Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
06 Road King
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member to the forum. I just bought a 2006 Road King Custom FLHRSI. I think the speed/tachometer has been changed from the original, the face is silver. The tachometer is not working properly, sometimes is works well other time is does not seem to work at all. When the tachometer is not working right the bike seems to not idle right either. Any idea on what the problem might be. I have pulled the console off just to look and see if any of the wires or loose, they appear to all be in good shape.

is there any known problems with the 06?

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
Sounds like the tach is shorting the coil intermittently. The tach gets it's signal from the coil. I would double check the wiring at the speedo connector. Unplug it and pull on each terminal wire. Tach wire is usually pink.

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
Welcome from Conway, SC. Great bike, hope you get the problem solved.

·
06 Road King
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Schmidtys, I will try that........ SO SORRY, I did not mean to do that.

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
He called me shittys !!! That's what I get for helping ! :what?

·
06 Road King
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so far I LOVE the bike, I really did not expect to like how it handled or felt as much as I do. I have never owned or even driven a HD before this purchase. My first bike was a Honda night hawk, than I had a Honda CBR, then a Yamaha Vstar 950. I have always heard on comparisons people not say that much good stuff about HD's. I always heard things like well its a Harley. I always thought they meant that to be a bad thing. They talk about how its not as refined as the other bikes and how the bike shakes. well now I understand what the mean by "well its a Harley" it does not feel like any other bike I have ever ridden, yes is does vibrate and no it is not as refined as the v star, but yes I do believe I do love the Harley much much more. It feels like what I think a bike should feel, I like the vibration to feel the power of the engine the torque, it is freaking awesome. I also have never driven anything with ape hangers and did not think I would like it, but it was actually comfortable and was extremely easy to control. All in all I am very happy with the Bike.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Welcome from Houston.

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
How did you get away with changing that demeaning post with my name. I thought it was funny but now nobody else is going to know why I said that.
Way back when, my nickname was "Shitty Schmidty". I don't know why ?

·
Banned
71 Posts
How did you get away with changing that demeaning post with my name. I thought it was funny but now nobody else is going to know why I said that.
Quote the post in your reply from now on, if you want to save it . :thumb

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
so far I LOVE the bike, I really did not expect to like how it handled or felt as much as I do. I have never owned or even driven a HD before this purchase. My first bike was a Honda night hawk, than I had a Honda CBR, then a Yamaha Vstar 950. I have always heard on comparisons people not say that much good stuff about HD's. I always heard things like well its a Harley. I always thought they meant that to be a bad thing. They talk about how its not as refined as the other bikes and how the bike shakes. well now I understand what the mean by "well its a Harley" it does not feel like any other bike I have ever ridden, yes is does vibrate and no it is not as refined as the v star, but yes I do believe I do love the Harley much much more. It feels like what I think a bike should feel, I like the vibration to feel the power of the engine the torque, it is freaking awesome. I also have never driven anything with ape hangers and did not think I would like it, but it was actually comfortable and was extremely easy to control. All in all I am very happy with the Bike.

I go for soul over refinement.

Every time. And not just in motorcycles. (Music, women, whisky, beer, etc,etc)

Welcome!

--

·
old scoot coot
3,707 Posts
welcome, from s.e. kansas. where you at in oklahoma? im in coffeyville. congrats on your new scoot. i experienced the same feelings as you when i first rode my road king. long live the king. these guys on this forum are very sharp on these machines. they will have answers to your questions. spring has sprung, lets ride! tommy

·
old scoot coot
3,707 Posts
they probably called you that cause they liked you, and it rymes, thats cool too.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Welcome from Washington St. I had an 800 Suzuki and then a Yamaha Road Star. After I rode my younger brother's 05 RK Custom, I was done. Got my 09 Classic in August and love it. Just isn't anything like it. I love my Wide Glide too, but they call it a Road King for a reason.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Welcome from Virginia. Now you can appreciate the phrase..."If I have to explain it, you won't understand."

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Road King is the best bike Harley makes IMHO. When I first got on mine (gone now) I felt like I'd come home. Still miss it.

·
ZVO
1,416 Posts
Ask your closest dealer to run the vin hopefully someone somewhere has done service on the bike and the mileage was logged.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts