1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Just Ride
4,299 Posts
Aftermarket yes.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

· Registered
627 Posts
Curious why do you want to
Agreed as to wondering why. I believe they're only really useful for extended high speed cruising (of which the Fat Boy is capable). I recommended the Baker DD6 because it's the 6-speed I have always thought I would like to have but in reality, the 5-speed MoCo tranny in my 04 FXDLI really gives me all I want & need. When I lived in Virginia, I took long, multi-day & multi-state trips on Harley sticking to secondary roads, which were beautiful, scenic, interesting, & technically challenging. Now that I have relocated to South Dakota, I generally don't do long distance touring as secondary roads & Interstates are straight & fine for short runs, but boring to me on long runs. I can cruise comfortably @ 80 mph while running on the highway on short runs of no more than 70 or so miles (Harley can run all day like this comfortably - it's just that I don't like to do this). @ 80, I'm turning appx 3300/3400 rpm & the TC 88 seems to like running in that range while maintaining good heat ranges w/the Jagg oil cooler.

· weird member
2022 El Diablo, 1997 FXSTC
4,571 Posts
I have a Baker DD6 in my '97 Evo. That said, I rarely use 6th gear (and my Evo is worked and pushes a peak 85-90 ft-lbs of torque at 3700 RPM and doesn't do less than 80 ft-lbs anywhere in the usable range). The only time I use 6th gear is on flat, level ground or downhill at 80+ mph (highway cruising), but only if it's going to be miles and miles of flat and level ground with no stops.

There's other aftermarket 6 speed transmissions that cost less than a Baker, but I couldn't say which ones are worth it. Ultimata is a 50/50 chance of being junk, and I haven't heard much good about RevTech, just some luck out and some don't with that one.

The Baker DD6 requires changing the compensator sprocket and getting a different pitch chain, needs stock size (tooth count) clutch in order to effectively be overdriven in 6th. It's the most efficient 6-speed as 6th gear is a 1:1 direct drive gear within the transmission but becomes effectively a .86:1 overdrive by overdriving the primary with a larger comp sprocket. The OD6 doesn't require changing the primary ratio, but isn't as fuel efficient.

They make complete transmissions where you can just swap the whole thing, or you can get a builder's kit for less and just swap the internals and keep your stock transmission case.

· Registered
627 Posts
I have a Baker DD6 in my '97 Evo. That said, I rarely use 6th gear (and my Evo is worked and pushes a peak 85-90 ft-lbs of torque at 3700 RPM and doesn't do less than 80 ft-lbs anywhere in the usable range). The only time I use 6th gear is on flat, level ground or downhill at 80+ mph (highway cruising), but only if it's going to be miles and miles of flat and level ground with no stops.

There's other aftermarket 6 speed transmissions that cost less than a Baker, but I couldn't say which ones are worth it. Ultimata is a 50/50 chance of being junk, and I haven't heard much good about RevTech, just some luck out and some don't with that one.

The Baker DD6 requires changing the compensator sprocket and getting a different pitch chain, needs stock size (tooth count) clutch in order to effectively be overdriven in 6th. It's the most efficient 6-speed as 6th gear is a 1:1 direct drive gear within the transmission but becomes effectively a .86:1 overdrive by overdriving the primary with a larger comp sprocket. The OD6 doesn't require changing the primary ratio, but isn't as fuel efficient.

They make complete transmissions where you can just swap the whole thing, or you can get a builder's kit for less and just swap the internals and keep your stock transmission case.
That's great information, Kyle, & thanks. For me, another big factor in considering whether to go 6-speed is the kind of bike one rides & how one wants to configure their bike. On most cruisers, extended cruising @ speeds of 80 mph + is pretty uncomfortable w/o a fairing or a windscreen. I don't have either on my Low Rider & I don't want to have either. That leaves me w/my full-face helmet. That does a fine job on my face, eyes, & ears but having the torso buffeted by winds @ speed for a long duration is tiresome & no fun @ all. So I can see upping to a 6-speed for a touring model & on a cruiser, I think most will require adding fairings or screens to make upping to a 6-speed a worthy effort.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts