Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 92/93 883 and I'm guessing I have a short in my right turn signal wiring because it will randomly start blinking at an inconsistent rate as if the wire is going hot. I already have the tank off and before I go piling into the cluster of wires in the headlight I was wondering if I can just snip my front and rear turn signal wires and pull them out completely and just get rid of the blinkers all together. Is it that easy or is there other things I need to take out like a tsm or cancellation unit?

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
One other thing to consider are legal issues.
But that is up to you to decide.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Are you sure?
Pretty sure the feds mandated turn signals on bikes after 82(?).

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
A lot of people down here use those hand signals, but it usually results in a fight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I've been told by the police, they don't even work anyways and I never use them, I could care less if it's legal or not. Give me a fix it ticket I'll pay it and be on my way. I didn't post this to be lectured on laws I posted to learn what I need to do to eliminate the turn signal system all together so unless you've got something to say about that there's some rocks over yonder that need a good kicking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is your opinion that it is good advice. One I do not share. That makes me a rock? So you're saying that I'm an idiot because my opinion is different than yours, solid logic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I have a 92/93 883 and I'm guessing I have a short in my right turn signal wiring because it will randomly start blinking at an inconsistent rate as if the wire is going hot. I already have the tank off and before I go piling into the cluster of wires in the headlight I was wondering if I can just snip my front and rear turn signal wires and pull them out completely and just get rid of the blinkers all together. Is it that easy or is there other things I need to take out like a tsm or cancellation unit?

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Scooter, YOU came on this board to get information. Members here have tried to advise you that what you intend or desire to do is possibly illegal if you do it and then ride on public roads and streets. You are now angry with members here, but I can tell you that NO ONE here is going to advise you on anything potentially against the law and put themselves, members , or this site in a potential legal situation. For the same reason, no one is going to advise you to do something that presents a potential safety issue, and those signals do come under that domain.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Tread lightly lil Scooter.
You will catch more flies with honey then vinegar.

Dang! There I go again giving more advice.

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
Tread lightly lil Scooter.
You will catch more flies with honey then vinegar.

Dang! There I go again giving more advice.
Classic old school quote have not heard in many years..:thumbsup

Hey scooter you can like my buddy does on his Deuce. "Im old school and don't use my turn signals like hand signals. "

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Cool. I think you'll be fine dropping them.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
On a 92 you'll be fine, I think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I mean our state requires us to signal but it isn't required to have indicator lamps. There is nothing illegal about it at all. Totally fine guys I'll just rip it all out anyways, appreciate the help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just pulling the wires or do I need to take the cancellation unit out or the tsm or whatever? Absolutely cannot find anything on it lol.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Easy/quick way to eliminate the electrical problem is to cut the wires at the back of the ignition switch.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
That's what I've been told by the police, they don't even work anyways and I never use them, I could care less if it's legal or not. Give me a fix it ticket I'll pay it and be on my way. I didn't post this to be lectured on laws I posted to learn what I need to do to eliminate the turn signal system all together so unless you've got something to say about that there's some rocks over yonder that need a good kicking.
You overreacted.

:nah
I just love when good advice is wasted on a rock.
You engaged in name-calling.

It is your opinion that it is good advice. One I do not share. That makes me a rock? So you're saying that I'm an idiot because my opinion is different than yours, solid logic.
You asked for opinions.

If you can handle one more opinion, given in the spirit of trying to be helpful, perhaps it might be as simple as removing the turn signal bulbs. It's never really a good idea to do wiring modifications that can't be reversed, unless absolutely necessary.

--IMHO, of course

--

1 - 20 of 27 Posts