Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I'm UK based and 90% sure I'll be signing my life away on a 2020 Tri Glide Ultra. The other 10% is a Goldwing conversion.

Getting a test ride in the UK isn't easy as dealers don't have demo bike bikes so was wondering how guys where getting on with them in the UK.
I'm thinking it will be at it's best cruising around Snowdonia etc but what's it like on 300 miles of motorway to Eurotunnel/Ferries? What's a realistic cruising speed and at what point does self preservation kick in?
Official MPG is 42 giving a 200 mile range is that realistic in the UK?
I assume its not Euro 4 compliant
Are there any must have extra's other than heated grips (I'm not a fair weather only rider).

Thanks in advance.

BT

·
Road Junkie
1,932 Posts
welcome to the forum.

I’m sure English Triker will stop-in here in a bit. He will be a wealth of information to you on this quest. If he doesn’t respond or see your thread, reach out to him via a private message.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Traded my 2018 Ultra Limited in July for 2020 Tri Glide. For a year prior, I read alot on trikes.
Talked to anybody I could find that was on a trike. Did alot of soul searching about getting off two wheels.
Body parts helped make up my mind..Knees, hips, etc..
There is a learning curve going to the trike. Forget everything about riding a motorcycle. Start over with technique,
red lights, stop signs, leaning and angle of attack for curves. Will also take a bit to get use to steering. I still look dumb trying to lean
it don't help. Don't forget the thing is wide. Watch out for the rear and don't hit stuff. Same thing for position in the
riding lane. Freaked myself out first couple days riding , cause I kept hitting the reflector things in middle of road.
Long trips are not as tiresome to me as on the Limited. Might be more relaxed not worrying about dropping the thing.
Trike is bigger so , I think, cars see me better.
Cruising speed for me is no different than on two wheels. Gearing is different. Feels like I need to be in higher gear than
what I was use to on the Limited. About 80 mph there is a odd feel but above that up to 100 mph is very stable.
The curves with speed take some getting use to. Does feel like rear wheel might get lite but don't think I have ever
lifted one completely off pavement. To much speed in curves will make the butt pucker. Rain and wet roads don't seem to
be that much a problem. The thing sticks pretty good, with speed in consideration of course.
Sorry to be long winded. Just some thoughts from a new triker...68 year old been riding since I was 14.. would not go
back to two wheels..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input Wall banger. Think I'm going through the same process as you. After 42 years on 2 wheels by body is telling me to go trike and I'm looking everywhere for info that may help. Bikes and trikes are a lot more expensive over here so its a huge outlay for something that may not work out.
Unfortunately no one I know has ridden a trike let alone own one so all I get is nonsense about them tipping over etc.
Cruising at 85 on 3 lane highways would suit me so what you've said is a big help.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Hello fellow British Triker
I think Wall Banger said it all really in regards to moving over from two wheels to three , I bought my Tri glide new in 2018 having never sat on a trike let alone ridden one .
Have had 3 solo Harley's and honestly had no reason to switch over to a trike except as you know Harley's are ten a penny in UK but a factory built trike is rare and gets noticed everywhere you go , not for me one of those converted trikes from a solo bike they look awful it was Tri Glide or nothing
Bought mine from Chesterfield HD when I went to pick it up the salesman showed me all the controls and so forth , got on it and started off but I couldn't turn the bike ,,, cutting the story short he spent 1/2 hour with me on a service road where I got used to it .
Set off home with my wife on the back Friday afternoon heading south on the M1 baptism of fire that was & white knuckle ride for about 20 miles then the joy set in.

I was smiling like the Cheshire cat that got the cream , Your roads around Snowdonia will be well suited to the trike , comfort levels top notch , Mileage per gallon I dont take notice , but I dont let it get below 1/2 tank anyway .
I cruise at 70 that suites me just fine I am never in such a rush to get anywhere but higher the speed faster the fuel goes down .
Extras I added were Vance Hines slip on so much better sound than the factory pipes , Rear chrome bumper and chrome rack on the tour pac , all those fitted by Harley .
I also bought the adjustable driver back rest very expensive for what it is but having a bad back on long journeys you will feel the comfort level I fitted that myself .
Don't listen to people saying they will tip over that is bollocks if it did you would be doing something stupid and shouldn't be riding anyway
Dont knock it until you try it I wont go back to two wheels again loads of pros only down side is you do get stuck in traffic , your rear end is wide as a car and wont squeeze past a row of traffic .
Well I hope this helps in your decision on getting a Tri Glide you wont regret it

Great that it is fitted with a reverse option cant say gear because it isn't it works of the starter motor ,the sound of it when in use is naff but it does the job

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input Mike its much appreciated.

Not sure I agree with you on converted trikes. Yes the 2 wheels bolted on the back of regular bikes and Boom's etc are bloody awful but a CSC converted 2020 Goldwing looks good to me. But if we all liked the same thing we'd all be riding the same bike

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Thanks for the input Mike its much appreciated.

Not sure I agree with you on converted trikes. Yes the 2 wheels bolted on the back of regular bikes and Boom's etc are bloody awful but a CSC converted 2020 Goldwing looks good to me. But if we all liked the same thing we'd all be riding the same bike
Price wise is there much difference in price between A tri Glide and 2020 Gold wing trike ? and what do you get extra on the Honda that you dont get on a Tri glide

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The conversion works out at around £18K including all taxes and labour. A used 2018 Goldwing Tour is over £20K and a new one is £30K so it is more towards the CVO cost wise.
I go to Europe for 4-6 weeks at a time so a big attraction for me is the auxiliary 13.6L fuel tank giving a total off 35L and a range of over 300mls and the huge 8.25 cu ft trunk/boot.
The wing does have the trick front end which does work quite well and the rear suspension can be adjusted via controls on the bars as can the engine mapping all are retained on the trike.
Goldwing has heated seat and grips as standard. The only feature lost when converted is the rear TPMS.
The latest software update which I got yesterday FOC adds Android Auto.
There may be other differences but I'll not know until I've ridden a Tri Glide as the info on the HD website is very limited. There's no mention of the width. What is it??
Downside of the conversion is that its huge at 5ft wide and nearly 10ft long and as I found out yesterday the Honda dealer wont go near it not even for routine service work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Brit Triker,
I took a break from motorcycling for about twenty years. My riding of the past was all Japanese motorcycles (many sizes and brands). The 2017 Tri-Glide is my first Harley. I have logged ~6,000 miles so far. As another subscriber said, Harley today is the only factory trike. It does not drive like a two wheeler but, that's OK you still get 90-95% of the experience (ride, view, weather, etc..). I bought mine used (1500 miles) w/ warranty and saved a bundle. It is the most expensive motorcycle I have owned and the most expensive to maintain. So far though so good, would not trade it for a convertible sports car.
Sincerely,
Leg_one

·
Registered
75 Posts
I know it's just personal preference, but the "add on" "bolt on" conversion kits on Goldwings
just don't look right. To big, to much and just don't look like a "motorcycle". I don't hate
Honda. Actually have a 2002 1800 Goldwing. The thing is fast as all get out and handles
better than ya need. I need my butt kicked with some motivation and get it put back together.
Just can't get off the trike long enough to wrench some..
Not sure why, but the tri glide just keeps the "motorcycle" appearance for me.
If you don't look in the back, the tri glide looks like a two wheeler. LOL !!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick thank you for the replies and to say that the deed has been done.
Ordered a Tri Glide Ultra should be on the road next week.
Hoping there will be enough fine days to reach the 1000mile service done over the winter.
Cold and wet doesn't bother me (motorcycle clothing has improved a lot over the years) but the salt on the roads isn't very bike friendly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dealers I spoke to said if they took in a used one I could have test ride but I'd have to wait until that happened so just jumped in with both feet and ordered one.

If it works out great if not I've lost a few £1k's but I think I'd look back and regret not giving it a go more than losing a few quid.

quid=buck in american

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don't think you will regret anything on purchase....do give it a few thousand miles before deciding.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey -- Brit Triker -----You ever get that 3 wheel machine???? Curious minds want to know!!! Well, maybe just me...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the trike and what an experience the ride home was.
No matter how much research you do on riding a trike nothing prepares you for having to override what you have been doing on a bike without thinking for decades.
Picked up the trike from a dealer in a busy part of a town I don't know that well so lots of traffic and pedestrians to deal with so the first few miles where not fun as an instinctive response to a hazard resulted in heading towards it.
Got a few more miles under my belt now and riding the trike is a lot more natural and fun so I have not made an expensive mistake and you can have fun after two wheels you just have to survive the first few miles without hitting something.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts