Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trip meter/ range button inop on 15 road glide special. Will not display odometer when pushed with ignition off. First noticed yesterday before a 250 mile ride with NippleSurfer. Disassembled and inspected once yesterday and the very thoroughly this morning. All other switch functions are normal. My diagnosis is that the small printed circuit board to the thumb switch has failed. Should be warranty. going to talk with the dealer this morning. If the switch assy is not too expensive, and they have it, I may just buy it to avoid waiting on an appt.
Curious if there are any others out there that experienced this failure?

·
ZVO
1,416 Posts
My trip button failed as well...only somehow it cycled through trip a, trip b, miles, etc every-time i
i pulled in the clutch! Lol

Don't buy it, just get it warrantied and ask them if you can install it yourself. If that fails tell them the job takes 5 seconds can they squeeze you in next time you ride down.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Soldier. I just tried with the clutch lever pulled and nada. I think I will throw a T25 and T27 and jewelers screwdriver in the saddle bag and ride down to see them.

·
Retired citizen
24,500 Posts
Try removing the maxi-fuse for 5 minutes, that'll reset the system and maybe get the trip button working.
Have the FOB near the bike to disable security.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will go give that a try right now. Thanks Schmidty

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If that works doe that signal an underlying issue?

·
Retired citizen
24,500 Posts
If that works doe that signal an underlying issue?
Not really. Any time there's an electrical glitch on newer H-Ds I try the maxi-fuse trick first. It sometimes works.
If the problem re-occurs then I would have it checked.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It did not work. It went to "diag" after fuse reinstalled. I got it out of diag but symptom remains

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
did not know how, so no I did not.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can't find a sticky on running diagnostics

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well that confirms my thoughts.... I tried that but it did nothing. I thought that was how to do it but the switch is not responding. Not being able to display milage with key off and depressing that button either.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will go try that Kainam

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nope, switch does nothing

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the help. I am pretty certain the switch is bad.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.