Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Hertage Softail. Trying to R & R front Sproket ( transmissions)on belt drive. My understanding is the locking nut on this Sproket is loosened by turning it clockwise while holding Sproket locked. Looking for pointers here..it won't come off with a 1/2 impact, breaker bar, and light heat. I've heard this can be tough....looking for tips. This is the original Sproket..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok...yes turning the right way.... I'll keep at it, just never encountered something this stubborn....
Thanks

·
Wayward Son
23,320 Posts
Ok...yes turning the right way.... I'll keep at it, just never encountered something this stubborn....[/SIZE]
Thanks
They sure can be.
Going to belt primary on my bike. Not looking forward to the tear down.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,488 Posts
Ok...yes turning the right way.... I'll keep at it, just never encountered something this stubborn....
Thanks
Better that it is stubborn than to have it start to back out as you run down the highway.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,488 Posts
Had my primary open a few months ago. Found the nut hand tight...removed with one hand. Definitely glad I found it when I did.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Sprocket nut is left hand thread (righty tighty, lefty loosey), Clutch nut is right hand. Look at your service manuals. It shows the sprocket holding tool hitting against the UNDER side of swingarm to remove, hitting on top to tighten. If I have completely lost my senses, correct me.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Sprocket nut is left hand thread (lefty tighty, righty loosey), Clutch nut is right hand. Look at your service manuals. It shows the sprocket holding tool hitting against the UNDER side of swingarm to remove, hitting on top to tighten. If I have completely lost my senses, correct me.
I could be off on this but I think I fixed it.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Sorry for the wrong info. in post #9. I read that the op's bike was a 2014, not a 2004, which DOES make a difference. Six speed pulley's have normal RIGHT hand thread, five speeds were LEFT.

P.S. Webco, good video, but the op's changing the drive pulley, not the comp., do I pass the test?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Sorry for the wrong info. in post #9. I read that the op's bike was a 2014, not a 2004, which DOES make a difference. Six speed pulley's have normal RIGHT hand thread, five speeds were LEFT.

P.S. Webco, good video, but the op's changing the drive pulley, not the comp., do I pass the test?
Best I could find to answer the left or right thread question. And it does talk about pulling the inner primary, which is what you need to do in order to change the finial drive sprocket .

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Transmission sprocket nut on 5 speed is left hand thread.

Clutch hub retaining nut is left hand thread.

Compensator is standard thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2004 Hertage Softail. Trying to R & R front Sproket ( transmissions)on belt drive. My understanding is the locking nut on this Sproket is loosened by turning it clockwise while holding Sproket locked. Looking for pointers here..it won't come off with a 1/2 impact, breaker bar, and light heat. I've heard this can be tough....looking for tips. This is the original Sproket..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just changed from 29 to 28 on my 2006 1200r sportster VERY hard to remove nut used a 3 foot pipe on a 3/4 inch breaker bar JUst moved a little at a time It will come off

1 - 16 of 16 Posts