Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am toying with the idea of getting a new Harley. I have my eye on a few models would like to see if anyone owns them and what there feed back is. The models I have been eyeing are the Electricglide stander soft tail deluxe and the soft tail sportsglide don’t know if I’ll pull the trigger on a new Harley but would love to hear what the owners likes and dislikes are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
896 Posts
My ride is a '14 Ultra. I love the bike, hate the radio. From my understanding of the Electra Glide Standard, it is the same as an Ultra short the radio, tour pack and lower faring. (So i don't get what the difference is between a SG and a EGS is?) I have ridden the SG and a Soft tail. The Soft tails have iconic styling and imo are beautiful bikes. The ride has the greater amount of "sporty" ride to it. All be it a harsher ride. The narrow front wheel does like to track in highway grooves more so than the touring bikes with the wider front tire. The Street Glide that i rode has had some upgrades to the suspension and had a Stage 3 performance upgrade to it. Its ride is a little less "sporty" feel to it vs the soft tail. But with the added wind protection of the bat-wing faring makes this a much more comfortable cruiser. The Ultra is the King of comfort on a long haul. Mine is stock (except added lights). I considered getting a tour pack delete kit for it but, every one i have even heard of that has these kits, don't use them. (That tour pack is just too damn handy!) I removed my lower faring for one ride, put em back on before the next. I "thought" by removing them the felt heat of ridding in the desert would be less...WRONG! it was much worse! H.D. knew what they were doing with those added lowers! They help keep you warmer on a cold ride, while keeping your lower legs and feet much cooler on a hot desert ride.
The bottom line is what do you want to us the bike for:
Soft-Tail = A cool lookin' Hot Rod like a Bucket T.
S.G / E.G.S. = Corvette.
Ultra = Cadillac.

There is something for everyone. Test ride, test ride, test ride. One of them will just plain "speak to you". You can't pick the right bike. The right bike will pick you!
Have fun!

Reactions: deckerhand

·
Registered
10,710 Posts
My ride is a '14 Ultra. I love the bike, hate the radio. From my understanding of the Electra Glide Standard, it is the same as an Ultra short the radio, tour pack and lower faring. (So i don't get what the difference is between a SG and a EGS is?) I have ridden the SG and a Soft tail. The Soft tails have iconic styling and imo are beautiful bikes. The ride has the greater amount of "sporty" ride to it. All be it a harsher ride. The narrow front wheel does like to track in highway grooves more so than the touring bikes with the wider front tire. The Street Glide that i rode has had some upgrades to the suspension and had a Stage 3 performance upgrade to it. Its ride is a little less "sporty" feel to it vs the soft tail. But with the added wind protection of the bat-wing faring makes this a much more comfortable cruiser. The Ultra is the King of comfort on a long haul. Mine is stock (except added lights). I considered getting a tour pack delete kit for it but, every one i have even heard of that has these kits, don't use them. (That tour pack is just too damn handy!) I removed my lower faring for one ride, put em back on before the next. I "thought" by removing them the felt heat of ridding in the desert would be less...WRONG! it was much worse! H.D. knew what they were doing with those added lowers! They help keep you warmer on a cold ride, while keeping your lower legs and feet much cooler on a hot desert ride.
The bottom line is what do you want to us the bike for:
Soft-Tail = A cool lookin' Hot Rod like a Bucket T.
S.G / E.G.S. = Corvette.
Ultra = Cadillac.

There is something for everyone. Test ride, test ride, test ride. One of them will just plain "speak to you". You can't pick the right bike. The right bike will pick you!
Have fun!
I agree with everything 1/2 Ton said. But...., let me add some. You may find the perfect, or near perfect for you now bike. And you will enjoy the hell out of it. But things have a way of changing. After not riding for 30+ years a new 1200 Sportster was my dream bike. And I enjoyed it immensely. But I found myself wanting to do longer rides. Some overnighters. And even on trips of less than a day I wanted to be able to haul some "stuff". So I needed more bike, with more comfort, and more storage. And, yeah, I like my tunes sometimes as well. So, anyway, I went from my Sportster to a Dyna Fat Bob. Then went to a RGC. Now ride a RGU. In my early days of getting back into riding a Touring bike didn't do a thing for me. Now...., I'll never have anything else. So, keep an open mind, and start squirreling away some bucks so if you need to upgrade later.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Love my 2016 Ultra Limited . . . went from a 2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 to the Ultra Limited and have never looked back! It is definitely the Cadillac of bikes and is so comfortable and easy to ride. I debated installing the Tour Pak Quick Detach kit but I always use the Tour Pak - even if it's only to lock the helmets in it (my wife and I both have half-helmets and they fit perfectly inside the Tour Pak). Wish I would have made the purchase years earlier but the timing just wasn't right.

·
Registered
896 Posts
BTW: Removing parts or making stock components "convertible" is way less expensive than adding on. Just sayin'.
Like adding a tour pack to a ... At least a grand! if you want it painted to match... while a tour pack delete kit is around half the cost. The end result looks the same!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW: Removing parts or making stock components "convertible" is way less expensive than adding on. Just sayin'.
Like adding a tour pack to a ... At least a grand! if you want it painted to match... while a tour pack delete kit is around half the cost. The end result looks the same!
What I like about the Electric glide standard is all the Storage it has without the radio and it’s the softtails it’s the looks and weight. Not big on the whole boom box and radios on bikes.

·
Registered
38,466 Posts
I currently use a Sena headset unit in my helmet. Having music makes the miles go by much easier IMO.

·
Registered
10,710 Posts
I currently use a Sena headset unit in my helmet. Having music makes the miles go by much easier IMO.
I never even had a hankering for a bike stereo or any other means to listen to music while riding. But...., bought my new '13 RGC and there it was. AM, FM, weather bands. And I bought a used phone (ipod ???) from my neighbor and from her laptop my wife was able to load about 11 hrs. of old 50's and 60's rock and roll music from some of the many (and I really mean MANY LOL) sets of CD's with the good old music I would order off of late night TV ads into the used phone and I play that through the bike. Now I LOVE having my favorite music on.

Now, with my '16 RGU, I've really only used the BoomBox GPS for a trip a couple of times. Still figuring out some things about that! But I leave the GPS screen up cause even in familiar areas it's nice to be able to look at the screen and see the names of the upcoming cross streets.

·
Registered
38,466 Posts
Yeah, and with the Android Auto support, you can pipe Google Maps to your BoomBox screen, and it will show you upcoming speed traps, accidents etc. :D

·
Registered
896 Posts
What I like about the Electric glide stanrd is all the Storage it has without the radio and it’s the softtails it’s the looks and weight. Not big on the whole boom box and radios on bikes.

Personally, if I were looking to replace my Ultra, the Electra Glide Standard, would be my first choice. However I'm in no hurry to give up one of the most reliable engines Harley ever produced. For one that's bigger, but not so proven. I couldn't be happier with my Rushmore, so long as remember to turn off that stupid radio, before shutting down the bike.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I actually love having the Boom Infotaiment system on my Ultra Limited. I am a talk radio junkie so on days that I ride in to work (40 miles) I enjoy being able to listen to my favorite station. On trips, I've used the navigation system and I like that too. I have a mount for my phone, but without readers (or if the sun is shining just right) I can't see my phone anyway. Was running low on fuel a couple years ago and the navigation system popped up a number of gas stations in the area for me to ride to. It's not a "necessity" item, but it's pretty cool and fun to play with all the features.

The weather radio is a nice extra . . . it popped up while I was riding to inform me of some severe weather that had just developed.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I actually love having the Boom Infotaiment system on my Ultra Limited. I am a talk radio junkie so on days that I ride in to work (40 miles) I enjoy being able to listen to my favorite station. On trips, I've used the navigation system and I like that too. I have a mount for my phone, but without readers (or if the sun is shining just right) I can't see my phone anyway. Was running low on fuel a couple years ago and the navigation system popped up a number of gas stations in the area for me to ride to. It's not a "necessity" item, but it's pretty cool and fun to play with all the features.

The weather radio is a nice extra . . . it popped up while I was riding to inform me of some severe weather that had just developed.
DRVMN, I am assuming that your bike being a '16 Limited, you have the big screen radio. I have very little knowledge or experience with the big screen radios.

I have the 4.3 boom box (small screen with the buttons on the sides). My pet peeve with this radio is: Why the hell did they tie the phone volume to the radio volume and make FM the Power ON default? I use my phone GPS / Calls. I set the volume just loud enough where i don't have to hear everything twice. If i forget to turn off the radio whenever i stop for gas or whatever. As the ignition is switched on, the radio (defaulted to FM) With the Volume at least 10X louder than i would EVER listen to, LITERALLY BLOWS out my EARS. STUPID FUKKN DESIGN!

Then I have to take extra time to set it all back up on start-up. That is another PIA when on a group ride and everyone else is waiting for this dumb ass to make is fukkn phone work...AAARRR

I don't listen to FM, but have ZERO control over it. Yes i could change it out but, I am not about to pay the exorbitant $$$ to do so. (I don't spend that kind of money on a home entertainment system) So why would i put that much money on a bike radio, just to turn it off???

I cant even tell you how many times i have wanted to put my fist trough that damn radios face plate.
IMO the ONLY good purpose of the 4.3 radio is the "INFO" screen: RDS on/ off, air temp and oil press.
My next investment for my bike will be a Blue tooth communication for my helmet to phone. Just so the radio can STAY OFF! As a bonus, i get rid can cut the cord! 😁

·
Registered
10,710 Posts
1/2 Ton, my '16 RGU also has the big screen so I'm not familiar with the differences between the two different size screens. But, like you, no matter what level I have the volume set at when I turn off the IGN but leave the radio & GPS on when I re start the radio comes on at full volume. But nowadays if I just stop for gas I don't turn the IGN off--I just switch it to ACC. So, fill with gas, turn the switch from ACC to IGN and start her up and my radio is still playing at the volume I set it at. Also, by not turning the IGN off when I re start from the switch being in ACC I don't have to wait for the GPS to re boot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DRVMN, I am assuming that your bike being a '16 Limited, you have the big screen radio. I have very little knowledge or experience with the big screen radios.

I have the 4.3 boom box (small screen with the buttons on the sides). My pet peeve with this radio is: Why the hell did they tie the phone volume to the radio volume and make FM the Power ON default? I use my phone GPS / Calls. I set the volume just loud enough where i don't have to hear everything twice. If i forget to turn off the radio whenever i stop for gas or whatever. As the ignition is switched on, the radio (defaulted to FM) With the Volume at least 10X louder than i would EVER listen to, LITERALLY BLOWS out my EARS. STUPID FUKKN DESIGN!

Then I have to take extra time to set it all back up on start-up. That is another PIA when on a group ride and everyone else is waiting for this dumb ass to make is fukkn phone work...AAARRR

I don't listen to FM, but have ZERO control over it. Yes i could change it out but, I am not about to pay the exorbitant $$$ to do so. (I don't spend that kind of money on a home entertainment system) So why would i put that much money on a bike radio, just to turn it off???

I cant even tell you how many times i have wanted to put my fist trough that damn radios face plate.
IMO the ONLY good purpose of the 4.3 radio is the "INFO" screen: RDS on/ off, air temp and oil press.
My next investment for my bike will be a Blue tooth communication for my helmet to phone. Just so the radio can STAY OFF! As a bonus, i get rid can cut the cord!
That’s why I like the stander don’t have to worry about tech issues like that. Hope you got it sorted out or will soon

·
Registered
896 Posts
1/2 Ton, my '16 RGU also has the big screen so I'm not familiar with the differences between the two different size screens. But, like you, no matter what level I have the volume set at when I turn off the IGN but leave the radio & GPS on when I re start the radio comes on at full volume. But nowadays if I just stop for gas I don't turn the IGN off--I just switch it to ACC. So, fill with gas, turn the switch from ACC to IGN and start her up and my radio is still playing at the volume I set it at. Also, by not turning the IGN off when I re start from the switch being in ACC I don't have to wait for the GPS to re boot.
I will give that a try! Thanks Joe!

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I am toying with the idea of getting a new Harley. I have my eye on a few models would like to see if anyone owns them and what there feed back is. The models I have been eyeing are the Electricglide stander soft tail deluxe and the soft tail sportsglide don’t know if I’ll pull the trigger on a new Harley but would love to hear what the owners likes and dislikes are

I love my 2019 Heritage Softail. Comfortable, easy to handle and plenty of power. The saddlebags hold what I need.

I like the Sport Glide too but have only sat on a few. I moved up from an Iron 883.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The Sportglide will have you putting new heels on your boots on a regular basis, as that bike just eats up curves and handles good enough that you will be making use of all that lean angle......and grinding the corner of your heels in the process. I did that on just a test ride and wasn't near the end of the bikes or my ability. Fun bike to ride.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts