Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The aluminum wheels on my trike are like my first wife, High Maintenance !

What are others using to keep them clean and polished ?

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Here in England we have Mothers wheel cleaner in a spray is this the same stuff
If it does not say "Aluminum" on the bottle, I would test a small spot before using. I used Castrol wheel cleaner on my alum. wheels, and they turned spotty grey overnight, and were a bitch to polish out.
I also use Mothers mag/alum polish on all my alum. It does a good job, and doesn't require a LOT of maint., but you do have to keep up.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Thanks Breeze3at I just checked it out and yes it says Aluminium and mag wheel cleaner it doesn't seem that we have the paste in the tin but the spray bottle looks good .
Will get me a bottle thanks for getting back to me rider safe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tried that Mothers Ali cleaner on my wheels and your right it brought them up a treat still hard work though all that rubbing
i brought mine back using Mothers Aluminum cleaner and a very mild scotch pad,,,,,be careful ,,,,experimental for me but had to try something on a 7 year old trike i had just purchased,,,came out great,,,

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
Best stuff to use .
Friend of mine used some kind of wheel spray cleaner and damn near messed up his Rear wheels . Thanks too mothers he got them 99% better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I picked up the trike the salesman made a comment about waxing the wheels, didn’t think too much about it at the time

Fast forward 3 weeks and 300 miles and I’ve finally got a hydraulic lift which allows me to take the wheels off. Pleasantly surprised about how clean the underneath was not so pleasantly surprised about the condition of the wheels.

The staining and marks where unbelievable they looked like they’d been untouched for 3 years not 3 weeks. Not been cold enough for the roads to be treated so just a few showers had done the damage.

Four hours off cleaning, polishing and waxing and the wheels are looking OK. Had given the trike a wipe down after rides so visible parts of the wheel didn't look to bad.

I just do not understand the thought process where using untreated metal in a part off the trike that is guaranteed to get covered in grime and is also not easily inspected or cleaned is considered acceptable by anybody let alone a so called premium brand.

The inside of the wheel cannot be seen so could easily be painted black without affecting the look of the bike so is it simply HD saving a few $$$ or are there some really stupid people at HD.

The wheels have got 3 coats of Poorboys wheel sealant now so I’ll see how well that protects the wheels when the trike gets some serious use in more than a few showers.

The advice from HD should be don’t ride in the rain until you’ve treated the wheels which quite frankly is ridiculous.

Can you imagine the backlash if one of the Japanese manufacturers told its customers not to ride in the rain until you’ve done what we should have done.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
I couldn’t agree with you more.
It’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ran into with HD .
Luckily I’m a clean freak when it comes to my Bike or truck.
Mine is a 14 Rushmore.
My wheels look great.
I think it’s because I take a wet rag and wipe off the break dust after every ride.
Plus at least once a month I use this also.

Hope this helps
Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hadn't heard of Mothers until a couple off days ago and have some on order as it does get good reviews and I used the last of the Autosol I had on the rear wheels and I still have the front to do.

I'm hoping the Poorboys will do what it says and protect the wheels and the grime will wash off with normal cleaning and I'll only have to wax them a couple of times a year.

Otherwise it's going to be either powder coating or aftermarket wheels - can't believe I'm having to think about this on a 3 week old bike.

Now I know why I don't see Harleys being ridden in the rain.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Cant add anymore than what is already been said , agree with you about the wheels they should be spray protected at the factory any water on them or moisture on them soon makes them look shit and then it's hard work to bring them back .
Mother's is really good stuff but again it still takes a lot of hard work ( rubbing ) powder coating would be the cheapest option and still look good would like mine done in the twisted cherry colour to match my colour scheme of Wicked red / twisted cherry .
Where did you get your hydraulic lift from ? must be huge for a trike
is this the wax you bought PoorBoys Wheel Sealant 8oz, 236ml: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is the sealant I've used it was recommended by a friend of a friend who's into bikes. Only time will tell if it works on HD's.
I did get and use Mothers but don't think the end results are any better/worse than Autosol or Meguiars NXT all metal polish. All 3 use lots and lots and lots of elbow grease.

There's a few lifts around rated at 680kg but most are either Liftmasters or copies and I read some negative comments about inconsistent build quality so went with this.

It's lifted the trike with ease although getting it in the right place to lift it level is trail and error.

I've left it overnight without any problem but I do put back up supports under under the axle and front of the frame just in case so if it does fail it will only drop 5mm or so i.e. the weight is still on the stand. It does have the safety bars to stop it collapsing if the hydraulics falls so I'm probably doing the belt and braces thing.

It was delivered quicker than advertised and took 5 mins to put together. I went with the red one as on the website other colours had longer lead times.

So very happy with it and it's a bargain at 115E

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
BritTiker
When cleaning my wheels I use a dremmel with the cleaning (mop) end they get used up pretty fast but they are cheap to buy , I also use a well worn out green scourer it doesn't leave any scratches whatsoever & makes it lighter on the elbow grease .
I only clean parts of the wheel visible and accessible , if you go the route of lacquering or powder coating I would like to hear the outcome .
Like you I learnt the hard way those wheels are shit and very hard work

1 - 20 of 21 Posts