Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was online searching for a set of tires for my 2006 FXDWGI with 21" and 17" laced wheels.
Every sales site listed tires in the proper sizes BUT they were always marked as "tubeless" and I need tubes in my tires.
Sure, just stick a tube in those tubeless tires and don't sweat it? I did that once and got less than a thousand miles before rough spots inside the tires wore holes in the tubes.
Sooo, does anyone know if they make tube-type tires in D402F MH90-21 and K591 160/70B17?
Or, have they decided to make tubeless tires smooth inside to accommodate tubes?

·
weird member
2,226 Posts
Most "tubeless" tires I have seen are all smooth inside. It's fine to run a tube in them. I don't know that anyone makes a tire specifically for running tubes, they're all tubeless tires as far as I know.

When I first got my last bike, it had a 402 tire on the laced front with a tube with no problems. After that, I ran a Shinko, then started running Dunlop American Elites... all tubeless tires, ran tubes in them with no issues.

·
Wayward Son
23,255 Posts
FWIW. There is a kit to make spoked rims able to accept a tubeless tire.
No expetience with one though.

As Sard said. And am doing it myself. Tubeless Avon Venom 23" on my spoked front FXST rim.

Reactions: sardonicus87

·
Registered
38,489 Posts
Yup tube in a tubeless tire here too. Spoked front wheel.

·
weird member
2,226 Posts
FWIW. There is a kit to make spoked rims able to accept a tubeless tire.
No expetience with one though.

As Sard said. And am doing it myself. Tubeless Avon Venom 23" on my spoked front FXST rim.
Yeah, there's a way to make spokes tubeless, involves sealing the spokes and stuff, but I dunno how long it lasts or if it's worth doing. Like, I dunno if the kits are worth a crap, and I know people have used stuff to seal them by just painting something (not sure what) over where the spokes come through. But I would imagine anything like that is going to be temporary, and any adjustment to the spokes could potentially break the seal.

A tube is like $2-5. Sure, may add up over time, but not that much.

Only thing is, make sure there's not like, a sticker or something inside the tire that could rub the tube? I've seen that one happen before (sticker got a fold in it and rubbed a hole in the tube).

I would also imagine most tire manufacturers use a smooth interior mold for making their tires. Seems would be more cost-effective to make a tire that could run either tubed or tubeless, instead of making separate tubed and tubeless versions. You notice too, all the nubs and seams and release/injection stickouts are on the outside of the tires. And I have seen motorcycle tires sitting on the racks and don't recall ever seeing one with a rough inside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'm gonna go with tubes in tubeless. The ones I had problems with were many years ago and, as sardonicus87 said, it would be smarter for the tire companies to make the tires work with both setups. I'm guessing that nowadays they keep the insides smooth.

·
Try'n to behave
5,771 Posts
I have a fat spoke front tire with no tube. Not sure what the sealant is as it was already on there when I got the bike, but I've had it almost 2 years without any issues. When I was changing tires, I was going to put a tube in, but decided against it since there wasn't one in there and I wasn't having problems.

·
weird member
2,226 Posts
A lot of times it’s just silicone. It has so many good uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I figured as much myself. I just don't know if the sealing just seals the nipple hole (he he he, sorry, I am a bit drunk at the moment), or if for a proper seal, it needs to penetrate the nipple all the way into the spoke threading or if just sealing at the rim is enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was online searching for a set of tires for my 2006 FXDWGI with 21" and 17" laced wheels.
Every sales site listed tires in the proper sizes BUT they were always marked as "tubeless" and I need tubes in my tires.
Sure, just stick a tube in those tubeless tires and don't sweat it? I did that once and got less than a thousand miles before rough spots inside the tires wore holes in the tubes.
Sooo, does anyone know if they make tube-type tires in D402F MH90-21 and K591 160/70B17?
Or, have they decided to make tubeless tires smooth inside to accommodate tubes?
i have and continue to run tubes in tubeless tires on my sportster for years, no problems

1 - 12 of 12 Posts