Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Planning a rather long trip from Nebraska, through Wyoming, Idaho, Washington and a few other states, going through Canada and ending up in Alaska. Can anyone give me any insight on how easy/hard, short/long the border crossings can be? I've done it with a metal band, in a van with a trailer and those were always awful. I'm sure there was a bit of assuming on the part of the border patrol on "our kind", but I can't really blame them. hah. Just trying to get a feel for it and see if there are any laws I need to be aware of when crossing the border on a bike. Thanks!

·
Life long rider
138 Posts
Yeah... Canada is a helmet country. We didn't know that. The funny thing is they let us over the border pretty easy. They didn't mention the helmet law or the fact that we weren't wearing helmets. We crossed from Malta Montana into Saskatchewan. We got about 1\2 hour into Canada when we got pulled over by the mounties.. Very nice guy. He called the guy that owned the local snowmobile and power sports store, 7pm on a Sunday. The guy opened the shop and sold us helmets. His wife even fed us a couple of sandwiches. We had a great time going west to Vancouver then a ferry back to Seattle and on home to Colorado. Canada is full of very nice people, very friendly. Brit Columbia has some great riding.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Required to have a passport. No firearms or weapons. Period. Other than that, answer honestly and you are fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. Didn't plan on being on the edge of any laws, but sometimes you don't think of things and end up being in a tight spot. How are the alcohol laws? ha. any blue laws or dry places?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Yup on everything so far...helmets and passports, and no firearms. And if anyone in your group has a DUI or criminal conviction ever, you better get that cleared for travel before you get there. They may not let you in otherwise. You can apply for a Temporary Residency or Rehabilitation exemption ahead of time to get cleared and not take the risk. Or you can roll the dice and hope they let you in. Passengers are included in that. They can be denied too.
Entering Canada With A DUI

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
The temporary thing is only once and will cost about $250 if it has not gone up.
The Temporary Residency thing is a short term one time thing. But if whatever you were convicted for happened more than 5 years ago, and you've paid all fines and done your time so to speak, you can apply for the Rehabilitation exemption and have it permanently cleared for travel provided you don't screw up again.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Been there. The rehabilitation thing will cost you between $1000 and $1500 for the application to the Crown. It still can be denied with no refund.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Been there. The rehabilitation thing will cost you between $1000 and $1500 for the application to the Crown. It still can be denied with no refund.
Dayum!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts