Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Harley has a V&H FP3. I upgraded the motor from 96" to 107" and I've been riding with the FP3 in auto tune. I've been told that I need a Mastertune II. Why would I need a Mastertune II ? Can it do $450 of improvement in performance over the V&H FP3?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
fp3 is about the same as screaming it cant make the correct changes for your tune, if you want optimun performance get \it dyno tuned and the tuner will tell you what to use. I got my power vision for $375. It will run with your fp3 but it isnt correct. Your bike, your money. Dont let a harley shop tune it, take it to a good independant.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fp3 is about the same as screaming it cant make the correct changes for your tune, if you want optimun performance get \it dyno tuned and the tuner will tell you what to use. I got my power vision for $375. It will run with your fp3 but it isnt correct. Your bike, your money. Dont let a harley shop tune it, take it to a good independant.
Yes, they recommenced the Master tune for Dyno tuning. But, why did they put my V&H in auto tune, then recommend a Master Tune?

·
Frozen Member
2,329 Posts
Yes, they recommenced the Master tune for Dyno tuning. But, why did they put my V&H in auto tune, then recommend a Master Tune?
Because while the FP3 auto tune is very effective, in order to go a step higher and get a dyno tune you need a tuner they can connect to with a computer and the FP3 is one that the shops arent usually set up to work with.

If you have a fairly well completed FP3 auto tune done you need to install it to overwrite your existing map and use it. The FP3 will also save your existing map if you want to step back and use that one again.

I ran an FP3 auto tune, ran the bike on the dyno to get the numbers on the existing map then installed my auto tune and ran it on the dyno again. It showed a distinct improvement with a smoother curve through the powerband and increases in HP & torque.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
This will answer a lot of questions on tuners

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thank you for the video Jim. I think Kevin Baxter answered my questions. The Master Tune II is superior to the V&H FP3. It gives control for tweaking a lot more variables than the FP3 and therefore, I will get better Dyno results. For the build I just had done, I want every lb/ft and all the power it's capable of. Thank you (y)

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
It answered some questions for me too. The explanations were understandable.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The auto tune shouldnt do anything to a good dyno tune. Most dyno tuners lock things out so you cant change or copy there tune, thats why you pay them .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts