Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Riding the trike is a lot more natural now so upping the pace has highlighted some "features" of the trike.
First is how much effort is required to turn the trike in the twisties when upping the pace but it is something you get used to.
Could be a problem for anyone who switches to trikes due to upper body problems unless you are a slow rider.

The other feature which is more serious is the ride quality on poorly surfaced roads.
I understand that all 3 wheels use different parts of the road so the suspension will have to work harder than on a bike and the ride quality will never be up there with a 2 wheeled cruiser but to have to drop 20-30mph of your speed to avoid being bounced around like a rag doll and be left behind by the cars in front is ridiculous
I'm under 200lbs so the pre-load settings are redundant.

Anyone else think the same and come up with a solution or do we all have to slow done when the roads get bumpy?

·
Registered
2020 Tri Glide
240 Posts
Did take a bit of practice getting comfortable in the tight curves. Had to learn angle of attack, very different
than 2 wheel. I tried shifting my weight and that felt more stable. at 70/80 MPH road speed, doesn't take
much pressure to change position in roadway. I still have to pay attention to pressure on bars or I change lanes
without meaning to. Slow speed cornering is great. Biggest thing I notice there is not using to much
throttle.
Rough roads are a bitch. Leaving my house one direction sucks. Like you said, have to slow down or its
pretty unnerving. But, I have to do that in my pick-up truck, so I don't think much of it. When out on a pleasure
ride I am more careful of the route I plan. Have learned the roads I ain't gonna ride unless just have no other choice.

Overall, I still feel there are more "I like this" than there are "I hate this" about going to 3 wheels. With out a doubt
much more enjoyably with the woman on back. Now I don't worry about her not paying attention coming to a stop.
She use to freak me out leaning one way when I didn't expect her to do that. Actually the ride is more comfortable
when she is on with me. The suspension seems better set for two. I'm also at 200 lbs and not found a setting
that seams right for just me. Have not tried any of the suggestions for part changes, still just stock.
Stay safe...

·
Registered
13 Posts
The conversion works out at around £18K including all taxes and labour. A used 2018 Goldwing Tour is over £20K and a new one is £30K so it is more towards the CVO cost wise.
I go to Europe for 4-6 weeks at a time so a big attraction for me is the auxiliary 13.6L fuel tank giving a total off 35L and a range of over 300mls and the huge 8.25 cu ft trunk/boot.
The wing does have the trick front end which does work quite well and the rear suspension can be adjusted via controls on the bars as can the engine mapping all are retained on the trike.
Goldwing has heated seat and grips as standard. The only feature lost when converted is the rear TPMS.
The latest software update which I got yesterday FOC adds Android Auto.
There may be other differences but I'll not know until I've ridden a Tri Glide as the info on the HD website is very limited. There's no mention of the width. What is it??
Downside of the conversion is that its huge at 5ft wide and nearly 10ft long and as I found out yesterday the Honda dealer wont go near it not even for routine service work.
Riding the trike is a lot more natural now so upping the pace has highlighted some "features" of the trike.
First is how much effort is required to turn the trike in the twisties when upping the pace but it is something you get used to.
Could be a problem for anyone who switches to trikes due to upper body problems unless you are a slow rider.

The other feature which is more serious is the ride quality on poorly surfaced roads.
I understand that all 3 wheels use different parts of the road so the suspension will have to work harder than on a bike and the ride quality will never be up there with a 2 wheeled cruiser but to have to drop 20-30mph of your speed to avoid being bounced around like a rag doll and be left behind by the cars in front is ridiculous
I'm under 200lbs so the pre-load settings are redundant.

Anyone else think the same and come up with a solution or do we all have to slow done when the roads get bumpy?
yes I have a 2019 Tri Glide, just installed Super Shox on the rear. Made a huge difference, the bumps are not as jarring, check them out on the web.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Does seem that every set of shocks not made by Harley make a huge difference to the ride quality. You'd think Harley would pick up on that and do something about it.

I had a set of Revo A's delivered yesterday so just need to get them fitted.
I have arranged for the dealer to do it but the workshop is busy so it will be a while.
Did you fit them yourself and how long did it take?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does seem that every set of shocks not made by Harley make a huge difference to the ride quality. You'd think Harley would pick up on that and do something about it.

I had a set of Revo A's delivered yesterday so just need to get them fitted.
I have arranged for the dealer to do it but the workshop is busy so it will be a while.
Did you fit them yourself and how long did it take?
Yes I did fit them myself about four hours, took my time did a good job. You need to remove the body, no big deal, eight bolts for the body, six for the
tour pack. There is a YouTube video that shows this on a 2016. There was also one for the shocks I bought, probably one for yours. I agree I wish Harley would pick on the items we need to change to get decent performance. Changing the rear points out the front could also use some help. I read this in one of the reviews and noticed myself last night during my first test ride. Down the road perhaps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes I did fit them myself about four hours, took my time did a good job. You need to remove the body, no big deal, eight bolts for the body, six for the
tour pack. There is a YouTube video that shows this on a 2016. There was also one for the shocks I bought, probably one for yours. I agree I wish Harley would pick on the items we need to change to get decent performance. Changing the rear points out the front could also use some help. I read this in one of the reviews and noticed myself last night during my first test ride. Down the road perhaps.
Here is an update, just finished a short 300 miler on the rough Arizona roads. Tuned the shocks to add for the luggage and my wife, just 1/2 number up from their initial set. What a great ride compared to stock. I would highly recommend these shocks. I have not ridden a Legend setup, would love to compare. Again these shocks are 14 1/2” long and will raise your trike 1 1/2” over stock. The website says you cannot use on 2017 to 2021, however you can they need to update their site. They sell and you will need a special exhaust pipe addition that you trade for stock which gives you the extra clearance needed. It does raise 1 1/2” no lift kit. The shocks are $650.00 US the exhaust pipe is $140.00 US plus tax and shipping. Since moving to AZ I quit riding because of the rough roads, well that just changed. I will be putting a set on my Ultra Classic in the future and my wife can ride the Trike now that it handles much better. In any case this is my update, highly recommend, very happy with the results.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts