Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to drive yesterday. Took a hot load N on 81 75 or so miles. Then back loaded ground road asphalt.

Just heading S 81 leaving Syracuse up grade car to my left front bumper several cars stacked up in back, I was doing 67 or so MPH.

Left Tag axle tire blew! These are larger tires for the extra weight. Cars in back dove all different directions the one on left front may have soiled himself. There was a large cloud of blinding dust and all kinds of shredded rubber tire going every where.

A pair of motorcycles had just when by me a few minutes earlier N of Syr and they had just poked by. If they had been beside me or just in back of me it would have been very serious.

I can not tell enough people on bikes or cars do not ever just hang out beside or just poke by heavy trucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
844 Posts
It just kills me to see or be behind someone passing a semi doing 1 mph faster than the truck. I believe, whether I am in a cage or on my bike, to get on by as quickly as possible. When a car/bike tangles with a truck, they automatically come out second!!

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I'm already in the habit of, when I'm overtaking a big truck, getting around it very quickly even at the risk of getting a ticket.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I never hang around a truck in a car or on a bike. We had a 11R 24.5 tire go boom in our shop. Blew out 2 windows, all the paint cans and other stuff on a shelf went flying. Wheel weights went across the shop and 4 mechanics pooped themselves. Couldn't hear properly for hours and it blew one sprinkler head off and we got a shower till we could get the fire suppression turned off. There is a lot of power on a truck tire. Also I don't like those brake pots aimed at me in case one fails. A VERY large nasty spring lives in there.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Harvey, glad you and everyone around you were ok. Who paves those those darn roads out there? :D

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I always loved when I was coming to a stoplight and the little car jumps in front of the 68 thousand pound truck. They just don't understand that they just took the room that you were planning on for your stopping distance so you didn't have to smoke your brakes.

·
Registered
40,072 Posts
Arent those locks on wrong for those lug nuts?

They should be butting up against the center axle bearing cap if they were to loosen, shouldn't they?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Had a steer tire end up like that once... Never did find that tire. It blew out and the steering got heavy to the right. I floored it and fought it back into some kind of control then hit the shoulder. After collecting myself I crawled out of my rig and went to check out the damage. The tire was GONE but, the rim was still there. The outer lip of the rim was ground smooth but, that was it.

Tire only had 30,000 miles on it! The other tire ran almost 100,000 miles...

·
Registered
40,072 Posts
Retread or new tire?

·
Bird Whisperer
1,742 Posts
About 20 years ago I was hauling iron ore here in Michigan with a set of doubles, 154,000 gross.
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1411180995.708553.jpg

It was fall, gorgeous colors. I was crossing over the Cut River Bridge in the UP of Michigan. People on the walkways on both sides of the bridge snapping pics.
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1411181204.551124.jpg

I was about in the middle of the bridge and one of my trailer tires blew. Sounded like a cannon. Never did hear if anybody jumped over the edge. That was a long way down.

·
Registered
40,072 Posts
They should be illegal altogether. Zero quality control on those things.

·
Earthbound misfit, I
2,448 Posts
Retreads are illegal for use on the steer axle in Canada and I bet they are illegal in the U S A as steer tires as well

Yes they are. I grenaded a rear axle trailer tire just south of the TA in Brunswick, Ga in the rain one night. Cars scattered everywhere!

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,600 Posts
It just kills me to see or be behind someone passing a semi doing 1 mph faster than the truck. I believe, whether I am in a cage or on my bike, to get on by as quickly as possible. When a car/bike tangles with a truck, they automatically come out second!!
Worse to me is the trucker(s) that will take 10 minutes to pass another trucker to gain a half mph advantage. Seems to be the norm wherever I roll lately. It tends to cause a sense of frustration and impatience in those behind and sets up some potential nasty situations.
I am also one of those who was passing a rig on the slab a few years back and had a tire grenade as I was passing. Won't admit to having to clean pants or not, but it was not a pleasant experience and I feel like I am one watched over rider....thought I was a gonner. Pieces of tire "shrapnel" went all around me and nothing hit me nor the bike....total miracle.
Basically, FWIT, my advice is to get around the big rigs as quickly as possible. following close behind or alongside is inviting a disastrous outcome.

·
Registered
40,072 Posts
Sounds like your guardian angel puts in as much overtime as mine does KD.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Harvey ... yes I do follow your advice.
there are a bunch of reasons to keep motorcycles well away from big trucks. you just gave one very good one :)

dT

·
Registered
946 Posts
I don't know about down south but here there are a lot of quality control checks on recaps. The company we used x rays the casing before it gets capped. There was also a date stamp and any tire over 5 years old would not be used on the highway it would only go on a city truck.
I was riding one day and met a truck in a curve and a complete cap came off and went over my bike and landed behind me.
I turned around and followed the truck till he stopped. I told him that his tires looked low on pressure. We found a gauge in the truck and on his 8 drive tires 6 were way low. Heat kills recaps and under undated generates a bunch of heat. The bad part is this driver had no idea.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Harvey, I hang back till it's clear, then go fast a possible past a truck. I never sit beside em even in the cage. Glad nobody was hurt .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts