Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a friend of mine just put a big US map up on his wall (with a cork backing) and pinned up places he has been in the last 30 years on his bike. Thinking about doing the same thing in my man cave, but wanted to make it not only a cool "Memory Lane" thing... But look pretty slick as well. I snagged a 30 x 50 US map yesterday and plan on starting on it sometime this week. I do woodwork as well so I was going to try some slick stuff with the frame for it..

Just wondered if anyone else done anything like this and any suggestions of what you did (or that you would think was cool to incorporate...)

Thanks for any advice...

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
I have but it has been for military travel, not highway miles as a rider. I found it to be fun to also tack up my favorite picture of the trip to the place as well.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,009 Posts
I did it years ago. Now I don't have the wall space for it. It is sort of neat to have it, and it does produce a lot of good conversations.

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
I have but it has been for military travel, not highway miles as a rider. I found it to be fun to also tack up my favorite picture of the trip to the place as well.
I did the same thing. Also had one for all the places that I have been diving at.

If your map is big enough, highlight the routes you took and as has been mentioned; pin a couple of photo's of each trip to it. That would be badazz!

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
I did it years ago. Now I don't have the wall space for it. It is sort of neat to have it, and it does produce a lot of good conversations.
That map in your signature line doesn't appear too big. :what?

Is that states ridden in?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your map is big enough, highlight the routes you took and as has been mentioned; pin a couple of photo's of each trip to it. That would be badazz!
Now that’s a cool idea! I have one wall in my man cave that has a huge stainless steel Harley Bar and Shield Eagle logo with photo's of "Memorable" rides all around it (game plan is to fill the whole wall). Never thought about dropping some pics in the mix of the map... Thanks for the idea...

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,009 Posts
That map in your signature line doesn't appear too big. :what?

Is that states ridden in?
Yes. Been on my Harley(s) in each of the colored in states. Was hoping to add a few to it this summer, but plans do change in a hurry. Will probably add Kentucky and Ohio (and maybe a few others)in August.

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
I have the World on my bedroom wall so when I'm watching TV or a movie I can easily look at where things are at from the TV. I have a US map in the den. I never read a map I didn't like.
I guess, you could back it with some thin ass paneling and frame it, mine are tacked on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Saw a cool thing on a cruse ship once -- a guy was selling framed world maps which had a light source behind the map. He had little plastic pins that you stuck through holes punched in the map, so that they were backlit and glowing. It looked pretty neat, and I always though about making one.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Saw a cool thing on a cruse ship once -- a guy was selling framed world maps which had a light source behind the map. He had little plastic pins that you stuck through holes punched in the map, so that they were backlit and glowing. It looked pretty neat, and I always though about making one.
Now that is pretty slick idea! All I was thinking about was using pins. Thought it would be cool to have one color (most likely black for me... Im like Henry Ford when it comes to my bike...) for trips I made solo, and add a color for my bride for trips we rode 2 up...

Also had a slick idea for the frame... Of course it would be over the top. Thought about curly maple frame with inlaid walnut flames, bar & shield, and what ever else crazy thing I could do to make the frame take me hours on end to do...lol

May be a good thing... Just about gave up the woodwork since I bought my FXDF... Finally a good excuse to get back out there..... Some....lol

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have a 4'x5' map on the wall in the basement (man cave) that I've marked with all the places I've been in my life. Sometimes I just stand there and remember the adventures while looking at each mark.

I like the idea of a back lit map. May have to start a new project.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, finally got off my ass and jumped on this project. Only took me around 3 hours and used left over stuff I had laying around in the wood shop. Total cost was right around $20... All I need to do is go snag me some push pins to mark the places I been. Can't bitch to much...

Figured I would pass the idea along....

Attachments

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,009 Posts
Looks good. Now, just a suggestion...different colored pins for bike, car, air, etc. so you can sort of keep them separated.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, Kd... Think I am just going to kick this for rides only... Pretty much... If I stopped there... It gets a pin.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
You could do like the cop shows "crime boards" and use different colored thread (no one has yarn anymore), between pins to denote each trip. The home pin gets pretty busy!

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts