Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had bikes with Power Commanders III's, SERTS, Power Commander V's, and truthfully, for just a stage one, they didn't do very much at all. Some caused me all kinds of headaches. Some made my bike run much worse. I've been told by several HD techs and independent mechs, one with over 30 years experience, that bypassing the 02 sensors, which most aftermarket tuners do, isn't a good thing to do. My current bike runs great on the simple dealer download. I had all sorts of problems with the "tuners", so I decided to forgo those with this bike. I'm perfectly happy with the download. Works fine for just slipons and airbox. The mechanics I asked said tuners are "overkill" for just a stage one. Everyone I talked to said the download is absolutely working great on their bikes. Everyone except people on internet forums anyway! Maybe, if you plan to do more than that, a tuner might help. But, seriously, I know dozens of people running the download, some for lotsa miles and lotsa years, and they had zero problems and are perfectly happy with their bikes. Who on here has a tuner, and who is running just a download? Happy with what you have or not?

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
I had the stage 1 on my bike (high flow air cleaner and SE slip-on pipes) and no tuner and the bike ran great. Then I upped the cam 1 size and added a V&H Fuelpac, I had issues that wouldn't tune out. Once I removed it and got the stage1 flash from the dealer, it runs great again. I am getting just what I expected and heard of from my SE301 cams, a little more power no milage reduction.

You'd really only have a need for a tuner when you cam up, flow and port heads, true dual, and or jug up. I just don't see how a bike is going to get any real performance increase with only high flow a/c and pipes. Sounds like a waste of money and or miss information. My first bike was carbed so I changed the jets for the stage1 but I also live at 4400ft and needed to jet it anyway.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I did a PC-III on my Heritage with the rest of the Stage 1 goodies. I noticed a modest improvement. I don't know that it was so much in numbers performance, but it did pull easier and generally seemed to be straining less in most any situation.

The biggest issue that I did notice was that the bike ran significantly cooler with the tuner installed. With just the slip-ons, it got VERY hot in warm weather. It was much less so when I added the PC-III.

I just got a PCV in the mail today for my Electra Glide. If I only get the modest performance and the same cooler operating temps, It'll be worth it to me.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Well the way i have been told, a stage one doesnt richen the fuel mix, just adjusts the timing and rev limiter. Becuse the moco cant do anything that doesnt compky to the epa standards. I didnt get the stage one download but i did get a set of xieds that fool the ecm to make it run a lil richer, 14.7 stock to 3.9-14.2 after. For what you have id suggest them. Question ia are you running lean with the stage 1? Do you still have decel popping? If so then your lean.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
hd4evr, here are the results of my mods from stock, to Stage I and just recently, a Stage II Big Bore Kit. Bottom line: tune it.

In January 2012, I upgraded to a SE Stage I with Vance & Hines Big Shot Longs. After the modification, initial horse power was a negligible 66.41 with 79.43 ft-lbs of torque. After the Dyno, horse power increased modestly to 72.44 - a 6.03 point increase. Torque wasn’t much better increasing only 6.14 ft-lbs to 85.57 ft-lbs.

Over the winter I upgraded to a SE Stage II Big Bore Kit with SE-255 Cams displacing the 96 ci to 103 (1690cc). This included changing out the stock cams to 255s, as well as the cylinders and a few other parts. After the dyno, I realized only a slight increase in power coming in at 88.13. The torque was much more significant. Pre-dyno torque measured 103.82 ft-lbs. But, after the adjustments, torque measured a whopping 108.22 ft-lbs! This is a 22.65 ft-lb jump in torque from the Stage I kit (85.57 ft-lbs to 108.22 ft-lbs.).

The difference is absolutely amazing and well worth the cost. Tune your ride; you’ll appreciate the power and performance upgrades.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts