Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run Dunlop E3s on my 06 RK. I just changed the rear and bought a front, so I would have it when I need it. The frt. tire comes with 6/32' tread depth. Mine now has 3/32' with 2/32' being the caution zone. I've had several emergency stops in the last few days and done some low speed work, it held fine. How far do y'all push your tires?

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,469 Posts
I've unintentionally gone to where the threads are showing, but 1/16" is getting close to time for a change. Whereas I might run them that thin for short runs near home, I'd definitely change to new ones before hitting the highway for any significant distance.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I can feel it as my tires wear. they seem to react more to lines in the roads and imperfections in pavement in a more exaggerated way the more they wear. After 5K miles they feel COMPLETELY different than new. 2/32 is my minimum.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some tires have "wear bars" in the tread but these don't. The first time it acts hinky, I'll change it. Otherwise, I'm thinking another thousand or two.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
My stock Dunlops on my '13 RGC, rear had a slow leak, 3/32 left on rear at 14,2xx miles. Would have ridden a few thousand more but with a leak I had my indy replace it with a Dunlop AE. Front still looks real good, no cupping, even wear, didn't measure the tread but it ain't even close yet.

Oh, and the leak--couldn't find anything wrong with the tire but on one spot on one side of the rear wheel there was some corrosion--indy buffed it off, no longer losing air.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Some tires have "wear bars" in the tread but these don't. The first time it acts hinky, I'll change it.

E3's have wear bars (I just looked at mine on front). They are about 1" from the end of every 3rd long sipe (groove). Hard to see, just a slight bump. I also change tires before they are goner's, just makes me feel better. I have an American Elite on the rear, almost the same pattern as the E3, but is wearing better (dual compound).

·
Registered
556 Posts
I usually change at the 1mm mark. Right now I have just over 19K miles on this set on my 1200 Custom and the tread depth measures 2.2 front and 3.0 rear measured around the tire. My tires are the Dunlop Scorchers. Those tires have a harder compound construction and I could tell when the bike was new because it was easy to spin the tires coming out of a turn or corner.

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
This image is my current front tire, a Michelin Commander II with approximately 18K miles.

While there is a good deal of strong tread, some in the very center is now under 1/16" from what I can see (for the life of me I cannot at this time find a tread wear indicators.)

I have made several hard stops recently without incident, but I can feel the front end beginning to push to the outside of the curve when entering a sharp turn at slow (parking lot) speeds. Given that current conditions are getting wetter and colder with a great deal of loose leaves on the pavement, I am rapidly losing confidence in my current set of tires and plan on changing them out very soon.

Attachments

·
Banned
71 Posts
Some tires have "wear bars" in the tread but these don't. The first time it acts hinky, I'll change it. Otherwise, I'm thinking another thousand or two.
Cold wet rainy roads coming up soon, better to be safe than sorry, I'd change it out now. You don't want to be "Fred Flintstone'n" it to the stop sign . :)

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
This image is my current front tire, a Michelin Commander II with approximately 18K miles.

While there is a good deal of strong tread, some in the very center is now under 1/16" from what I can see (for the life of me I cannot at this time find a tread wear indicators.)

I have made several hard stops recently without incident, but I can feel the front end beginning to push to the outside of the curve when entering a sharp turn at slow (parking lot) speeds. Given that current conditions are getting wetter and colder with a great deal of loose leaves on the pavement, I am rapidly losing confidence in my current set of tires and plan on changing them out very soon.
Change it now. You won't regret it. New tires restore the handling personality of the bike. It's worth doing. And you already have the tire. Remember, you ride this thing for pleasure and there's no such thing as "too safe".

--

·
Registered
754 Posts
Mine still shows all tread but wear bars are showing. I get some fairly extreme wobble from irregularities in the road. Time for new!

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
18,000 you got your monies worth I'd change it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Check the date code on any new tires you get. It's not uncommon to find tires that are already two or more years old on the shelf of some smaller dealers. Date of manufacturer is usually a four digit number. First two digits are the week and second two are the year manufactured. Tires are normally good for five to six years depending on how much they are used (the more the better) and how much UV rays from the sun they get (the less the better).

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Change it now. You won't regret it. New tires restore the handling personality of the bike. It's worth doing. And you already have the tire. Remember, you ride this thing for pleasure and there's no such thing as "too safe".

--
Yeah, it is sweet when you put on a new set. I have to have an abs recall done shortly. I think I'll have them put it on while it's in the shop. Save me from having to do it later. You're absolutely right about can't be to safe. I'm real big on tires. I don't care if you drive a Ferrari or an Ultra. They ain't no better than the tires they roll on. That's your only connection to the road, on a motorcycle your contact patch is only a couple of inches.

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
To hijack Old Coots thread a bit...
Stock Dunlops on my bike. This is 24,000 miles on the tire. Handling fine still with hardly any noticeable difference. I'm a cheap ass, do I change it or do a couple thousand more.

View attachment 331746

View attachment 331754

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
My pics wouldn't load?????

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1427413473.557790.jpg

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1427413485.425664.jpg

1 - 20 of 45 Posts