Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I leave for the work commute on my dyna wide glide (99) at the ugly hour of 4:00am. I've been at this for a couple of yrs. and I was wondering if my startup and leaving the hood without a proper warm up will hurt the engine in the long run? Startup and rolling down the road lasts 1-2 minutes,seems like the oil pressure might suffer along with all engine internals,but I feel a bit rude for the early noise hence my early departure from my street. They the neighbors have'nt complained yet,but my only real concern is my engine and transmission. Should let it warm up a couple more minutes or just deal with the maybe's of harm to the motor??

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Asylum Inmate
12,397 Posts
Multi viscosity oil will have no problem with fire and go!

The film strength on the trans lube will handle Oregon temps no problem!

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,967 Posts
Agree with BB!

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Since our bikes are mostly roller, needle and ball bearings, as opposed to a typical automotive engine which is full of pressure fed plain bearings, no harm will come to it. If you start and then move away slowly for a few minuets, that is plenty of warm up for the oil.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I agree with start and go,,,, slowly for at least a few blocks. I gradually increase rpm with distance ridden. I do this with everything with a engine.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yeah no problem especially with the synthetic oil, I've been doing that for 11 years, not because of the neighbors but the price of gas was over 4 bucks a gallon, can't waste a drop at that price

·
Registered
18 Posts
I Start mine and let it idle for 30-60 seconds then ease off at little more than an idle for as long as I need to clear the residential area.

·
American
28,714 Posts
I start and go, like you I keep RPM's low for few mins. or until I'm out of the neighborhood!

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
let your dog poop in there yards and your bike noise will not be a neighbor issue
:laugh As long as they have stepped in it at least once then tracked it into their house first. :nod

Was always told, starting after HD went to dissimilar metals. Jug/head. No more iron heads. That a warm up was to allow for metal expansion and proper gasket sealing.
But that was just a few years ago.

The primary Dealer, then later on trusted Indi`s, I went to always told me start and go.
So. I did. Colder weather I may have waited long enough to come off the choke. But not always.
Never a problem.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
heck just sling it at there cars as they drive by - or wipe it on there windows-
plenty of ways to piss off neighbors non bike related

·
Be alive!
131 Posts
Easy arroun the coner and than yust make a hell of good morning ;)

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
As ling as you aren't "lighting up" the neighborhood you should be ok.

Reactions: JTJ

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I start and go almost every morning at 4 am also. neighbors are cool about it

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
I leave at 4 or 4:30am also and let her warm while I roll her out of the garage and none of my family or neighbors say they hear it and I think she is loud with the Fuel Moto head pipe and the 4" Rineharts.

·
RIP Michael
86 Posts
I leave at 4am also and drive to Portland from Vancouver. I start and go. I use all synthetic and haven't had any issues. A couple of the older neighbors actually thanked me for trying to be as quiet as I can. One of them said he actually wakes up on the mornings that I don't ride to work as he has gotten so used to the bike it that it breaks his routine when he doesn't hear it.

Marc

1 - 20 of 48 Posts