Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front turn signal bulb (1157 amber) on my 2006 CVO ultra classic burnt out. Should I get a pair of upgraded bulbs, and if so what do you recommend? or should I just buy a replacement. Just thought I would get some opinions and hear some of the options out there. Thanks in advance.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,119 Posts
Considering you've got 9 years out of a bulb, I have to ask, why are you thinking about an upgrade.. not trying to be a smart aleck just curious.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Depends....do you want more light??

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
You can get a two pack of 1157 ambers for cheap at any auto parts. Or you can get some LED bulbs for several times the price and wonder if they will 1) work as running and turn, 2) hope they draw enough current to activate the TSSM flasher. I'd go for the tried and true.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Considering you've got 9 years out of a bulb, I have to ask, why are you thinking about an upgrade.. not trying to be a smart aleck just curious.
Actually I only got 9 months out of the bulb, bought the bike last year with just over 9000 miles on it. I always hear others upgrading their headlights, aux lights, and tailights. Just want to see what is available for turn signals.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Actually I only got 9 months out of the bulb, bought the bike last year with just over 9000 miles on it. I always hear others upgrading their headlights, aux lights, and tailights. Just want to see what is available for turn signals.

I would steer you towards Custom Dynamics and their turn signal/driving light combos. Raise your visibility to cagers, and add some night time light is win/win in my opinion.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
I did on my Softail.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,119 Posts
That is a pretty "short" life for a bulb... pun intended. The only thing I can add is to not take any short cuts, my nephew tried one of those plug in bulbs on his tail light (LED), it actually cut his visibility. Wasn't as bright as the conventional bulb.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
That is a pretty "short" life for a bulb... pun intended. The only thing I can add is to not take any short cuts, my nephew tried one of those plug in bulbs on his tail light (LED), it actually cut his visibility. Wasn't as bright as the conventional bulb.

If it was the "cheapo" crap from one of the big box auto parts places, I'm impressed that it even worked.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,119 Posts
If it was the "cheapo" crap from one of the big box auto parts places, I'm impressed that it even worked.
J&P.. it sucked, he was running lead, in the sun I had a hell of a time seeing his tail light.. didn't like that one bit.

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
Although the custom dynamics look interesting, I decided to just buy another standard Amber 1157.
Good choice and cheap enough!

Light bulbs on motorcycles, IHMO, don't last as long compared to a cage since the bike naturally has more vibration caused by the engine, chassis and from the road. These vibrations and bouncing will shake the bulb filament shortening it's life.

The tail light bulbs in my 2010 Honda SUV are original and still going strong.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts