Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Machine: 2008 FLHRC

I have over 5000 miles of experience on this gadget and am ready to make the turn signals totally manual (as they were on all of my previous machines). I have the shop manual but it is lacking in explanations of how things work, only has repair procedures. Is there a: 1. fuse, 2. Connector, 3. wire I can snip to make the turn signals only cancel manually, not automatically when coming out of a turn or after having traveled some distance? The "serial data" wire to the turn signal module seems like a good candidate, but I would like confirmation before I start taking things apart.

It seems that even after 5 months and 5000 miles of experience with this device, I still find that the signals have canceled before I wanted, or have not canceled when I believed they should have. I have 40+ years of habit pattern to cancel signals myself and find that is the easiest way for me to go. Thanks for any help.

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Try changing.......

The blinker fluid.
I use synthetic.:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Think yourself lucky you have self canceling ones. On my '90 Sporty it has the old style push on/push off button on each handlebar. I've always had difficulty getting them to work easily, when negotiating tricky junctions, swapping sides etc, with leather gloves on, but yesterday was the daddy of them all.

I managed to have BOTH turned on together, but there is no way to tell, as when both are on you have just a real feeble light in each turn signal, and no indicator below the speedometer to show you they are on. But when I press one to make a turn the indicator light starts flashing, but the OPPOSITE turn signal comes on, as I am simply turning one OFF, not on. I can't see the actual turn signals flashing as they are behind the bars.

The only way I realised what was happening was when I stopped by my dads house and he noticed all four lights were flashing very dim as I pulled up.

That could get a guy killed, and I'm trying to find a way to stop me doing it again. The buttons aren't the best design either, as they are sort of curved in, and need a good solid push to operate with gloves on.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the 08 Road King, the indicator lights are nice and bright, no problem telling when the blinkers are on. The problem is that if they have just canceled and the last time I looked, they were still flashing, then the button push to turn them off actually starts them again. It is only a problem when traffic gets challenging and I don't have time to look down as often as the irritating system requires. Either someone knows how the cancel signal is put into the turn signal module, or I'm wasting band width here.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Machine: 2008 FLHRC

I have over 5000 miles of experience on this gadget and am ready to make the turn signals totally manual (as they were on all of my previous machines). I have the shop manual but it is lacking in explanations of how things work, only has repair procedures. Is there a: 1. fuse, 2. Connector, 3. wire I can snip to make the turn signals only cancel manually, not automatically when coming out of a turn or after having traveled some distance? The "serial data" wire to the turn signal module seems like a good candidate, but I would like confirmation before I start taking things apart.

It seems that even after 5 months and 5000 miles of experience with this device, I still find that the signals have canceled before I wanted, or have not canceled when I believed they should have. I have 40+ years of habit pattern to cancel signals myself and find that is the easiest way for me to go. Thanks for any help.

The turn signal fucntion is controlled by the TSM or TSSM, depending on if you have the Security Module or not.

You can PROGRAM the TSM/TSSM to be strictly manual on and off if you desire. You don't cut ANYTHING. Cutting the Data BUS wire to the TSM/TSSM is not adviseable.

If someone has the Electronics and Diagnostics Manual for the 2008, the would be able to post the procedure. I have one for my 2003 V-Rod, but I don't know if it's the same procedure.

RJ

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, just out of curiosity, as I assume they are indeed different, what sort of connector and software are required to gain access to the workings of the TSM? (No security module.) This sounds like at least a $100 project, whether I get the dealer to do it, or I get the equipment to do it myself.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thank you, just out of curiosity, as I assume they are indeed different, what sort of connector and software are required to gain access to the workings of the TSM? (No security module.) This sounds like at least a $100 project, whether I get the dealer to do it, or I get the equipment to do it myself.
No interface. You cycle the Igntion in a given pattern, and watch the turn signal indicator on the guage to give you a series of confirmation flashes. Then you use the turn signals to toggle through the choices.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rjrievero

I provided the requested info in the pm, if you didn't get it, I may have done something wrong in the "reply" function, please let me know if I need to try again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts