Harley Davidson Forums banner

Trying to ID this Build

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  bbally 
#1 ·
Looking for a little help from the pros on identifying Frame/Forks/Engine/Trans or anything else if you know what it is.

Want to try and replicate this chopper but need some schooling on what is what.

I have hi-resolution photos I can email on request.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Engine is probably a '66-'69 generator Shovelhead (flat side, slab side, kidney or erroneously called "Pan-Shovel"), from angle of photos, frame is a wishbone rigid (HD or aftermarket) looks raked. Forks are springer, mechanical drum brake rear, zero front brake. Dry clutch, mousetrap foot clutch (possibly suicide, forgot spring position), jockey shift (or as American Chopper dudes call them suicide shift) on a rachet top trans. Damn thing has a speedometer! I can't ID the tank, and my Scotch is empty. over & out!

#5 ·
Slab side shovel, rocker foot clutch. Primary side view of cases are too large for knuckle.

#6 ·
Thanks guys,
There is a painted '63 on the left side of oil tank so thinking that is referring to the frame?? Wishbone rigid frame is what can't seem to pin down as to yr. or model. Headstock is molded and so is the little wishbone cross member below the neck-piece. Is the backbone or top tube brace also molded into the top of the wishbone like the headstock?? Do people do this kinda work? or is there a stock frame like this? minus the rake I guess.
I have much better pictures(big file size) and can send to anyone the dropbox link for a closer look if they like.
I've been told the engine is a pan bottom with shovel top but be nice to confirm that (as per comments of Pete / Breeze .380 make me wonder now/ do a lot of people make that mistake??)
The forks are maybe a reproduction of a 1948 Harley Davidson Offset Springer Front End as the look identical except for the length. Not sure if there is a method of modding stock ones or if they just copied and stretched them.
Been told the oil pump looks steel which should mean '66-'67 but not sure...
Stock Rocker foot clutch most are agreeing on.
I've uploaded a closer shot of the motor and another angle of left side.
The white chopper beside it is a stock early '60s panhead right? Are the bottom ends of the motor the same or does it just look that way to the untrained eye??:)
Thanks again for your time. you have given me somethings to think about.

Attachments

#10 ·
No Shovel in the picture at all.

Brown looking bike with the wood work pegs and tree branch highway pegs is about a '38 Knucklehead engine. 61 CI :about 34 HP.

The white bike is a pan... but I am having trouble aging it.

I am guessing 1965 because the electric start looks original match. I would guess someone grabbed up a wrecked '65 FL engine and trans and built a hardtail.

#11 ·
Chas; You're correct that no Shovelheads came with the soupbowl/stamped primary (all Shovels came with elec. start), but Big twins engines and transmissions are separate, and any number of primarys can be run. My '68 Shovel eng. has an open belt primary attached to a '80's transmission. It also has the finned slabside cam cover (photo in my garage). The "Cone" cover came out in 1970 when the alternator was introduced.

For the post after yours about it being a Knuck,, well just wrong.

Edit: to clarify about the finned/ribbed cam cover. I do believe it is/was either a HD or aftermarket accessory. They came with a smooth cam cover.

#13 ·
It is "NOT A KNUCKLE HEAD" as breeze said it is a generator shovel head or better known as a Pan/Shovel head. Hard tail frame, molded and raked at the neck. Springer frontend ,
foot clutch jockey shift. Carb appears to be a S&S Super B. If you are looking to replicate this bike, recommend contacting "Denver Choppers" for frame and "Pat Kennedy" for frontend. If you want all original, start looking around now. If not, you can purchase after market products.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.