Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 SG with a 96" and getting ready to put on a set of RC components true duals with slipons. I have a stock air cleaner and not sure what one to put on yet. I'm pretty sure that the bike has a factory tune and I have no idea just what to do with fuel management or air cleaner to get. Do I need a dyno tune or just a dealer set up(stage 1 or 2)? What is a good air cleaner to use? Looking at a screaming eagle cone type or just maybe an RC components breather?

Thanks for the responses.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
About all of the aftermarket air cleaners will work. Not much difference in them besides style and personal preference. They will all flow more than a lightly modified engine needs.
You can just have the dealer flash your ECM for a stage 1 for now.
If you go with a fuel programmer read the existing posts. That subject has been covered a lot and it will still come down to personal preference. Lots of good ones that will do what you need.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Actually you need neither!

You system comes with O2 sensors that will manage your tune for you. Mind you, if you go to new cams then definitely look at a PC or the like.

·
Was Briefly First
1,753 Posts
Actually you need neither!

You system comes with O2 sensors that will manage your tune for you. Mind you, if you go to new cams then definitely look at a PC or the like.
You don't need it, that is true. You won't damage the bike or anything by not having some sort of fuel mod.

However, the bike will absolutely run better if you do. Those O2 sensors are narrow band, and not real time. With decatted head pipes, and if you go to a high flow a/c, you will almost certainly experience some decel popping if you don't do something about fuel management. Also, the factory setting are intentionally lean, to meet epa standards. Richening up the mix will give you better performance, and generally cooler running temps.

Me personally, if you aren't planning on doing anything else after the exhaust and ac, I'd have it dyno tuned and call it done. The "stage 1" download the dealer offers will only adjust the timing, it still will run lean, so you'll get rid of the decel popping, but still not be getting the full effect of your higher airflow in terms of performance.

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
Mister B, are you sure the 2011 has narrow band O2 sensors ?
Agreed on the fuel management system richening up the AFR to get a cooler running engine though. The Stage downloads won't do that.

·
Was Briefly First
1,753 Posts
Agreed on the fuel management system richening up the AFR to get a cooler running engine though. The Stage downloads won't do that.
I'm fairly sure that all stock O2 sensors are narrow band. I know in 2009 or 2010 they had 18mm bungs, but they were still narrow band sensors afaik.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
I'm fairly sure that all stock O2 sensors are narrow band. I know in 2009 or 2010 they had 18mm bungs, but they were still narrow band sensors afaik.
My 09 EGC has the narrow band sensors.

·
Registered
78 Posts
12mm O2 sensors are narrow band 18mm O2 are wide band.

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
I have installed RC True Duals and RC Slip-ons with H-D Stage 1 air to be added on my 2015 SGS. I'm going to also purchase the Screamin' Eagle Pro Tune fuel management programmer. The bike and tuner will be taken to the dealer for work on the dyno. My feeling is better safe than sorry concerning my warranty. If something happens to the headers or mufflers shame on me, if something happens to the motor hopefully there won't be any issues since they tuned it. You know it's a crap shoot whenever we change our bikes, but I have had several conversations with the folks at the dealers. I will have bought all my parts and pieces from them and installed all the hardware I can myself, but I will leave the tuning and dyno up to their experts. That's my personal comfort zone with respects to these stage 1 mods. Hope to add cams down the road, sooner rather then later, and I'm certain there will be more tuning at that point, which I will have them doing the cams and the tuning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
04 road glide

question ......04 road glide s&s power tune exaust rhinehart slip ons 509 cams screamin eagle air cleaner what suggestions for a fuel management system does it need to be dyno'd I hate seeing bikes on them dyno machines it seems like they have an edge if my bike is going for a beat down I wanna beat it down but I no you gotta do whats right for the bike

·
Banned
71 Posts
question ......04 road glide s&s power tune exaust rhinehart slip ons 509 cams screamin eagle air cleaner what suggestions for a fuel management system does it need to be dyno'd I hate seeing bikes on them dyno machines it seems like they have an edge if my bike is going for a beat down I wanna beat it down but I no you gotta do whats right for the bike
A PowerCommander will work fine for you . Really no need for a dyno unless you are trying to ring every last bit of HP out of it . :)

·
old scoot coot
3,683 Posts
im going to decat. are vieds ok. they are less expensive than tuners and can adjust them to avoid decel pop and mixture. thanks, tommy:what?

·
2008 FXD
156 Posts
I put on Rush 2 into 1 pipes , K&N a/c and a Power Commander V from FuelMoto and a new set of NGK Iridium plugs on my 96" 08 FXD
and it runs great. Did it all myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts