Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tried installing the custom dynamics truwrapz directional to replace the stock ones on the handle bars. The directions are not that bad but I wasn't sure how to wire them into the bikes wiring. I assumed I could just tap into the wires feeding the stock directionals. The next problem is that I wasn't sure how to do that so I decided to cut the wires going into the directional and I would splice them together and the new truwrapz would work. Well when I cut the wires they sparked due to not having the battery disconnected. I am an idiot! Anyway so I SPLICED the wires together after I disconnected the battery but now when I turn the bike on the headlight goes on but my directional buttons and start button etc don't do anything. The pump doesn't even start up when you turn the ignition on. How do you wire them without cutting the wires? Did something short out since the wires were cut hot? Brand new bike and I [email protected]$#d it up. Someone please help. :biker:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like fuse popped. Maybe ignition?

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,469 Posts
Just so you won't feel too bad, I'm an electrical engineer, and sometimes the wiring diagrams from HD baffle me. If you tried this without consulting the diagrams, lesson learned. Don't take this as a bad criticism, it's just that you went into a very complex wiring system blindly. You and I have both discovered that is not a good thing to do.

·
TGPNW
640 Posts
So I tried installing the custom dynamics truwrapz directional to replace the stock ones on the handle bars. The directions are not that bad but I wasn't sure how to wire them into the bikes wiring. I assumed I could just tap into the wires feeding the stock directionals. The next problem is that I wasn't sure how to do that so I decided to cut the wires going into the directional and I would splice them together and the new truwrapz would work. Well when I cut the wires they sparked due to not having the battery disconnected. I am an idiot! Anyway so I SPLICED the wires together after I disconnected the battery but now when I turn the bike on the headlight goes on but my directional buttons and start button etc don't do anything. The pump doesn't even start up when you turn the ignition on. How do you wire them without cutting the wires? Did something short out since the wires were cut hot? Brand new bike and I [email protected]$#d it up. Someone please help. :biker:
Hi welcome... Now what your problem?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Post an introduction in the new members area of the forum.

Too many one hit wonders ask a question and never return.

Just want to make sure you are still here before pulling out a wiring diagram.

·
Was Briefly First
1,753 Posts
Flip the handlebar switch from "Off" back to "Run".

Ask me how I know... :laugh

·
Registered
39,564 Posts
Hopefully none of the magic smoke got out. :eek

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Hopefully none of the magic smoke got out. :eek
They make replacement smoke now that comes in aerosol cans. It must be injected thru the fuse box.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Touring bikes after 2012 (I think that that's the year) have different setups for electrical. They don't work in the traditional voltage way where you just tap/splice into a wire to add an accessory. They work on a resistance 'test'. If you add something to an existing circuit it changes the resistance and the Body Control Module (BCM) doesn't know how to handle it properly.

Think of it as an electronic relay (a circuit board). You turn on your lights, the BCM detects the resistance and sends voltage to the lights. This is part of the HDLAN (HarleyDavidson Local Area Network)

Your best bet is to run your source wire from the battery (with a fuse/relay/switch) and leave the stock wiring alone. You can actually cause problems not directly related to the circuit you're dealing with.

Does your bike now throw a code?

I'm not an expert & didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But, I did attend our local dealers technical breakfast the morning that they discussed the new HDLAN and the BCM.

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
Just wrap electrical tape around it. It'll sort itself out.

·
Registered
11,993 Posts
They make replacement smoke now that comes in aerosol cans. It must be injected thru the fuse box.
Don't use the magic smoke from China. Its just smog from any big city over there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts