Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys and gals. ok im new to the harley world. but i picked up an 2002 sportster 883 custom it did have aftermarket pipes and i did the oil and primary oil changes and new plugs old ones looked real good i don't think any thing has been done to it. only 7k on miles was very cold natured and spitting back on the carb. so i cleaned the carb drilled the plug to tune the idle jet carb was pretty gummy. tuned it after a good warm up ride and still cold natured and even after a good ride if i stopped for just a short time it would be ruff start. it started right up but didn't want to stay running. and the cold start was like it only hitting on one cylinder part of the time got better as it warmed up. but had a bad hesitation if you hit the throttle. so was thonking air or vacuum leak. so i did complete carb vacuum piston wich did have a split. accelerator pump kit rejeted with the vortex tube and 45/175 jets and screaming eagle air filter and replaced the intake manifold seals wich had some bad spots on them. and new vacuum/fuel lines. and still the same problem the bike runs out great. I'm lost. what am i missing. oh and thanks for the forum

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
How did you clean the carb?, did you take it apart and soak it in carburetor cleaner? If not. start over re-clean, make sure the diaphragm is intact, make sure all jets are clean, make sure the needle jet is not upside down.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Another thought! Check the ignition. Take off the cover and see if the ignition has been hot. Sometimes they even melt. Take a look, ignition can sometimes mimic carburetor problems.

·
Old Skool
497 Posts
What Bob said about the Carb. Ethanol does Bad Things to all those Tiny Passages inside the Carb.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes carb was disassembled soaked and cleaned all ports blown out new nets and tube cleared. haven't looked at the ignition are you referring to the switch or coil pack

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and one other thing at warm up it will ide steady for a bit and then slow down for a moment and then speed back up

·
Wayward Son
23,289 Posts
baffles are in but the packing was gone
So they are not straight pipes.
Other then that not sure exactly what you mean.

and one other thing at warm up it will ide steady for a bit and then slow down for a moment and then speed back up
Sounds like a vacuum leak.

·
Retired citizen
23,216 Posts
Remove the 'points' cover and look at the ignition module, if it looks like it's melted it's junk. The 'ignition' module is also called the cam sensor. Common problem on those Harleys.

·
Retired citizen
23,216 Posts
Yup, looks good. Watch the red diode when the engine is running, should blink every time the ignition fires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts