Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Dyna Superglide. The problem I am have is sometimes when I hit the starter switch, nothing happens. No click, the lights don't dim, nothing. It happened for about a week over the holidays. I have installed a solenoid kit,starter relay, and a new battery just before thanksgiving. I put a battery charger on it New Years Eve and the next day bike fired right off. Same thing Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Fired first time everytime. Then Monday night tried it and again nothing the first few times i hit the button, then it starts. wait a minute and nothing. Went out to get on this morning and it started with no problem. So, could it be the switch going out. Or maybe the starter itself is the problem. Don't know what else to check. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I have a 2005 Dyna Superglide. The problem I am have is sometimes when I hit the starter switch, nothing happens. No click, the lights don't dim, nothing. It happened for about a week over the holidays. I have installed a solenoid kit,starter relay, and a new battery just before thanksgiving. I put a battery charger on it New Years Eve and the next day bike fired right off. Same thing Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Fired first time everytime. Then Monday night tried it and again nothing the first few times i hit the button, then it starts. wait a minute and nothing. Went out to get on this morning and it started with no problem. So, could it be the switch going out. Or maybe the starter itself is the problem. Don't know what else to check. Thanks for the help.
Check the starter relay first, then if that is not the problem, starter switch on bars.

·
Retired citizen
23,355 Posts
Starter solenoid contacts are corroded. Typical starter problem.
First disconnect battery power, maybe Maxi-fuse on your bike.
On the starter remove the triangle cover, 3 screws and pull the plunger out. Inspect the plunger plate for pitting and the contacts inside the solenoid for the same.
If pitting is present the contacts and plunger plate can be cleaned up with abrasive paper. If badly pitted a solenoid repair kit can be installed to replace worn parts. No need to remove the starter.

·
Just Ride
3,252 Posts
Double check your solenoid kit. Then battery connections and the little wire that on your solenoid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First thing I replaced was the starter relay. Second was solenoid kit. Third was battery.
Have checked the connections, but will do so again.
Thanks for the replies.

·
Banned
71 Posts
First thing I replaced was the starter relay. Second was solenoid kit. Third was battery.
Have checked the connections, but will do so again.
Thanks for the replies.
Don't forget the ground strap on the engine to frame . :)

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Starter solenoid contacts are corroded. Typical starter problem.
First disconnect battery power, maybe Maxi-fuse on your bike.
On the starter remove the triangle cover, 3 screws and pull the plunger out. Inspect the plunger plate for pitting and the contacts inside the solenoid for the same.
If pitting is present the contacts and plunger plate can be cleaned up with abrasive paper. If badly pitted a solenoid repair kit can be installed to replace worn parts. No need to remove the starter.

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup
Scott

·
7 Posts
If you don't hear anything click, chances are its the starter button contacts or wires to the relay.. Listen closely for the starter relay.. If you can hear it click then it will be the wires between the starter relay and the starter solenoid.. Common issue is corrosion on the spade connector to the solenoid on the top of the starter.

·
Old Scooter Tramp
1,367 Posts
Had a wire back out where ya plug the starter relay in that backed out on mine. Had to pull the block out to get to it to put it back. But this was on an 09 heritage, so not for sure how much difference there is...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First thanks for all the replies. Just an update. I got to work a week ago wed and bike would not start for trip home. Same thing push button and nothing, no click from relay. rolled down ramp to start and headed home. Stopped at store on the way forgetting the problem and again would not start. For some reason I pulled the relay out and tapped it on the ground and put it back and bike fired right off. Got home and it worked several times. Next morning, nothing. Went into shed and found the old relay( glad I don't throw anything away). Put it in and bike started. Has been starting for over a week now with out a single problem. The new relay was only about 1.5 months old. Old one has about 100,000 miles on it. go figure. Anyway again thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Check the starter relay first, then if that is not the problem, starter switch on bars.
I would check these first, real easy and I have had both go on my 08 rocker. A new starter relay is only seven bucks (such a deal...LOL). I carry one now since mine konked out in the woods...sigh...it's in your fuse box. 1 minute to change.
My handle switched failed last year...65 bucks and a little pain switching out but not hard at all...
Hope it's that easy...

·
Retired citizen
23,355 Posts
Good to hear the problem is resolved.
If the symptom reoccurs lift the dash up and inspect the bottom of the ignition switch. If you can see green corrosion in the slots in the switch plate then the switch insides need to be cleaned or the switch replaced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts