce yourself in the "New to the Community" section and hang out a bit, Thure.

As for your Q:

You have a 1992 FLHTCU

If you're using Ultima's #98-901 Trans Builders Kit, it'll fit.

For $560, that's the price of a Builders Kit, Not a whole trans. The complete trans runs in the $700-750 range, from Ultima...... :confused: Unless they have one that was returned or.......(???)

Trans: http://www.choppersurplus.com/np/transmissions/ultima/ultima6.html

Builders Kit:

http://www.debrix.com/items/item.aspx?itemid=1742689

A Softail has a different case, on the outside, but the guts are the same, in the earlier years, 1990-1997.

You'll need a special (almost 8" deep) socket to get the trans front drive pulley off, and an Inner Bearing Race Puller/Installer as well. You'll also need a Primary Gasket/Seal kit, which runs about $65 from Jims, which is good stuff.

Clutch retaining nut is reversed thread.

You'll need a manual for this job, 1990-newer, as there are too many torque values, and tips that can't be skipped, or you'll have leaks, cracks and all kinds of headache in the future with the primary side.

Ultima has a good reputation, other then a very small clutch adjustment window for grabbing neutral at a complete stop. If you're rolling it'll go into neutral fine, but sitting still it may not. A really good adjustment is all you need to do to fix this. They're basically good trannies and with few issues, and 1/4th the cost of a Baker, yet the gears are made in the same Korean plant.......Go figure.

Good Luck. I've done 2, (one with a friend on his bike, and one by myself) and they're not hard, with the right tools.

You owe me a Corona and a Taco. :D

Installation Instructions:

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/98-901SixSpdKit.pdf

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave
Thanks for the quick reply. Jireh Cycles has it for 559.95 and free shipping, for the complete trans.
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000135a~Z5Z5Z5DCPDZ~P559.95~~~~S2KV0W36XB18917623735a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000123a
Now according to midwest: 98-901 Ultima 6 Speed Builders Kit 90-97 Models
98-902 Ultima 6 Speed Builders Kit All 98-99 Models
and 99/00 FXD and FLHT
The 98-901 is the one for me and the 98-902 is for the later models.
So if I do get the complete trans and take off the case!!! is it equivalent to the 98-901 or the 98-902 and how much does it matter?
As for the inner bearing race puller, well lets just say it will need a new inner race. And putting it on will be with a suitable piece of tubing and pushing it on with the nut on the shaft.
Thanks again for your help.
Thure

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave
Its only the Mexicans in the US that drink Corona, down here they all drink Bud Light. Go figure, myself I prefer XX beer. As for the labor rate I'm charging 250 bucks to do this tranny. I guess next step is gonna be to get an account with Midwest.
Thure

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
You're right about the price. Nobody else I checked has a plain, cast case. The extra $$$ was for the polished cases. Good deal.

I found two sites that listed the 98-901 as the one you need, and another said the 98-902.....

I'd call Ultima yourself and get the straight skinny from them about the guts fitting from WHAT model trans you're buying is the equivelent to WHAT Builders Kit part number.

You can take the old inner bearing race off by welding a rod to it, clamp on Vice Grips and tapping it off, or carefully cutting it. Agreed, PVC pipe of the correct size can drive a new inner race.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
when I replace races that wount come out I usually weld a bead around the race and it fall out.You can probly freeze the new one and itll go right in.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
when I replace races that wount come out I usually weld a bead around the race and it fall out.You can probly freeze the new one and itll go right in.
It's not a Timkin type bearing race, Dean. It's a flat race, on the output shaft for the trans, that the roller bearing in the inner primary rolls on, between the clutch and the trans. The roller bearing sits in the inner primary and the race sits on the trans output shaft, outside of the front sprocket, before the clutch basket.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
you guys and your new stuff...lol

HAHAHAHAHAHA......that's been that way since the 60's......:lol8 Granted, that IS NEW compared to your OLD stuff............

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
I know to funny I cant get over the simplicity of my old school stuff.
I always think like Im working on the old stuff then the new stuff kicks back in and I have a Beer and Im more better...lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts