Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, I live in central ohio and was thinking about a trip up to the MoCo in Milwaukee. Thought about then heading to Duluth, Thunder Bay, Across to Sault Ste. Marie, then back down through MI home. total about 2,200 miles. My question is...
How sparse is it across the north shore of Lake Superior? Do I need to plan stops to eat, rest, gas, lodge or can I just sort of wing it? Anyone who has done this trip and would like to drop me input, do's and dont's, must see it is much appreciated. Obviously a late spring, summer trip. Thanks everyone. George

Attachments

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
That looks like a great trip. I suspect on the Canada side, don't let the gas tank get below half-a-tank. There are lots of little towns and villages, but fuel availability may be spotty and depend on the time of day. As for lodging, there are places. I checked using AAA's Triptiks and the maps they have show lots of services on that side.

AAA TripTik Travel Planner- Maps, Directions, Guides and Discounts

·
Registered
438 Posts
I made that trip a few years ago. It was a really good trip.
No problem with gas/motels/restaurants. Mostly family run, very few of the chains. Some places they had not seen dollars for a long time, but were willing to take them in place of loonies.
You will enjoy.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
I will be making part of that trip my self this summer. I will be going from Little Chute Wi north into Canada and east to Nova Scotia. Will follow your thread to see what people come up with.

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
I will be making part of that trip my self this summer. I will be going from Little Chute Wi north into Canada and east to Nova Scotia. Will follow your thread to see what people come up with.
Hawg Dawg I believe had a post on that trip. Maybe do a search to find it. I'll try to see what I can find.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You going to ride the Cabot Trail? We were there this past summer, got to ride the Cabot. Heads up though, it is a state park and there is a fee to ride it. We went clockwise and found out about a third of the way around that there was a fee.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
You going to ride the Cabot Trail? We were there this past summer, got to ride the Cabot. Heads up though, it is a state park and there is a fee to ride it. We went clockwise and found out about a third of the way around that there was a fee.
Yeah we are going to do the trail 1 day and the marine drive route the next. Would like to drive all the roads following the island shore line but I would run out of time. We will still need to head out and see Maine, NH, some of Mass. and then it will be time to start working our way back home.

Where do you pay the entrance fee? I reas on another blog regarding the fee and the author mentioned that if you just ride thru you wont have any issues but if you stop or pull over anywhere the park rangers will give you a ticket, but the author did not mention where to pay the entrance fee.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's just a booth along the way. We did alot of coast riding and it does take along time. That and the roads go from great to avoid the dark holes just around the corner.

NH, Maine, and Vermont were awsome and I will go back. If you have the time take the roads less traveled, the small towns and back roads are well worth it. Can't wait to get back to that area, but it will not happen in the near future, too many places to go and see.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the wonderful suggestions. I'm definitely going now. I guess after looking over all of the links and hearing all of your thoughts I need to add a few more days to the trip

·
Registered
763 Posts
Got to do the Cabot. There's 2 lanes when you come up to the toll booth. Just take the right lane & act as though you live on the cabot. They won't come after you

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
I did the Lake Michigan part of that a year or two ago. The UP on top of Lake Michigan (which is NOT on your trip) was pretty sparse. I had to pay attention to distances to the next town to make fuel decisions.

My guess is that it's even worse above Superior.

This is going to be an amazing trip. Please keep in touch so we can follow along.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts